Colder weather & gaining weight

It never fails! Every winter I pack on a couple of extra pounds, even if I'm "dieting". With all of the FOOD based holidays coming up and all of the hoodies and coats I will be wearing, I am terrified of repeating this cycle again. I have just not started to shed LAST winters weight gain.

What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated during the season of layers?

Replies

• oh boy, I'm dreading winter! Last year was a terrible blow to my fitness endeavors. I'm trying to think positively and keeping fingers crossed it's not as bad as last year. I've recently stopped eating a lot of grains (bread, pasta, rice, muffins, scones, cornbread, etc) and I think that will help a bit if I can keep it up because winter is the time when I love to eat all the comfort foods. Mashed potatoes, home-baked bread, all the baked things. If I can stay away from those I'll be in better shape than last year. Other things I'm hoping will help:

--Last winter we joined a gym that is less than a mile from my house. It's not my favorite place to work out (music, ugh) but it's better than nothing and if the weather is really bad, it's easier to get to than my favorite place which is a bit further away. And I figure walking there through snow burns at least a few calories!
    --I mentally collect home workouts for when I really can't get out. I like the books by Mark Lauren (You Are Your Own Gym) but there are tons of resources online for ways to use body weight, resistance bands, and dumbells. When all else fails, jumping jacks and jumprope will at least get the heart rate up.
    --Shoveling snow is good exercise. I just have to be careful to do it correctly and not hurt my back.
    --Broth, tea, and thin soups are good for feeling full and comforted without a ton of calories. I drink gallons of hot tea.
    --When I can manage it, I walk to where I need to go. This isn't always possible because of time constraints but for instance if I just need to pick up a few things at the store six blocks away, I put on my boots and backpack instead of getting in the car. If the roads are terrible it's kind of a toss-up time wise and at least I'm moving.

As far as motivating, I like being comfortable in my clothes and I can't afford a whole new wardrobe. This is powerful incentive to stop gaining if at all possible. I don't really go to fancy events so I don't have a "must look fantastic for New Year's Eve!" kind of motivation, but sometimes my family goes to visit other family in warmer climes in late Jan/early Feb. Not wanting to look like a winter worm from the north on the southern beaches can work for motivation sometimes. Mostly though I focus on how I feel and although I love the immediate taste of cookies and pies and cakes and bread, I don't like the way I feel afterwards. Being mindful of my body is maybe the simplest and best technique of all.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    I feel your pain! This year, I'm trying to get excited to make warm, comfy, satisfying foods that are also healthy. I see a lot of squash in my future! I also made a really good chicken and white bean stew last year that I need to find the recipe for...I might start doing hot yoga again, too :)
  • I have the same problem! I love comfort food because its cold and nothing sounds better than grilled cheese and soup! I usually save my calories and have it earlier in the day to sustain me longer. I'll also do broth based soups rather than cream! Still satisfying. ALWAYS push myself to go and do some HIIT cardio too!
  • emackitchen
    emackitchen Posts: 14 Member
    I can totally relate to this! With all of the comfort food coming up, weight gain seems inevitable.

One little tip I have: sign up for a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot, if running is something you're into!
    For the past 5 years, I've gotten up crazy early on Thanksgiving morning and run a 5 mile race with my friends. It seems kind of dreadful, but it's actually so much fun! So many people race while wearing turkey hats, there is a costume contest that involves racing in your costume (so entertaining--there is a guy who runs the entire five miles in scuba gear!), and everyone there is so friendly because hey, it's Thanksgiving! The advantage of this is that it turns what would normally be a sedentary, food-focused day into something a bit more active. Plus, it's kind of nice going into the big dinner saying "Hey, guess what I did this morning!"

So I would definitely suggest looking for a local Turkey Trot near you! Even if the closest one is a few towns over or something, it's totally worth the drive!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Get outside. People have this misguided idea that if it gets cold out we should stay in, but it's silly. With modern technology in outdoor gear, there is really no reason you can't go outside and be comfortable most days. You can take walks as long as it's not bitter cold or a blizzard. It's actually quite beautiful and peaceful! Snowshoeing, ice skating, hockey, snowboarding or skiing, cross country skiing... My gym even used to run an outdoor boot camp through the winter! The other great advantage to this is it makes the winter so much more fun!

