Ketosis and bad smelling urine

Is there any kinds of suppliments or anything else that can be taken to stop the terrible urine smell when in ketosis? I've heard that after a few days the smell goes away but not for me. Also, I have noticed that when I go into ketosis my bladder hurts. It almost feels like I have a UTI but the doc says I don't. Anyone else out there ever have that problem?

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    You could try chlorophyll tablets or capsules. Health food stores sell those for body odor problems. They might help.

The bladder pain you describe doesn't sound normal for ketosis. Are you drinking enough water? Also, remember to take magnesium, vitamin C, sodium and potassium.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    ^^^--- This. Bladder pain does not sound normal.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Bladder pain is not normal with ketosis. Your urine may smell like nail polish remover, but if you drink more water, then the smell will lessen.

If you have not had a Urine Culture (not just a dip) done, you need to do that now before it gets worse, as you may have a bacterial or fungal urinary tract infection or even a vaginal yeast infection. VYI can cause irritation to the bladder and yeast may be present in the urine as well as the vagina.

With UTI, urine usually smells bad, like body odor of some kind, and sometimes even sweet like sugar. It may look really cloudy, or just faintly cloudy, and you may see stuff "floating" in it. As a UTI progresses, so will the painful urination, and likely blood will start to appear in the urine causing it to be pink or even dark red in color.

Do not wait to get treatment if you suspect a UTI, as it can get worse and cause a kidney infection (which you do NOT want), and/or sepsis.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I had part of the same issue last weekend. The urine smell was terrible and actually shocking. I made sure to up my water a lot and the smell was gone in under 24 hours. But the pain sounds worrisome. Are you constipated by any chance? Sometime bowel pains can hurt in the front of our bodies.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I also want to mention that if these symptoms in parentheses happen to you frequently (painful bladder, painful urination, bad smelling urine, bloody urine, night-time urination, frequency and/or urgency, pelvic pain, vulvar pain, painful sex, etc.), and it gets worse, but no bacteria (none at all, as most labs only consider over 10,000 units to be significant) present on culture, you get assessed for Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome.

I have it, and it took years and many doctors to get properly diagnosed and treatment. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

BTW, it's September and Interstitial Cystitis Awareness month.

http://www.ic-network.com/ic-support-center/icbps-awareness-month/

http://www.icawareness.org/