Kind advice, please :)

Options
mjean1229
mjean1229 Posts: 42 Member
In the last 6 weeks I have cut my carbs from the suggested amount (something around 180) down to 50/day, and still try to get my calories in for the day. The last 3 weeks have been very slow - down only .2.

Can someone please look at my diary and let me know what I can change.

PS - I am not asking you to judge me. I know I'm fat, and I need to lose weight.

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to have much logged, so I can only go by what you've logged in your diary.
    Alcohol of any type, regardless of carb count, can and will stop ketosis/fat burning while the body takes care of removing the toxin. This can throw your body off for days while it recovers.
    I went low carb then ketogenic at the end of March this year because I finally realized what grains were doing to me (making my abdomen larger/rigid, along with weight gain on really low calories). I ditched all the wheat and grains of any kind for now simply because of how I was reacting to them.
    Dairy products (even heavy whipping cream HWC) along with even small amounts of cheese (less than the 4 oz suggested a day by Atkins or Westman) can stall people's losses. For some, these things cause insulin production and fat storage.
    Your protein looks pretty moderate to me, but even protein can be turned into glucose/sugar if it's too much for your particular system to handle.

Not that I'm saying you should do or change any of these things but they are things for you to possibly trial and take into consideration when making your own choices.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    from what i can see, you've got very carby/high glycemic foods (potatoes, tortilla chips, bread) even though they're in small portions. personally, i'd eliminate those foods and find alternates (more avocado, more cauliflower/broccoli, ditch the bread entirely).

one of the biggest mistakes i made the first time i cut carbs was that i didn't increase my fat and protein to compensate. that will help you hit your calorie goals

and i agree with patchefog... alcohol will interrupt the fat burning process because alcohol isn't just a body toxin, it's also a fuel and is broken down the same way carbs are. see if taking those out for a couple of weeks helps at all.

something else occurred to me... you said that you've been doing this for 6 weeks and have been slow to lose in just the last 3? it could also simply be a stall while your body pauses to catch up after the weight you've lost so far. it's normal and might not be diet related.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, so take what I say with that in mind.

In looking at your logging I had to ask where the FOOD was. Real food. I'd suggest starting by eating the recommended vegetables, eat some protein, eat some fat.... eat food. Enough to fuel your body. But first, add VEGETABLES. (and I'd dump the bread and tortilla chips which can really stall folks)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with everything said so far.

I went back to last week, and some of your days look really good. Then you started letting bread, chips, and the Egg McMuffin creep in. And the beer. I drink once a week and it is hard liquor mixed with diet soda or just on ice. No carbs. But alcohol can stall people.

Go back to what you were doing last week. Make sure your fat is high and protein moderate. More veggies, less breads. And take measurements. Often when the scale isn't moving, it is because your body is sorting things out. Sometimes your measurements are changing instead. A stall isn't really a true stall until you lose nothing for 4 weeks. So keep trucking. Make the suggested changes and keep measurements. I lost a few pound this weekend. My scale is going to do nothing for a week or more now. Then I'll get what I call a woosh of a couple pounds. Until then, about halfway through the week, I'll measure. And even though nothing has gone on scale-wise, I'll see inches lost. YMMV, but that's something else I'd look at.

Keep at it, and best wishes.
  • mjean1229
    Options
    I generally agree with everything said so far.

I went back to last week, and some of your days look really good. Then you started letting bread, chips, and the Egg McMuffin creep in. And the beer. I drink once a week and it is hard liquor mixed with diet soda or just on ice. No carbs. But alcohol can stall people.

Go back to what you were doing last week. Make sure your fat is high and protein moderate. More veggies, less breads. And take measurements. Often when the scale isn't moving, it is because your body is sorting things out. Sometimes your measurements are changing instead. A stall isn't really a true stall until you lose nothing for 4 weeks. So keep trucking. Make the suggested changes and keep measurements. I lost a few pound this weekend. My scale is going to do nothing for a week or more now. Then I'll get what I call a woosh of a couple pounds. Until then, about halfway through the week, I'll measure. And even though nothing has gone on scale-wise, I'll see inches lost. YMMV, but that's something else I'd look at.

Keep at it, and best wishes.

Sounds like great advice. I'll go back and look at my previous weeks to see what I have been doing, and also what I have been eating. I eat a LOT of chicken, so I am also going to try to switch that up and start eating more high fat meats, along with more veggies (ICK!). I am going to give this a strong effort, and if I am not able to keep at it, I'll go back to the basic MFP way.

Thanks everyone for your kind input!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Also, and this is just a question... you didn't log anything in during the weekend. Is that because you were in a whirlwind of things we do on the weekends.. or you just give yourself off on weekends. I know personally, I can pack on 4 lbs easy on a weekend unless I track it.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Only buy foods from "Round the Outside" in the supermarket as a general rule. This is where all the meat and vegetables are. Avoid the crap in the isles (mostly).

50g of carbs is maybe not low enough for ketosis. At least it's not for me, I need 20g or less. You need to get your headspace right, where potato, rice, cereals, sugar, bread etc is NOT part of your diet anymore. I'm not even tempted by that crap, because I've taught my mind to think "I don't eat [carbs]". I haven't had a sandwich in about 2 years. Don't miss it.

Think meat, fish, eggs, avocado, bacon (of course) broccoli, cream cheese, green beans, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce etc.

A normal day for me would be :

Breakfast -
    BPC (15g butter and 15g coconut oil in a brewed coffee)

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    45g Cream Cheese (Philadelphia block)
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    250g Packet of Slendier Pasta
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -
    Atkins Caremal Nut Chew Bar (34g)
    2 Tblspn Cream (for coffees)

This for me is plenty of food, I'm not hungry, I'm under calories, macros are pretty right, and I lose weight and feel great.
  • mjean1229
    Options
    Keep it simple. Only buy foods from "Round the Outside" in the supermarket as a general rule. This is where all the meat and vegetables are. Avoid the crap in the isles (mostly).

