Question for women in keto/low carb...

Options
Did your monthly cycle change in any way?
I've been active here on MFP since April, but I was struggling to lose weight just counting calories, so 3 weeks ago I started a low-carb/keto diet. I'm eating 20 grams of net carbs or less per day - I think I had one or two days at 25 grams. I've lost 9 pounds my first two weeks, but this week I started PMS so haven't shown any loss for the past week, which I'm assuming is water retention and is totally normal for me.
But my cycle has been very different this month. For example, all my adult life I've been at a 26 or 27 day cycle. Today is day 29 and it feels like my period is struggling to start and I have killer PMS...ugh...
I'm wondering if the keto diet is causing a delay in my cycle and making me feel a bit worse than usual. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Keep a record. One month is a data point, not a trend.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is the only way I ovulate. I don't even ovulate on medications used to induce ovulation.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping track of my cycle...
    I thought it could be more than simple coincidence that on the very month I drop my carbs my cycle changed.
    I came here to see if anyone else experienced something similar. That's all.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think my period is coming on full-fledged now. So hopefully I will go back to feeling normal soon - I was feeling great on low-carb/keto up until the last few days. I will have to see if this continues to happen as I stay on this eating plan. Maybe my hormone levels are changing due to my new way of eating.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My period did an adjustment after a few months of keto (short 25 days in one cycle and a longer 29 days in another cycle). It is all based on hormones, and insulin is a hormone. I keep track of my period using a free app --period tracker. My periods the first few months seemed heavier. However, my body is back on schedule and not as heavy as it was.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Personally, keto is the best thing I ever did for my cycle. I have PCOS and haven't had a regular cycle, ever! I could go months without out one. Since starting keto in March I now have a 28-30 day cycle and although I can't be sure, I think I could be ovulating. I have a free iphone app called period tracker that is great for tracking things if anyone needs it.

After I posted I saw the previous post saying mentioning the same app. lol. see! it works!
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the LCHF strict for about 2 weeks now. My Period actually started early this time, even with me being on birth control.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I realize this thread is a couple of weeks old, but wanted to weigh in, as I had the same concerns.

My period changed over the course of the 2 yrs I've been doing Keto. It's much heavier now, as in, I can't leave the house or be away from a bathroom for more than 2 hours...that is...unless I have a change of clothes :angry:

And it's almost 2 hours to the MINUTE. That means for about 3 days, I need to be near a bathroom every 1.5 hours. I don't even want to talk about sleeping :sick:

My cycle is not every 21 days long with 7 days of shark week. This puts me out of...ahem...commission more often than not :sick:
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and like another post here i have found Ketogenic eating helpful so far. I actually had a period which was good as often i don't get one at all recently which leaves me constantly a bit on edge. I tend to bleed very heavilly and that is not good when never know when it is going to show up. Once i have had one I am usually in the clear for at least 30 days but have had 14 day cycles and 67 day cycles and anything in between. I had nothing at all for over 2 years once.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I wanted to note that I don't have PCOS.

I know plenty of folks with PCOS eat this way because of it, however, I hadn't expected my cycle to change so it kind of caught me by surprise.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Did your monthly cycle change in any way?
    I've been active here on MFP since April, but I was struggling to lose weight just counting calories, so 3 weeks ago I started a low-carb/keto diet. I'm eating 20 grams of net carbs or less per day - I think I had one or two days at 25 grams. I've lost 9 pounds my first two weeks, but this week I started PMS so haven't shown any loss for the past week, which I'm assuming is water retention and is totally normal for me.
    But my cycle has been very different this month. For example, all my adult life I've been at a 26 or 27 day cycle. Today is day 29 and it feels like my period is struggling to start and I have killer PMS...ugh...
    I'm wondering if the keto diet is causing a delay in my cycle and making me feel a bit worse than usual. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, my cycle changed in the beginning. I was very regular at 27-28 days just like you. The first month on Keto I swear if I didn't know better I would have worried about being pregnant. It took almost 35 days to get my period. After that my period came more or less on time, but it's much more painful than it has been in the past.