Chat & Accountability Sat September 13 to Fri September 19

Options
Saturday.

Carb Nite. My first true one. Did a slightly longer induction. Started Labor Day Monday so this really day 13 versus the normal 10. Going to start with a true one. Not eating clean. Trip to bakery to get a 4pm-ish sugary treat turnover something like that. Hubby and I have 7 PM reservations at a restaurant with an amazing veal/beef bolognase (I can pretty well duplicate it but use spaghetti squash at home. Till it will be a nice treat to have the original with freshly made pasta). Then I have a plans for a hot fudge sundae b4 bed. Local ice creamery makes dense rich full fat ice creams. Yum.

And we'll see how I feel Tomorrow after that. So much sugar. Not the calories that concern me. I get the science. The sugar. Oh and the wheat. Fingers crossed not to bad. May be fun to alternate "clean" carb nights with some less so.

Going to try to only weigh the morning of carb nite moving forward. Oh I did weigh today and I'm at another three year low. Do this is good. ( my last starve myself to lose some weight, gain it back episode was 3 1/2 years ago) Don't want to obsess over the scale. But do want to determine what's my best interval or type of carb nite. Kiefer talk a lot about women over 50 often need smaller carb nites or less often (I don't do enough high high intensity exercise to blow through glycogen anyway). More experimentation. Which I love.

Replies

• Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Folks

Kim - Very interesting and have fun lass. Sounds like a great meal and desert.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Kim, have a great carb nite.

Howie, my boyfriend and I will join in for the google hangout. I will email you our email addresses. Oh have you watch that documentary? I'm curious to hear what you think.
    Hope to chat with with many of you!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks. Dead lifts today, should be loads o fun. ;) See ya tonight.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Defensive Pistol match yesterday, so LOTS of running around all day. My 13yo and 15yo soundly thrashed me at the match yesterday. I had a good day, just did not shoot at my normal level, so they both beat me, and good. I am up early today to head over to Missoula for a USPSA match. We shall see how I do :D

Always weigh in BEFORE a carb night :D
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Kim, have a great carb nite.

Howie, my boyfriend and I will join in for the google hangout. I will email you our email addresses. Oh have you watch that documentary? I'm curious to hear what you think.
    Hope to chat with with many of you!

I have not watched it yet, I am going to watch it after the football game this afternoon. Yes please email me your gmail address. I will post the link to hangout here too so if we missed anyone they can try to join.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Has to change my workout plan since my son couldn't make it. Did a 6.7 mi walk avg 20 min per miles (with breaks included) calorie burn was about the same, and since dead lifts are all about legs and core this was a good trade off in my view.

Have fun Mark and shoot straight lad.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Good luck Mark. And I'm glad your boys did well. Must've been a proud moment.

Howie, my boyfriend PM you last night with our email addresses.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sunday. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Carb nite was weird. Only because I realized I really don't miss pastries. Then at dinner I was worried about the amount of gluten, so switched to Risotto. Knew quickly I'd made a mistake. Luckily hubby had ordered the spaghetti so we switched halfway thru. The hot fudge Sundae was just ok. Then again I've never been a huge sweets person. Salty carbs like chips, fries etc more so. Next carb note will go that route.

Did not seem to have any big reactions other than some pulse spikes. An hour after eating the first two spikes my resting pulse had gone from low 70s to high 80s low 90s. None if the sweats, hot flashes mentioned in book. Slept great.

Felt fine in am. Was neither hungry nor not hungry. Just normal. Had my usual coffee. Went to a Hathaway yoga class followed by some weights and kettlebell work at the gym. Relaxed in their hot tub and sauna. Even laid in the sun a bit (it was cool but the hot tub had me warm). So yoga, weights and vitamin D. Great way to spend a morning.

Mark when I read pistol competition, I immediately had a mental image of pistol squats. Then I remembered oh yeah, firearms network.
  • howie6267
    Options
    Good luck Mark. And I'm glad your boys did well. Must've been a proud moment.

Howie, my boyfriend PM you last night with our email addresses.