50g of carbs is maybe not low enough for ketosis. At least it's not for me, I need 20g or less. You need to get your headspace right, where potato, rice, cereals, sugar, bread etc is NOT part of your diet anymore. I'm not even tempted by that crap, because I've taught my mind to think "I don't eat [carbs]". I haven't had a sandwich in about 2 years. Don't miss it.

Think meat, fish, eggs, avocado, bacon (of course) broccoli, cream cheese, green beans, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce etc.

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

This for me is plenty of food, I'm not hungry, I'm under calories, macros are pretty right, and I lose weight and feel great.

Sounds like this is a great plan for you! But honestly I would die if that's all I ate. I don't want to ever completely cut out breads, rice, potatoes. I feel like I want to cut them back because I eat too much and it makes me feel icky. And also, I really am not a fan of fish, at all.
  • mjean1229
    Options
    Also, and this is just a question... you didn't log anything in during the weekend. Is that because you were in a whirlwind of things we do on the weekends.. or you just give yourself off on weekends. I know personally, I can pack on 4 lbs easy on a weekend unless I track it.

A little of both. I stay on track for the most part, but I will have one Sunday meal that is carb heavy. For the most part weekends are so busy with sports, friends, kids, and family, I dont have much time for tracking.

This weekend I am going to try hard to make that time. We have a more than usual to do all weekend, but Im going make a strong effort to see how much that effects my weigh in next week.
  • shai74
    Options

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

Sounds like this is a great plan for you! But honestly I would die if that's all I ate. I don't want to ever completely cut out breads, rice, potatoes. I feel like I want to cut them back because I eat too much and it makes me feel icky. And also, I really am not a fan of fish, at all.

I'm guessing low carb isn't for you then mate. Because low carb means pretty much cut out bread, potatoes, grain, sugar, and the carbs you DO eat come from vegetables mostly. Perhaps another way of eating would be more suitable. High carb low fat maybe?
  • baconslave
    Options

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

I'm guessing low carb isn't for you then mate. Because low carb means pretty much cut out bread, potatoes, grain, sugar, and the carbs you DO eat come from vegetables mostly. Perhaps another way of eating would be more suitable. High carb low fat maybe?

Actually, there are many different low-carb diets at varying levels of carb-restriction. So if you are at the higher end, you've got room for reasonable portions of potatoes and grains.
  • shai74
    Options

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

Actually, there are many different low-carb diets at varying levels of carb-restriction. So if you are at the higher end, you've got room for reasonable portions of potatoes and grains.

I have to disagree. If you're eating bread and grains, you're not low carb, sorry. Not saying people can't eat what they want, but call it like it is. It's like me having bacon for breakfast every morning and calling myself a vegetarian :P
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

I have to disagree. If you're eating bread and grains, you're not low carb, sorry. Not saying people can't eat what they want, but call it like it is. It's like me having bacon for breakfast every morning and calling myself a vegetarian :P
    imho, apples an oranges Low carb is not binary (yes/no). Vegetarianism is.
    That said, what I saw of the OP's diary wasn't particularly low carb. Lower than SAD, yes, but jesus, anything is.
  • baconslave
    Options

Breakfast -

Lunch -
    100g Salmon
    85g Cucumber Slices
    1 boiled egg

Dinner -
    100g Bacon
    100g Green Beans
    25g Parmesan Cheese
    15g Butter

Snack -

imho, apples an oranges Low carb is not binary (yes/no). Vegetarianism is.
    That said, what I saw of the OP's diary wasn't particularly low carb. Lower than SAD, yes, but jesus, anything is.

Yeah, anything is low-carb compared to the SAD. :laugh:

I never said potato and bread were a wise use of your carbs.Technically you could have them. My mother is on a low-carb diet. Her doc wants her at or below 120g/daily. You could fit in whole grains, or as I said, reasonable portions of potatoes. Which she does. Wouldn't leave you much room for anything else. But as an occasional treat it could work. For 50g it would be even harder. I do 20-30, though try to keep it around 20. I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10-ft pole. I'd rather eat my veggies and have a nice budget for my cheeses and cream.

Low-carb diets are technically any diet that restricts carbs in any way. It's a blanket generalization. And everybody here knows at least in passing that there are different versions. Atkins, South Beach, NK, and etc. And getting down to the nitty-gritty of them is indeed comparing apples and oranges.

I'm doing NK right now, but will switch to a higher level in maintenance. But I do agree, that grain and potatoes aren't ideal intake for low-carb diets. I plan to stay away from that myself. It's just not worth it to spend all your carbs in one place, so to speak. I'd rather be full. Those foods have no hold on me any more since I've been in NK so long. Give me ribs and broccoli drowning in butter any day instead of a stupid baked potato!

OP had some good choices going on last week, I suggested she go back to that. I would take that advice, but ultimately we give her good advice, then it is up to her how she decides to work it.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Give me ribs and broccoli drowning in butter any day instead of a stupid baked potato!
    Brussel Sprouts!! Thank you for reminding me I need to restock!

Yes getting rid of the refined carbs such as bread and rice, potatoes everything that's been said thus far.... it's hard. It's very hard, but when you finally crave those veggies....it's like a win!
    Huge win!
    Try dressing up your veggies I have a mandolin and I put thin onions or mushrooms on a lot of stuff.

I've been slacking lately, I'm using a stupid excuse of being down because of a very dear co-worker that passed, but you know what. I feel like *kitten* pardon my sentence enhancer....
    You will be surprised at how those "comfort foods" will become not so comfy when you become friends with your veggies.

I send hugs!!!:flowerforyou: