Nutrition Challenge Lessons 2014

1. Write the most significant thing that you have learned about food and how this has changed the way that you eat or perceive food

I have learned a lot during both nutrition challenges I completed this year. The first time around I was shocked to see how much sugar was in food - it was overwhelming and frustrating looking for basic items - such as marinades and quick food solutions that did not contain added sugars. We won't even mention the M&M sniffing incident. The concept of "zoning" meals was overwhelming and exhausting as I was on the road a lot for work. Concepts like "that is not a primary source of protein", "that's not enough protein" "7 almonds is a block of fat" etc were mind boggling.
The second time around I was much better prepared for the challenge. Setting a goal and really pushing my OCD organization was key to my success. Now I try to eat with a specific purpose as opposed to just keeping my stomach quiet and staying awake (I was a latte addict - "I'll just have coffee and eat later") Everything I eat has a purpose - my menu is planned with my work schedule in mind and flexibility as well.

2. Next, write the most important thing that you have learned about yourself and your relationship with food.

I get HANGRY! I like to eat and get sad when food is over - so I prefer to eat a lot of little things ("finger foods") because I can take my time eating it - it's also ideal for when I am working on the road and just pop open different tupper-wares and munch. When I am tired and unprepared I get lazy and want a quick fix - bowl of cereal for dinner, milk & cookies, or pizza. As long as I am not hungry I don't go for these "comfort" foods so keeping my stomach busy is important for me and setting a quick easy menu to follow for the week is key for me not to slip into old habits.

3. What barriers have you had to healthy eating? Have you conquered them? What behaviors have you changed?

Since I changed my eating habits in January I have done pretty good in my opinion. The nutrition challenges have helped me continue and enhance my eating habits. The hardest thing for me is to fight being lazy when I am tired. After a long day the last thing I want to do is cook - I want a fast simple fix. Not to mention my occasional hankering for rainbow cookies, or those Italian bakery sandwich cookies with the chocolate and sprinkles on one end (HEAVEN!) I have managed to learn to keep quick healthy options in the fridge that don't take effort to prepare (basically heat and serve); also have healthier options for quick dining out (sometimes I run out of groceries before pay day or seriously I just can't cook). I have stopped eating out on a regular basis and only eat out on special occasions or if I have no choice. I also don't keep any of that stuff in my house and I bypass the aisles in stores where they are.

4. How difficult will they be to change? What behaviors are you aware of that you haven't changed yet?

I think the battle will always continue when it comes to baked goodies - but I don't suffer with it - I simply treat myself once in a while, enjoy it, savor it, and that's it. I don't give myself a guilt trip or think I have to run a half marathon of burpees after I eat it to burn the excess off or punish myself. Currently I am not sure if there are behaviors I haven't changed - right now for me it is more about enhancing my current behaviors - becoming more aware and efficient with Zoning meals; and reaching and exceeding the goals I set for myself. I am sure along the way I find inefficiencies in my food behaviors that will be addressed - but that is what it's all about.

Replies

• Teew4
    Teew4 Posts: 12
    It’s all about choice. The most significant thing I learned about food is how it affects a person, both mentally and physically. We choose to purchase and consume the food we have. It’s with that choice that we allow the end result to be what it will. I have a great deal of respect for food. Food can be more powerful than we realize. It can help us to succeed, like giving us the energy to run that extra 400m or prevent us from having the energy to do 50 more kettlebell swings.

My relationship with food is continuously growing stronger. It’s my choice to have a healthy, balanced meal to accomplish what I want or grab something quick just for the sake of putting food in my body. I look at it this way, I can put any gasoline in my car that I want. However, for my car to run properly, it needs a certain type of gasoline. Food, the right type, is my gasoline!

Some barriers to healthy eating? Other than a choice, none. Somewhere, there is a 24 hr store where I can get what is needed. It’s whether or not I choose to get what I need. I’ve heard others say “life gets in the way”, does life really get in the way? No, your life is what you choose it to be. It’s your thought which gets in the way of what your life will be. Food is everywhere, it’s a part of life. Behaviors that I’ve changed are letting a mistake be just that, a mistake. I strive to prepare ahead of time. If for some reason preparation doesn’t happen, I make the best choice possible.

I continue to choose to do each nutrition challenge because it gives me the opportunity to learn something new, listen to something someone has to offer and apply it to the way I choose to be. I feel very comfortable with zoning to the closest possible numbers. I make healthy eating a priority in my life and I enjoy surrounding myself with others that understand the importance of it. Unfortunately, a behavior I am very well aware of that I haven’t changed completely yet is drinking water. I know the importance of it and do what I “think” is my best, but I know it isn’t. Again, It’s my choice. One which I will soon choose to change! I will continue to read nutrition labels as I have for years