Diet soda?

Options
I know that there are many differing opinions on drinking diet soda and using other artificial sweeteners during a low-carb (or any) diet. I usually stick with water and herbal tea, but since I am on day 2 of South Beach Phase 1 averaging about 50 carbs per day, I have been craving diet soda like nobody's business. It's weird, I can say "no" to all the snacks and sweets in the office, but today I just felt like a diet soda would take the edge off. And it is working! I'm just trying not to make a habit out of it.

So what do you guys think? Is a diet soda every once in a while going to screw up my results?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. If you drank it all day, everyday, it may, since there is a significant amount of anecdotal evidence that shows it makes SOME people crave other sweet tasting foods.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Keywords try not to make a habit out of it.
    I've noticed that since I quit Mt. Dew - I dislike the taste of it in a bottle, but will allow myself a fountain pop occasionally. Diet Mt. Dew tastes like butt, and the only other diet pop I like is diet Dr. Pepper, and it seems to make me feel icky.

It's a chemical, it's not real food. So I try to avoid it but I also know I'm human, and the more I tell myself I can't have it.... LOL you know how that works!!!

I think that's why the low carb focus has worked for me so far. I'm not having to restrict too much. Just change what I'm eating.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Keywords try not to make a habit out of it.
    I've noticed that since I quit Mt. Dew - I dislike the taste of it in a bottle, but will allow myself a fountain pop occasionally.

I'm the same way-- I had to go get mine from the fountain! If I'm going to have it, I might as well enjoy it! :)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you normally don't drink it, and you really want one, I say why not! Personally, diet soda does not affect my results, but it could be different for you. I figure if you're losing weight and eating better, I don't see the harm in having diet soda every now and then.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use diet soda when I really want alcohol (which stalls me BIG TIME & makes me gain) or something way naughty. i used to have a huge diet soda addiction so it feels like a *real treat* and i don't gain weight from it when I drink sparingly. And i usually do it away from home (last time was at a concert) as opposed to having to look at it all the time!! good luck!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    The sweeteners in diet sodas can sometimes stall some people or cause cravings for other foods in others.
    It personally doesn't bother my progress. I say if it doesn't cause you any problems, then have some in moderation. :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I know that there are many differing opinions on drinking diet soda and using other artificial sweeteners during a low-carb (or any) diet. I usually stick with water and herbal tea, but since I am on day 2 of South Beach Phase 1 averaging about 50 carbs per day, I have been craving diet soda like nobody's business. It's weird, I can say "no" to all the snacks and sweets in the office, but today I just felt like a diet soda would take the edge off. And it is working! I'm just trying not to make a habit out of it.

So what do you guys think? Is a diet soda every once in a while going to screw up my results?

If you can say "no" to all the snacks and whatnot (assumingly without any real issue or desire to eat them), what edge are you looking to take off? It might help to identify why you're craving it, so you can better determine whether to drink it, or do something else (to avoid making it a habit).
    I use diet soda when I really want alcohol (which stalls me BIG TIME & makes me gain) or something way naughty.

Whiskey water. Try it. You won't be disappointed by a well-made glass.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Whiskey water. Try it. You won't be disappointed by a well-made glass.

Quite right!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Diet book allows for artificial sweeteners, within reason. Doesn't it?

Personally, I don't drink them. But that's for other reasons.

I use fruity tea bags in a bottle of cold water (my current favorite is Tazo Passion tea).

Make sure you're eating enough. That helps a ton.

Best of luck!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For me, chemical sweeteners and sugar alcohols set off BAD carb cravings. I can have Stevia and be fine. I think everyone has different things that can set them off. I don't believe diet sodas and artificial foods are GOOD for anyone, but if it is an occasional thing, who doesn't have some type of indulgence?
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not sure if diet sodas effect my losses. I couldn't seem to get past the weird yucky feeling in my stomach after drinking them, so I just skip them. It's too bad because it would be helpful for variety. It seems to be a very individual thing.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options

If you can say "no" to all the snacks and whatnot (assumingly without any real issue or desire to eat them), what edge are you looking to take off? It might help to identify why you're craving it, so you can better determine whether to drink it, or do something else (to avoid making it a habit).

The "edge" was a very specific craving for diet soda. Usually, I just crave "something sweet," but I literally just wanted a Diet Pepsi. I'm just a weirdo. Lol! I didn't want any afterward, but if the craving keeps coming back then I'll probably have to do something about it.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have started drinking True Blueberry Tea by Celestial Seasons. I found it in a combo bag of fruit teas .. IT was so delicious and it staves away my "ooooo I want wine" craving.. pretty much. It's yummy.. I haven't found it by itself so I had to order it on Amazon.. I had to get 6 boxes, but I am about to order my 2nd box. Zero sweeteners Zero calories.. taste fruity
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use to drink diet Dr. Pepper all the time till I started low carb. Now I can't hardly stand the taste, but................:blushing: I crave a diet orange regularly. I'm still losing, but I do have times that I might not lose for a couple of weeks. It's a trade I'm willing to live with since I set goals every month and have always met them without stressing out. So............I like my treats:tongue: !
  • rmhyre
    Options
    If it doesn't make you crave what you shouldn't have, there isn't a problem! Especially with an attitude of only having it occasionally. Good luck!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't make you crave what you shouldn't have, there isn't a problem! Especially with an attitude of only having it occasionally. Good luck!
    RMH;

"Occasionally" is (obviously) better (healthier) than 12 cans of "diet" soda a day, and,
    I'd agree that if it DOES "...make you crave..." there IS "..a problem...", but,
    I don't think one can extend that to say "...there isn't a problem...".

A "jump" in logic not supported by the facts.

A recently released study suggests that all (or at least some) artificial sweeteners MAY, in fact, produce serious negative health effects.

The research is limited and will undoubtedly be challenged by the industry "experts" and one must read beyond the headlines to understand the need for further study, but OTOH virtually all that has existed to date has been industry sponsored and in the minds of many, suspect.

Here's a link to a synopsis of the study results:
    http://tinyurl.com/mc2sudf

Certainly (and stated by the study authors) NOT "definitive" - BUT the need for further research (and caution) is clear.

I'm lucky in that I've never been a "sweets" person - preferring to take my fill on meat and potatoes (in a previous life) rather than "save room" for dessert. My bride, however, WAS the poster girl for junk food/sweets - so for me it was easy, not so much for her.

Both of us though have witnessed on a daily basis the effects of "sugar highs" on the kiddos in our charge so on one hand if the use of artificial sweeteners can help break that "addiction" it's a plus for sure.

Might come down to a question of the "lesser of two evils" though - only time (and research) will tell.