Can you help me determine activity level, please?

Options
nccarolb
nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
I am female, 54, 5'8", 203 lbs (up from 192).

My normal routine is that I walk a minimum of 11,000 steps per day except Sunday, which is a minimum of 5500. I may hit right at 11,000 or I may hit 20,000 depending on the day--I get in at least 30 minutes "very active" and typically more than 60-90 minutes according to my Fitbit Flex. Right now, I am doing Jillian Michaels 30-day-shred three times per week and Yoga/Pilates/core videos three times per week. All of the workouts last approximately 20 minutes each. I work at a desk job but am on my feet as often as I can manage it, either walking or standing. Am I lightly active or moderately active?

I've done the spreadsheet that heybales so kindly provided and the calorie range is pretty much in line with what I've been doing but I really don't know how to gauge my activity level.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Activity level for MFP or the rough 5 level TDEE chart?
    They use different levels.

For MFP, look in spreadsheet under Your Results, there's your TDEE estimate, and it says a BMR multiplier of whatever.

What is that number?

Also - that's your TDEE estimate, in case that is the purpose of trying to decide.

Also, skip all the estimates based on you hoping you covered your basis, and just use the Fitbit - what does it say your daily burn is?
    Steps really isn't an indication of calorie burn by itself, so not really meaningful.

You are likely Moderately Active, but again - why estimate from 5 rough levels when you have a Fitbit able to give you infinite levels based on you specifically, which you can pull an average from?

Only thing you need to do is log non-step based exercise in Fitbit for a week, like yoga or pilates or core.

Why do you need a level?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    So, from your response, I understand that I should simply use my Fitbit's calorie figures (once I've made the adjustments suggested on the spreadsheet) and not worry about any other formulated TDEE. Is that right? If it is indeed, then I am a happy camper because that makes life much easier.

I'm a belt and suspender kind of person, so I wanted someone else to judge my activity level so that I could compare all sorts of numbers. To me, I don't do very much activity, so I wondered if I was underestimating myself.

Thanks for your help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, do remember to correct Fitbit with logging exercise it is underestimating.
    For instance, would it really be reporting a best estimate of TDEE if you took the Fitbit off while swimming? Even if you could wear it actually - wrong use. Only step-based exercise.
    Rowing, lifting, elliptical, spin bike, incline walking/running, ect - all should be manually logged for Fitbit to give best estimate of TDEE.

But after that, yes, don't worry about guessing levels and hoping you got it right, or that you landed squarely in the middle of a level.
    The study that made that chart was basing it on a formula that gave infinite TDEE's, but for ease of use, they just picked out a few workout levels to get ball-park figure. Of course ball-park figure, ball-park results.

Hence the spreadsheet on Progress tab having a TDEE calc based on results. Just need a months worth of accurate eating data, and no major changes to workout just prior to either weigh-in, and valid weigh-in days.