GPS Watches.....tell me the differences, please

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS watch. I'm very happy with it except for a couple of minor items:
- the battery only lasts about 4 hours (not a big deal for running but is problematic for longer hikes)
- I can only set walk/run intervals up to 10 minutes each
- elevation is not tracked and if I slow down too much on a large hill, my watch thinks that I've "paused"

I was thinking that I'd like to get another Garmin watch (or another brand?) that has a longer battery life, allows me to train for 10K with longer running/walking intervals (perhaps up to 60 minutes each?) and that will take elevation into stride.
I don't think I need a HRM.
Are there any other features that may be helpful in future?
Before I go into a store and get overwhelmed with the choices, do any of you have any suggestions and experiences with GPS watches?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Comprehensive Garmin reviews.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Elevation from GPS sucks. No model is going to give you really good, accurate elevation. Import your workouts into RunningAhead.com and select the option to replace the elevation data with Google Maps elevation data.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Here's my log from a hike a couple weeks ago. I have the Garmin Forerunner 220. This hike was over 5 hours. I turned off the bluetooth on the watch before I left and I was still at almost 50% on battery life after finishing. I think it said 48%. It's supposed to have a 10 hour battery life while tracking but I haven't tested that out yet.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/580635811

What I found hiking with this watch for 8 days in Colorado is that it does a mostly accurate job of showing your altitude. I was checking the attitude on some official geological markers with what the watch was saying. It was typically within 10 - 15 feet accurate on the elevation. The official altitude for this peak was 12,713 Feet and this is showing 12,741 so that's not perfect. I did check it against another marker at 12,310 and it was reading 12,304 on the Garmin so that's pretty close. Another thing I noticed was that while you're stationary the altitude can move around 15 - 30 feet but it's steady and much more accurate when you're moving so that might explain the difference at that summit. We sat up there for a while.

One other feature you might like about this watch is that it typically takes less than 10 seconds to get a GPS lock. There's no need to stand around and wait for it to lock on. I have had an issue with the HRM feature. They're sending me another chest strap since that's likely the problem but they're replacing it for free so I'm not that unhappy about it at all.

Also the bluetooth lets you upload your workout and view it on your phone or Garmin Connect within a minute after saving the activity. There's no need to connect it to a computer except to charge it.

$250 or $300 with the HRM.

An in depth review.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-depth-review.html
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 110. It seems to be reasonably accurate on elevation but I haven't done too much running up hills with it. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts but last time I ran for 2 hours it still had more than 50% charge left. Probably not much help to you but it does everything I need it to.