Whole 30

Options
Anybody attempt? I am going to give a shot, not sure how it is going to go. Hard Core.

Replies

• ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 and it is not as bad as I thought.... The black coffee was scary at first... but I got it down and tea without sugar was tough ... other than that... pretty good
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Good luck Joe and Ellen. I will be doing my usual non commit but I will definitely be cheering you on and trying to rid myself of as many non Paleo foods as possible along the way. After a few days you will start to feel amazing.:smile:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have done Whole30 (more than 30 days though) twice. The best thing it did for me is show me that there is life beyond dairy.

However, I don't agree with any one way of doing anything so I think the Hartwig's have good information but are not the whole story. I certainly agree that W30 is a great way to jump into Paleo, as long as one is very determined and will push through the initial adjustment phased of feeling like garbage. For me it doesn't last long.

For me, I do best with a strict every day Paleo diet that is low in carb, moderate in protein and high in fat. I still let a bit of dairy sneak in here and there but very limited. I was really struggling most of this year but I'm currently at about 98/2 Paleo/non Paleo and I feel pretty awesome.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    AKIMAJUKTUQ- I do think the Whole 30 has its values though for people with food sensitivities they never would have otherwise discovered. I think it does have its value! Not long term for sure! That is why it is NOT the be all end all of Paleo, and it is not meant to be.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    AKIMAJUKTUQ- I do think the Whole 30 has its values though for people with food sensitivities they never would have otherwise discovered. I think it does have its value! Not long term for sure! That is why it is NOT the be all end all of Paleo, and it is not meant to be.

Agreed. I was in total denial in regards to my problems with dairy. It's only through W30 that I made the commitment to go without dairy. I learned that food can be delicious without it too. No, one does not need cheese on everything.

The Hartwig's do miss some aspects that other Paleo resources highlight is the only short-coming. The importance of organ meats, fermented foods, etc. It certainly is useful. However, I see some people in an "eat all the things" mode (that happened to me after my second W30 so that's why I probably won't do another) and then doing occasional W30s (and often not able to complete them) and I think that using Whole30 that way is not beneficial over all -I mean the constant "all or nothing". Gaining fat rapidly then losing it, over and over, can actually be detrimental to health compared to just maintaining or losing very slowly.

I seem to do best with a consistent strict eating plan that allows just a bit of leeway here and there.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm starting day 1 tomorrow, I haven't lasted more than 9 days, but I really want to get through it this time without major slip ups.
    Anyone else up for the challenge and check in regularly?
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Did it several months back and found no issues with reintroducing Dairy and Peanuts which were my two main concerns. However, I recently dropped most dairy due to feeling bloated and almost never eat peanuts either now. The benefits far out weigh any concerns with diet restrictions, what I found was a serious tuning into my body which happened after I reintroduced, I simply noticed things happening after I ate things which disagreed with me i.e. this week my joints hurt for no apparent reason, going over foods I ate on the "not normal" list. I came up with some Cauliflower and or Cabbage I got from the farmers market that had little tiny black spots on them (I suspect mold) and although I cleaned them and removed the cabbage leafs that were affected the cauliflower would not clear off as well and I had it in my lunches everyday which would explain why I hurt the day after and today I do not hurt for the first time. This stuff works and it is worth the effort...
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Clutch, thanks for the feedback, sorry to hear of your food issue :-( and glad to hear that you got through it okay.
    Dairy is problematic for me, so are eggs, avocado, tomatoes, and chicken, I also plan on eliminating fruit altogether, and no more processed stuff, only home cooked meals. My goal is to address my diabetes with diet, and get off meds. Well that's my plan this time around, and I agree the benefits outweigh food restrictions.