Do you eat hemp?

Options
iwillrun2
iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
I was watching a program Saturday morning and they were talking about the benefits of hemp. It wasn't an infomercial - not sure if you have heard of Peter Neilson. He was answering a question about someone who wanted to be vegan but needed protein. He suggested hemp (oil, seeds, powder) and went on to go through the nutritional benefits - high in protein, fiber, increases metabolism, curbs cravings, etc.

I looked it up and thought it would be something to try. Not sure how it fits in with paleo, but its plant based and totally no additives, no sugar - nothing added so I can't see why not.

I am using it for breakfast - just mixed it with some unsweetened coconut. Might try making it into a fat bomb - got to experiment.

Tastes really good though - I bought the ground seeds which look like ground walnuts and taste nutty - similar to walnuts but not as strong a taste. I'm going for the oil next - they said use it similar to olive oil - great for salads, etc but not to cook with it.

What do you think?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've tried hemp milk before, and kind of liked it, but haven't really felt compelled to include it in my diet as of yet. Since I'm now avoiding whey, and egg white protein tastes like crap, though, I might be checking it out for when I use protein powder.

That said, it seems that both Mark Sisson and a few others have covered this topic already.

http://thepaleolist.com/2013/05/29/is-hemp-paleo/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/hemp-primal

The general consensus seems to be that hemp is Paleo/Primal, at least in a supporting role (with other nuts and seeds). The big concern is the 3:1 Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio, which makes its oils prone to rancidity. And, of course, it's also easy to fall into the trap of assuming a heavily processed hemp product is Paleo, because hemp is Paleo, but that goes for just about anything.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't use hemp, flax, chia etc. It's probably fine in small amounts, like other seeds and nuts.

It is my opinion that most of my fat intake should be from animals. The vegetable (oils) that I consume regularly are coconut, avocado, palm (ethically sourced), and lesser so, olive.

For me, my diet is where I want it to be for the most part. Most of my meat is now grass fed/free ranged or wild and I consume no garbage oils such as canola, soy, corn etc. So I'm not at all concerned with my fat ratios. Eating healthy does not have to be rocket science but it does take some effort to find the best quality foods.
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Shelled hemp seeds taste very grain-like and are best eaten raw (i.e. no cooking). They are nice and soft but still crunchy when they are raw.

I do eat them and they are quite tasty. I use it to add a slight crunchy, grain consistency. good for coating things. just don't cook them at high heat.

BUT they are pretty high in calories. I think it is 170 cal per 3 TBL or something like that. So I agree with akimajuktug: small amount like other seeds and nuts.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have tried Hemp Protein and had a lot of GI distress from it. The milk was OK, I had a small amount.

Dragonwolf, I like my plain egg white protein with Almond milk and I sweeten it with a small amount of Stevia and vanilla. I don't like the ones that come pre-flavored. What kind did you think tasted like crap?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have tried Hemp Protein and had a lot of GI distress from it. The milk was OK, I had a small amount.

Dragonwolf, I like my plain egg white protein with Almond milk and I sweeten it with a small amount of Stevia and vanilla. I don't like the ones that come pre-flavored. What kind did you think tasted like crap?

Jay Robb's vanilla egg white protein powder. I got that one, because the whey (both chocolate and vanilla) taste really good, and the brand uses high quality ingredients with minimal additives (just what's needed to flavor it and make the drink not watery, basically).

I don't use it enough to go warrant going out of my way to places like health food stores, so my selection is limited to what I can find at my local Kroger, which is basically the Jay Robb stuff, or soy/soy blends. (But unfortunately, they only sell the flavored ones of any brand.)

I did manage to make the vanilla egg white protein shake taste kind of like the cake part of a Hostess thing, though...
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I order the Jay Robb plain egg white on Amazon! I thought the flavored one was crap too! I make mine with 1 scoop plain, 12 oz almond milk unsweetened, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 packet Sweet Leaf Stevia. No more outrageous cake batter taste! :noway:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I can't try hemp for at least another 5.5 years it is a "banned" substance for military members. Not because it will cause a positive drug test, but because people could use it an an excuse for a failed drug test...or something like that.