As far as eating is concerned, there is no reason you can't indulge a little at Thanksgiving or a holiday party. Just look at your week as a whole and plan for it calorie wise. Be 100 calories under each the days of the week preceding. 6 days x 100 cals = 600 extra calories on Thanksgiving day! And if you take the suggestion of the Turkey trot, you can probably bring that up to 1000!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    I find it easier to lose in winter - soup is the answer; it's yummy, warming, filling and, most of the time, healthy. Quick and easy too.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    I. Love. Soup.

Bring it winter!
  • bmaine22
    bmaine22 Posts: 9 Member
    I can totally relate to this! With all of the comfort food coming up, weight gain seems inevitable.

One little tip I have: sign up for a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot, if running is something you're into!
    For the past 5 years, I've gotten up crazy early on Thanksgiving morning and run a 5 mile race with my friends. It seems kind of dreadful, but it's actually so much fun! So many people race while wearing turkey hats, there is a costume contest that involves racing in your costume (so entertaining--there is a guy who runs the entire five miles in scuba gear!), and everyone there is so friendly because hey, it's Thanksgiving! The advantage of this is that it turns what would normally be a sedentary, food-focused day into something a bit more active. Plus, it's kind of nice going into the big dinner saying "Hey, guess what I did this morning!"

So I would definitely suggest looking for a local Turkey Trot near you! Even if the closest one is a few towns over or something, it's totally worth the drive!

That sounds like a great suggestion! One of my best friends does 5k's all the time, I'm sure I could talk her into doing it with me. Thank you!
  • I love soup as well, but it has a lot of sodium and that can make you retain water.. and that makes you feel and look sort of fat. I do not add sodium to any food because most already have a ton in them already.

I would like to make soup. That has got to have less sodium.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    I love soups as well, one of my favorites is Campbell's Steak & Potato...I think I remember it being around 300 calories for a whole can and it's very satisfying. That being said, soup or anything doesn't help much against those holiday food temptations! I started my diet in June this year and have never been in the process of losing weight in the fall before (both times after my kids were born I started with everyone else on January 1st and had lost it by mid summer), so I'm new to dieting during the holiday season. One thing I keep thinking to myself is, I do NOT want to have to start all over January 1st because I gave up! I want to be at my goal weight by then or at least close, so while everyone else is just starting I'll be there! =)
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    My strategy: always wear a tight top at home. DON'T expand your clothes size. If you put on a pound, make sure you notice it as soon as you sit down. That way, it annoys me and it will be on my mind.

Also, IIFYM! I ate whole boxes of Chirstmas cookies last year and didn't put a gram on. Just skip a meal as a trade-off, do some extra walking/gym, and make use of the orange/nectarines/mandarines season! :)
  • klcteach
    klcteach Posts: 8 Member
    A little known fact---being cold actually burns more calories! I live in Seattle and with the rainy winter I often stay inside--a lot. Last year I actually made a dent in our couch from all the TV watching. Even though I made it to the gym at least 4-6 times a week, I still gained weight because the rest of the time I was sitting on the couch! My goal this winter is to get outside, even if it's cold, even if it's rainy. For some reason knowing the cold is helping to burn the calories makes me feel more motivated to get out from under my warm blanket and comfy couch and get outside!
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm with lindustum on the importance of clothing since this is probably a better indicator of mild weight gain or loss than the scale. I bought my expensive fitted snow pants as a perfect fit at my normal weight. I have so little wiggle room if I legitimately gain even a few lbs I couldn't wear them comfortably. I refuse to buy new ones so saving myself money is my motivator. This might be a bit extreme but we certainly do tend to hide our bodies under more baggy clothing in the winter. Perhaps make it a point to try on summer clothing during the winter to keep your awareness up. This will also help you notice changes in composition if you find yourself less active in the winter. This kind of change might not actually be reflected on the scale but I know I would notice it if I threw on my bathing suit.