Weight training for older runners

Options
I have lifted weights weekly for most of my marathon training. I am starting to substitute runs twice a week with weight training. So far. I feel great. I don't think I am losing anything but I will find on on race day. Part of the issue is that I am now 50 and my body doesn't respond to the daily repetition of running as well as it used to. If I put a day of something else between challenging runs, it seems that I recover and feel better. Any other older runners out their that have some advice???? Do you limit runs to 4 days per week?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    4 days a week for marathon training? No way.

I run 6 days a week normally and up to 10 times a week during marathon training.

Those easy runs, when actually done EASY help with recovery.

I'm 46.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    Options

I run 6 days a week normally and up to 10 times a week during marathon training.

I'm 46.
    I have run mostly 6 days per week during this training cycle. I had to ease back when I faced a mild hamstring strain. It is quickly feeling better so I will maintain 6 days per week using great caution to not get injured. I did substitute an extra weight training day this week for running just to give that hamstring a break. So many books on running call for less miles and less days when you get to our age. It is confusing.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I'm 46.
    I have run mostly 6 days per week during this training cycle. I had to ease back when I faced a mild hamstring strain. It is quickly feeling better so I will maintain 6 days per week using great caution to not get injured. I did substitute an extra weight training day this week for running just to give that hamstring a break. So many books on running call for less miles and less days when you get to our age. It is confusing.

I think those books are assuming the old dude (or dudette) has been running all their life and is just trying to preserve what they have. For me, I still think I can improve, so my training reflects that attitude.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and I run 6 days a week. But I have just discovered the magic of recovery runs. I was the typical runner that struggled to understand the concept of running SLOWLY, but now that I do 2 recovery effort runs (avg HR in the 65-70% max range) I feel so much more refreshed. I also do two 30 minute strength training sessions per week, mostly core and upper body, as well as yoga as much as possible. I have noticed that the less yoga I do, the more sore and fatigued I am.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I was running 4x a week and doing StrongLifts 5x5 3x a week and my running was suffering -- I recently started doing stationary bike rides in between my running and my running has gotten better once again -- I'm 56 by the way -- so I believe that you need to find what helps your muscles work and recover. I also did Bikram Yoga for about 10 months and that combined well with running as well.
  • khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to exclusively run during my marathon training and found like you @NorthCountryDreamer that it was easy to overtrain. Now I have started to incorporate cycling and off road running into the mix. Feel better and able to recover for the longer runs. So I probably run 4-5 days a week and cycle 3. Just me. I'm 59 so my goal for marathons is to finish with the best time on the day that I run. I don't let the clock dictate my training.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    Options
    My wife has run 4 days a week and has continued to drop her marathon time. She is ran a 3:34 last fall.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    At age 61, I am generally running 6 days per week. The runs are variable (using Fitzgerald 80/20 approach currently). Except for the long weekend runs (which are based upon distance), I run on time and pace/intensity/heart rate. The base building phase was generally one really intense running day per week. Coming through the peak phase, it is still pretty close to an 80/20 ratio but it tends to have two days that are moderate one day and intense another. Cross-training/core strengthening is an option in the plan, but I'd rather not give up the running time most days.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I followed Fitzgerald's 80/20 plan for my last marathon and ran 6-7 days most weeks, but I occasionally substituted cycling for the easy runs. If I was doing strength training that included any leg or core work, I always tried to do it on the same day as a harder (tempo, interval) run so that it did not effect my recovery days. I think keeping those as easy as possible is key to the plan.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I will be 53 next week and run, on average, 6 days a week. To be honest, when I got into the higher mileage, my husband asked me to choose between lifting or running. There just wasn't enough hours in the day to do both. I chose running and haven't looked back.