Where do you run?

Options
ShortMrsN
ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
Just being nosy....where do you run?

Road, treadmill, off-road?

I was "pounding the pavement" as it was easier when I first started running, plus it gave me definite start/stop points.

I have started running on a coastal route, it is a mix of dirt, grass, gravel and shells/sand. I have to pay attention so as to avoid tripping over buried rocks!! It is physically more demanding but so much more enjoyable (and no car fumes!!!) :bigsmile:

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Most of week day runs are road runs because I have to get up so early to run. On the weekends, it's all trails... I live only ten minutes away from the North County Trail and the Glacier Ridge Trail in Moraine State Park. I don't overly mind the road runs, but the trails are where I like to be. On rare occasion I use the treadmills at the Y... lightning, ice... I use the treadmill runs to get in some barefoot running to strengthen my feet and re-align my stride and foot-strike...
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I usually run the country roads around my home, most are paved, but a few are gravel. There's really not much traffic.

I occasionally run nearby trails, but feel safer when I can see who or what is around me.
    I've seen many deer, a couple bears, 1 moose & lots of raccoons, skunks, & opossums.

I'd love to run on the beach. That must be lovely.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I usually run the country roads around my home, most are paved, but a few are gravel. There's really not much traffic.

I occasionally run nearby trails, but feel safer when I can see who or what is around me.
    I've seen many deer, a couple bears, 1 moose & lots of raccoons, skunks, & opossums.

I'd love to run on the beach. That must be lovely.
    Wow, I can't imagine coming across big wildlife like that! We don't have anything like that in New Zealand....at most I might run into a cow (more likely sheep!) although I did have a mouse run out in front of me the other day :laugh:
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    During the week I run outside around my neighborhood. There are paved sidewalks everywhere but I just run on the road; all traffic is very slow and people are very mindful of runners and dog walkers. I guess I'm lucky to live in such a place :smile: On weekends I drive to my work (I work at a 2-year college) and run laps around the campus. I used to live in a resort town on east coast, so I ran along the beach, it's absolutely awesome. :bigsmile: I rarely run on a treadmill, just not my cup of tea; I get bored and cranky after mile 2 and just want to stop. One of dreams is one day to run on the Great Wall of China :happy:
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't imagine coming across big wildlife like that! We don't have anything like that in New Zealand....at most I might run into a cow (more likely sheep!) although I did have a mouse run out in front of me the other day :laugh:

I didn't even consider the cows, sheep, goats, llamas & horses. They're usually pastured or penned so I hardly notice them. My 13.4 loop runs past a hog farm unfortunately you can't miss them. :sick:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I run mostly in my neighborhood. Since it's usually about 5:30 am it's quiet (and dark LOL) with not too many cars around and they are the same cars everyday so they are used to me being out there. Occasionally I will run with my daughters XC team on some local trails, but I enjoy running alone.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Footpath - I'm too lazy to run off-road, although I did enjoy it on the occasions I did. I can't be bothered with the level of concentration required - I prefer to daydream.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Footpath - I'm too lazy to run off-road, although I did enjoy it on the occasions I did. I can't be bothered with the level of concentration required - I prefer to daydream.

It's been so long I heard the word. I studied in an international school. ;-)

Outside all the time - Road and Trail both.

I don't mess around with thunderstorms and Ice. Everything else works.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I run on the foot path and roads around the city where I live, I usually run early in the morning so there's not much traffic. On the occasion when I get out a bit later I run along the harbour and waterfront where there are pedestrian paths and no intersections. Its very beautiful! (especially at sunrise).

One of my favourite things to do when I travel, or more likely in my planning before I travel is to do some research on good running areas where I am visiting and then plot out runs for while I am there. One of my favourite things about going somewhere new is having new running routes :-)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I run on a mix of road, paved trail and dirt trail along a (channeled) river near my home. It is a mile to the trail entrance, a 3 mile loop on the paved trail and a mile home. For longer runs I go off on the dirt access along the river bank or to a bike trail and 'could' run all the way to the beach - I haven't tried that yet though. We see small wildlife - rabbits, squirrels and a coyote once in a while but lots of beautiful birds and hawks.
    On the weekends we typically take the pup to the dog beach and I run with him offleash there.
    I do it occasionally when it is too hot but hate to run on the treadmill - I find it incredibly boring!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I run around my neighborhood. Sometimes we'll go to rail trails and run there or just do roads in a different town. I hate the treadmill for running (I'll walk on it though if I need the steps on an off day). I only run on the treadmill if its really bad weather or ridiculously cold.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Started on treadmill, slowly moved outdoors as I added a long run at the greenway on Saturdays. Replaced treadmill altogether as I started running in my neighborhood during the week before work. Joined a local running group a few months ago and am now doing 2 runs with the group each week. One group run is actually through neighborhoods not too far from my house. The other group run goes through research park which isn't that far from my house either, where I used to work actually.

I have been moved (my work) from Research Park now onto the local army base and actually found a jogging trail that goes pretty far. It's also nice and flat and a large part goes through woods and very little traffic. It also goes by 2 large mountains on base. If I run them (done twice so far), it's over a 1200 foot elevation gain.

Mountain running is something new I am starting to get into.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I run on pathways and pavement, a little bit of gravel path too. It's a mix of shaded areas (along a stream) and a main-ish road. Now it's getting darker I'll probably stick to well lit areas or places with traffic.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I run around my neighborhood every morning. Sometimes i hit the dreadmill but that's only if it is raing very hard or sleeting.
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Most of my runs are around my subdivision as I try to avoid high traffic. I also take some longer runs across the Cooper River Bridge and on a few local trails for variety. I love being outdoors. :smile:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Treadmill usually (particularly in the Summer).. but then again, I am inside at the gym usually when I catch a few minutes run time. As the weather cools, I usually will run on the track around the school when weather permits (particularly if I don't go in to lift those days)...
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Mostly park trails, but when it gets too dark I stick to roads with streetlights.
    I actually tried a treadmill for the first time today, and I found it extremely frustrating. No scenery to enjoy, but I also couldn't let my mind drift as I was afraid I'd misstep and tumble off the thing. Maybe that gets better when you get used to it, but I'm looking forward to running outside again.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Everywhere! To the gym, around the track, on treadmills, trails, roads, etc.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Broke both my legs two years ago, multiple surgery's, now I'm enjoying it all over again!
    Treadmill, Elliptical
    #NeverGiveUp
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Seeing as I live in the country, my runs are usually on asphalt and/or gravel surfaces.