Mindful Eating: Successes? Thoughts?

Options
Hi everybody! :flowerforyou:
I'm new to this group, new to faithful logging, and new to the realization that I'm not just an over eater; I'm a binge eater.
My story is long and probably familiar to many, but suffice it to say that I have a decade of disordered eating under my belt (haha) and I'm tired of hating and starving myself after a binge, I'm tired of feeling like I have no control over myself when a binge starts, and I'm tired of the steady weight gain of the last 6 (very stressful) months.

About 6 years ago I watched the Paul Mckenna "I can make you thin" show on TLC, and I've thought about it often, but never put it into use. The thing is, when I'm with my significant other, I eat slowly and stop when I'm just barely full without any effort. Part of it is the way we eat; no TV, sharing a serving at restaurants, eating slowly, eating often. And part of it is that I'm too ashamed to binge or get too full and bloated in front of him.

But it works, because the two days I spent with him this week, I ate less than I do on a great 'diet' day, without even trying! Without feeling deprived or hungry or thinking about what I am 'allowed' to eat.

Here are Paul Mckenna's 4 principles:
1. When you are hungry, eat.
2. Eat what you want (not what you think you "should".)
3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
4. When you are full stop.

And here are how I interpret them for my own personal problems:
1. Don't go long periods of time without eating, because then I get really hungry and eat too much, too fast.
2. Don't limit myself to 'diet' foods; eat food that I enjoy; eat what I'm hungry for.
3. Eat slowly and without distraction: No TV, no internet, no books. Take small bites and chew thoroughly. Put the food/fork down in between bites.
4. Listen to my tummy, learn when it is full, don't feel the need to finish what I put on the plate, don't finish something that can't be reheated (fast food) just because it's a 'waste' of money (I'd pay that money to lose weight, so there).

I would love to hear some success stories or maybe get some other fellow binge eaters to try this with me.

I've already eaten my breakfast this way and I'm surprised by how little I needed to feel full!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    i love this and I'm a big fan of mindful eating although I only incorporate it in a limited way.

For me, I tend to template my meals (like the food plate) and eat the full plate of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't stop early according to hunger. However, I've followed my hunger signals on a bigger picture to develop my daily template (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner) and then I may not eat or have a bigger or smaller snack depending on my hunger that day.

This eating style + eating mostly home cooked and minimizing refined carbohydrates while still having them in small amounts + committing to track everything even on "bad" days seems to do WONDERS for my binge eating.

I do try to appreciate my food and cook things I really like and savor them. I also think mindful eating is especially helpful when you are out at a restaurant or party and need to navigate very tempting foods. It feels good to be able to enjoy myself and have something i don't usually eat.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you for posting. Food for thought for sure :)