Where did he PM me? I did not get any messages. I did go back and get the email you used from the last hangout with Carol so I will include that in the hangout invite
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Howie ... are you going to be emailing the invites for the hangout (20 minutes from now) ... or posting it on this thread? I sent you a MFP message last night with mine and Heron's email ... she has her own g+ account now.
  • howie6267
    Options
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Long day today, Up for Church them a bad lunch @ BK then off to the range for a 3 gun with my son. Got home and had dinner, Pork chops, carrots and green beans.. Now on the hangout with all you guys.:wink:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Monday folks. Great time at the Hangout last night. Keep on Jammin'!
  • howie6267
    Options
    Yes it was good taking with you all. I learned a lot. John how bout Da Bears! I stopped watching, now I wish I hadn't.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The hangout was a lot of fun last night -- sorry I missed most of it! :smile:

On Day Two of the 21 Sugar Detox. I think my two biggest issues (at the moment) is missing the sweetener in my tea and not being able to chew gum. Silly stuff, I know... but those are going to be hard habits to break!

Hope everyone is having an awesome day! :happy:
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Man what a month so far... first the AC, then my wife had a miscarriage. Been rough lately. Got to get back into the swing of things, logging food even if it's not good food....

Anyone tried cooking up stuff and freezing it in portion sized bags? Thinking of trying that with my sautéed veggies that I like to put with a chicken piece from the foreman grill. One less thing to do on my lunch break would be nice
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Kilo, I have done that using one of the vacuum sealers, but not with veggies cooked. I have only done it with things like cooked chicken (canned them too) and meat loaf. Chin up and press on. :D

Hammer, my connection died and I did not get to put my dollar in. My wife's blood surgar does the same exact thing during the night, and has for decades. We also have never been told what it could be. We have even tried eating a snack a different times, nothing helped. Also, as to the low carb fog, to me it seems to depend on the person and how addicted your body is to sugar. For me it was not as big of a deal, for my wife it was pretty bad for about 3 or 4 days. I don't think it was as bad as you describe, but she was pretty grouchy.. I don't know if slowly lowering it would negate it, or just prolong it.

Match on Sunday, the boys did not go. First time in 6 years I have not had one of them with me at a match. So, our last USPSA match of the season, and I shot my new pistol right at the edge of my ability. For the first 3 stages I only dropped one C hit, and my times were right where they should be. Overall I was very happy. All that is left is 2 matches at night (yes, in the dark with flashlights) and a Steel Challenge. I did get it on video, so I will be posting that on my channel here in a couple of days.
  • howie6267
    Options
    Kevin so sorry to hear that your wife miscarried. I'm sure there will start looking up and this is just a valley that you two will soon be out of.

I stayed at 87 carbs today. I must say upping my fat and eating more meat does help with the hunger. You can take a look at my diary today and tell me what you all think. I have decided to continue to count calories but eat less carbs and up my fat. So today should be an average day for what I plan. I most likely wont be going with the grass feed meets as that would get pretty expensive. Maybe next year I can get a freezer and start buying off local farmers to make it cheaper.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Kevin - Sorry bout the troubled times you've had lately. Thoughts and prayers for better days ahead. I don't freeze meals but IU do cook ahead for the week over the weekend and use the Pyrex bowls with covers. They can be frozen but I think you have to let them warm up a bit before you put them in hot oven. Microwave is fine though. You can bet them in all manner of sizes both round and rectangular. The 4 and 6 cup ones work best for me.

Mark Thanks for the info we did discuss the idea that I may have that adaptation due to my lifestyle, and discussing it with some of my co workers today they had the same thoughts. So checking it and taking the data to my doc on the 29th. See what he says/ Good Shooting lad.

Howie Your diary numbers look good lad. I did mine today as well and its a fairly representative sample of what I'm doing. Not ketogenic but moderate carb and protein right around 0.5 g per lb of body weight. I don't push the fat hard but I don't skimp either. It's very comfortable eating for me.

Keep after it Montanna Girl you can do it lass. The next couple days will probably be tough but when you break free from sugar go0 outside spreads your arms to the sky and Cry FREEDOM! I think it is the key to controlling what goes in your body in a comfortable way.

The DOMS rolled in from yesterdays walk around 4:15 this afternoon. Started with my lower abs and by 6:00 my quads, hams and glutes were singing the blues to. Not as bad as anticipated but was a tough drive home. Good sleep and a stretch walk in the morning should have me doing Ok by 0800.

Have a great night all and keep on Jammin'!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Folks.