Chicken Wings Confusion.

Options
I fried up some wings tonight. Drumette style. Every carb counter I look at gives it insane protein and calorie values. I had 6 oz of wings. I weighted the bones when done, and they were 2 oz, so would that be 4 oz of chicken (less the skin which should be fat) Would that be around 35 grams of protein?

Anyone found a way better way to calculate this?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Wings are surprisingly high in calories, I agree. Can't really answer your questions, sorry.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I fried up some wings tonight. Drumette style. Every carb counter I look at gives it insane protein and calorie values. I had 6 oz of wings. I weighted the bones when done, and they were 2 oz, so would that be 4 oz of chicken (less the skin which should be fat) Would that be around 35 grams of protein?

Anyone found a way better way to calculate this?

I have not, but am curious as well. Football season you know...
  • jimtoslim
    jimtoslim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How much can there be? It is chicken with skin. Think those resturant links include the sauce and coatings. (Or maybe I am stubborn! )
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are making them yourself, sans sauce, you are going to be just fine. Look up on a reputable site (calorie king.com is a lot more reliable than a lot of databases) or just walk into a grocery store and look at the wings in the frozen section that are literally just chicken.

It is important to look up "drumette" instead of chicken wing, since "wings" is pretty much slang, not an accurate descriptor.

Every brand of wing is going to be different depending on how much skin is still on the wing. Also important to remember that when you are going out that hot/buffalo wings are the best (less carbs) but still minimum at least 1 gram per wing. If it is drenched in sauce instead of just marinated than it is going to be even higher.

On average, sans sauce/marinade/breading a drumette is:

50 calories
    Fat: 3.5 grams
    Carbs: 0
    Protein: 3.8

Keep in mind this is before anything that makes it interesting, and before cooking (which depending on how it is cooked will add calories)

If you are in a restaurant, try to avoid anything with breading, teriyaki, bbq sauce or "glaze" as all these things are packed with sugar and carbs. Personally I find blue cheese dressing a better dip since it is higher in fat than ranch dressing.