ketone levels not one size fits all?

Options
nill4me
nill4me Posts: 682 Member
Hi. I have a question for those of you that have been doing this for a while, and/or keto-adapted for some time...with regard to your ketone levels if you measure. I think I'm almost keto adapted...i say almost because i'm still waiting for energy levels to increase...but, some of my struggles there are thyroid related, and thats another issue all together.

I am 3 weeks in, and have seen overall improvements in inflammation....majorly. I've also seen improvements in sleep patterns, brain fog, restless legs at night, and leg/feet cramping at night. GI issues come and go....but are not constant. These are all wonderful things, in my opinion, and most of what I have been striving for.

I have read that measured morning blood ketones "should" be between 1.5 and 3.0 for optimal fat burning. Do you all find that to be true, or do you feel that it might be more individualized than that. I average between 1400/1600 calls per day. My BMR is estimated to be around 1700, and TDEE is estimated around 2000, from the ankerl calculator. I am usually at or under 20g carbohydrate. My protein is the hardest to manage, and fluctuates between around 60-80g (usually. sometimes around 50/55g), which I probably need to keep a closer eye on.

The highest morning ketone reading I can manage is 1.4....and that is rare. I'm usually anywhere between 0.6 and 1.1
maybe some people just ride more on the cusp? Maybe I need some tweakage, or to manage my protein better.

As an aside, According to doc's scale, I gained 1.5lbs from last friday to this. I'm not all that worried about it...just a little surprised. I am going to order a caliper this week, so that I can more accurately measure actual fat loss. Just wondering about others' experiences. Thanks.

Replies

• WellChi81
    WellChi81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My understanding is that your ketone levels will always be higher at night. I no longer test my ketone levels in the morning - I test them after I get home from work and before dinner. Levels between .5 and 5 are considered therapeutic - so if I ever fall below .5 - I go back and adjust my carbs and protein downward. I've found if I stay around 20 grams of carbs and 70 grams of protein - I will stay in Ketosis without problem. (I am 5'2" and weigh 130 pounds). I've read a lot about Paleo/Primal and the Atkins diet - but the best information for getting into and staying in Ketosis - that has helped me the most was from Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore (recently published), The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Stephen Phinney and if you exercise much - I recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

Small fluctuations is your weight is completely normal. Some weeks it will just melt off - other weeks you'll not change a bit - or in your case even gain a bit. If you really get into a stall - you could try a fat fast for a few days (3 - 5) to break the stall.

Keeping a record of what you are eating every day will also help - as you can see what you did just before your Ketones dropped - or when you are not losing - then tweak your macros a bit - typically the culprit is too much protein or carbs - or too many calories overall. Everyone is different so you have to work out what works best for you.

Keep at it - Good Luck!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You need the blood ketone level to be 0.5 and above.

You don't need to have it at high levels to see loss from nutritional ketosis. There do not appear to be any benefits in trying to pushing blood ketones higher than 3 millimolar, which is about as high as most people get eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet. I've had mine at 2.4+ at times and it didn't necessarily result in bigger or faster losses. What really mattered was cutting the carbs. That was and is key. Keep tight control over the carbs.

As the previous poster mentioned, your weight can fluctuate. It can fluctuate within the same day depending on sodium intake, your period/PMS, whether you went to the bathroom or not, heavy exercise/muscle repair and a lot of other factors.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I appreciate the input. I'm not all that worried...was just curious. The other overall benefits I've had, especially the reduction in inflammation...and better sleep patterns, reduction in RLS, totally make it all worth while.