Hello! I'm new!

Options
Hi friends,

I am just embarking on a trial period with paleo. My primary goals are to lose about 25 lbs and manage the symptoms of my mild PCOS (acne, low energy, anxiety. Nothing life altering, but definitely annoying.) I'm not planning on giving up alcohol, so I think I can probably aspire to do about 85/15 of good paleo eating. I've never tried restricting anything but calories before, and I'm struggling to lose weight even when I eat very little and my skin is terrible. I just went off BC for the first time in several years and it did a number on me- I already feel loads better but now I am hoping to find a diet that is kind to my hormones and my waistline!

My primary exercise is running and spin class but I am getting more and more into lifting and try to incorporate about 20 minutes of free weights 3 times a week.

I posted in the general boards and got some helpful feedback as well as some slightly irrational hatred, so I'm hoping to find some more friendly responses here!

Questions:

1) Women with acne/ PCOS/ other hormonal impbalances- did paleo help?
2) What is a good way to set my macros for a paleo diet?
3) check out my diary for today (my first real day of paleo) and please critique?
4) How do you feel about whey protein?

Thanks very much!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I've been Primal/Paleo, and usually ketogenic for over 2 years. I'll be Paleo for the rest of my life, no question. My great health results are mentioned in the pinned "Success Stories".

I hope your "trial" turns into permanence, but your results will depend on you. A stricter Paleo lifestyle gives the best results. Some people who claim "Paleo doesn't work" didn't really even try Paleo (some of my family members come to mind). Speaking from MUCH experience, alcohol will not help in anyway. As an occasional indulgence you will likely be fine but as a regular thing, especially in excess, is a FAIL.

Yup there's lots of "irrational hatred" in the general forums towards whole food lifestyles; it boggles my mind. That's why I mostly stay here and preach to the choir.

Paleo helped EVERYTHING for me: prevented diabetes, resolved severe depression/anxiety/BED, GERD, lifelong joint pain, neurological issues, chronic pain/fatigue... going brain dead but it's all in Success stories. It also has helped with my child's behaviour immensely.

Macros will depend on your personal needs. PCOS often does respond to lower carbs apparently. My settings are currently 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carb. I started out higher fat and lower carb than that but am now aiming at establishing a comfortable, sustainable eating plan for life. I still have fat to lose but I'm giving up my control and trusting my body more. Some people do better on a higher carb diet than myself... trial and error.

Your food looks terrific.... until I got to Snacks. lol Is the whey artificially sweetened? Almond milk has less than the best ingredients too, but some people like it. Over time, my Paleo pickiness has increased (no, I wouldn't call it "orthorexia"!). You are doing MUCH better than I did starting out. Great going!

I use grass fed whey with no other ingredients for my child's smoothies to sneak some protein into her smoothie, but I don't consider protein powders a FOOD. And most have a bunch of other crappy ingredients.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have found people on main message boards on any sit to be a bit hateful and mistrust anything different. I don't actually care though, because I find this is best for me! I have been at this for a few years now and it really is great if you can maintain it as a lifestyle. That being said, I fall off track a lot but always try and try again to do better! I do drink alcohol as well, but limit it to gluten free items like wine, cider, rum, tequila because I have to, but would advise you to do so as well to get the full benefits.

1) I have had some success with my hormonal balance, although it is still a bit crazy at times, I am regular and have a fraction of the pain when I stick to Paleo. Acne can be caused by a lot of things but gluten and dairy are notorious for skin problems, so I would avoid those. I had a form of rosacea and sebbhorrehic dermatitis before going Paleo and it flares if I do too much dairy.
    2) I would look at the "Carbohydrate Curve" over on Mark's Daily Apple. If you run a lot you might be able to have more carbs than someone like me who is struggling to get back my fitness routine. Then I would take that level and start there. Higher fat levels will equal more fullness.
    3) I think your food looked good, I would beware of dairy and gluten though with your conditions.
    4) For me, Whey protein triggers cravings and I don't use it. I use egg white protein, unflavored, and flavor it myself as I like. For someone with your conditions I would avoid dairy as I said.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Proof that eating gluten makes you an a-hole.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers to your questions, I just wanted to welcome you. This is a great group who is willing to help you with anything. I'm glad that you are interested in improving your health and not just weight loss. The weight loss happens, but there are so many benefits to eating real food. I am trying to stay at the low end for carbs because I feel better that way and it's a good way to manage sugar levels. My macros are 10c/20p/70f. I rarely hit them, they are a goal.

Oh, and I still drink alcohol too - definitely not as much as I used to though. I also choose wine, cider or tequila. It's the mixes that will kill you. Margarita mix - yuck!! Way too much crap in there. And I fall off the paleo wagon at times, but don't beat myself up about it.

Good luck to you!
  • nynvilva
    Options
    Welcome! I was pretty diligent with Paleo for about 7/8 months last year until I hit the holidays when life just got in the way (excuses, excuses, I know :P) but I am now trying to come back full force!

When I say “pretty diligent” I mean that my regular “cheats” were limited to red wine on the weekends (I too will not give up alcohol :P) and popcorn (GMO free, stove popped with EVOO) on Sunday nights. I am POSITIVE I cheated more than just those, though. I will tell you that I did feel a difference both energy and weight-wise.

Most likely TMI, but I think this information will help you: I was and am still on BC, however after 2 months and ~8lbs down (which was about 6% of my bodyweight) I started to become irregular. My periods would not come even when I was on my off week, and there were times where my period lasted two weeks. Eventually everything straightened each other out, but for someone with PCOS (I have PCOS symptoms – though I have not yet been tested), I am sure this can be unnerving (it was for me!).

Long story short, don’t let the beginning changes deter you. Progress will come and you will feel great. My skin never glowed more :) Good luck!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback everyone! Definitely more welcoming than the regular boards (my post has turned into a very aggressive argument between two other MFPers!)

Glad to hear other folks keep alcohol in their social life, and I'm glad to hear that wine is paleo-friendlierish!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I've got to say, I still have an occasional glass of wine, but I have come to expect to see no change, or a gain for the week, if I do.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone! So far what I cannot get over is how FULL I am! I have never been this full on this many calories (usually eating around 1500) in my LIFE! Its kind of great!!

I cured some carb cravings today by making "tortillas" with almond flour, egg whites, and coconut oil. The consistency is great! Taste is fairly bland but it does the trick as a wrap or even as a crepe for fruit.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, just wanted to say I use a leaf of cabbage as a tortilla shell, I had 2 tacos for lunch today, very filling and yums.