Can I get stronger while losing weight?

Options
Hi so this question is a two parter,straight to the first one can i get stronger while losing weight?
I have been lifting on and off for about 6 years,these last 5 months I've stuck to it routinely and have only put like 5kg on my bench squats about 5kg and deadlift around 5kg.

Now this may not sound too bad but my lifts are weak for my size. I have a fair amount of noticeable muscle as well as fat (people can tell I workout) so I dont understand why my lifts are poor as ive been training with weights for a long time I have friends training much less with less muscle and they lift more then me which is baffling.

My lifts are roughly

bench 100 kg for sets of 8
Max rep - 120kg

squats 110kg sets of 5
have never done a max rep

deadlifts 120 x 4
Max rep 140kg

I am 234lbs have a fair bit of fat but also a fair bit of muscle. Has anyone experienced not gaining strength for a long while or it being very minimal? And what possibilities are there that my lifts are so weak?

Thanks.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't really compare yourself to others in terms of how much they can lift. You have to consider genetics, training programs, age and how long they have been lifting.

Yes you can get stronger while eating at a calorie deficit. I'd say it's more difficult because the primary gains are going to be Central Nervous System adaptation more than any muscle gain related strength increases. I've lost 20lbs over the last 3-4 years and have increased my lifts in all areas in those years. I'm about to where I was strength-wise before I took about a 10 year layoff from lifting.

What eating at a deficit does is this. You have to make sure you aren't eating at too much of a deficit in order to minimize muscle loss during your weight loss. Also since you're eating less, it's harder to get enough protein in the calories you are allowed to eat. So you have to be that much more careful on how to allocate those calories.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you following an actual program? Consistency and smart progression along with a good diet plan are crucial for making progress in the gym.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    At your strength levels and bodyfat levels, you might have a bit of room to gain strength in a deficit, especially with the deadlift. You might find your bench decreases while in a deficit, but do what you can to keep as much strength as possible. You are roughly as strong on the bench press as the squat, which is certainly not typical. Consider getting on a good program.