Bone Broth

Options
Can I use some beef bones with hamhock or should I just hang on to the beef bones until I have enough to cook? I've only made chicken bone broth so far successfully, I didn't know I needed to slowcook for 24 hours so ruined my first batch of beef bones. Thanks.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Can I use some beef bones with hamhock or should I just hang on to the beef bones until I have enough to cook? I've only made chicken bone broth so far successfully, I didn't know I needed to slowcook for 24 hours so ruined my first batch of beef bones. Thanks.

There are no rules, try anything you want. Personally, I like just beef bones for beef broth. Also, I haven't made a pork bone broth that I like by itself yet but I put it in other foods and feed it to the dogs - their health is important too. I would use the ham hock for a soup. Yum.

I store bones in large freezer bags in the freezer and just keep adding until I have enough, or am in the mood, to make a bone broth. I also cook my bones with a bit of vinegar for 48 hours. I want as much nutrition as I can from them and also the bones are so soft after that I can mush them and feed them to the dogs. Win win.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks Akima, I did remember to add a splash of apple vinegar this time to the chicken bones. I think I'll keep adding bones to my hoard and make "garbage soup" with the hamhock (from nomnompaleo) since I can't decide if peas are paleo. I'm still bummed out that my herbal tea has barley in it since I recently ordered a truckload from amazon:( ~ I haven't thrown it out yet but I might, it just makes me mad to waste money. Anyway, appreciate your answer, saves me from ruining another batch of bones.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks Akima, I did remember to add a splash of apple vinegar this time to the chicken bones. I think I'll keep adding bones to my hoard and make "garbage soup" with the hamhock (from nomnompaleo) since I can't decide if peas are paleo. I'm still bummed out that my herbal tea has barley in it since I recently ordered a truckload from amazon:( ~ I haven't thrown it out yet but I might, it just makes me mad to waste money. Anyway, appreciate your answer, saves me from ruining another batch of bones.

I think whether peas are Paleo or not is up to each individual. I'm not a fan of them but it's one legume I still will eat and my child loves them. She is Inuit and doesn't tolerate other beans but peas and wax beans cause no problems and she loves them. Organic peas are on the menu for us. :)

Too bad about tea having barley. Strange. I love my Stash organic teas at the moment, especially Merry Mint.

I have things that I've ordered and have to toss. It seems wasteful but it's also not a win to eat something that doesn't promote ideal health.