Hamstrings

Options
ericagreb
ericagreb Posts: 14 Member
How can I isolate my hamstrings when I work out? I dont straight leg dead lifts, curls and squats but any more ideas? Thank you.

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I personally do weighted calf raises. I use 15 - 30 lb hand weights (depends on how I'm feeling on leg day), I take the weights in each hand and I do 3 sets of 12. To mix things up I would rise fast and lower very slow at times and vice versa. Other times I would just use my bodyweight and/or use the end of a stair step to do my raises.

Between that several times per week and power walking/lightly jogging 25 - 30 miles a week, I've developed nice, strong and lean calves with a nice "line" in my legs and calves without flexing.

Good luck!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hamstring Curls on a machine is really the one exercise that "isolates" them directly. They are Synergists (secondary muscles) on lifts such as Back Squats and Lunges.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    stiff leg dead lifts (also known as romanian deadlifts) activate the hamstrings
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Glu ham raise - as suggested by the name it hits the glutes as well
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    hamstring-exercises-at-home-5.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoUaq6lLQuRubdt-LHKazVWDydcW-ZZD0qpZHpE8OVBls2TrZ-GQ (this one is AWESOME
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpsGortbDsq1blgAClul3DP06QgE1MOV6Tq6oq9PfaOf7N4JJsTA

These are just some of my favorites. Hope this helps
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options

^this one for sure! I'm trying to build my hamstrings too, and the hamstring curl on the ball usually leaves them sore
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lunges, romanian deadlifts and also single leg presses, with your foot positioned partially off the edge or close really hit em for me!
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    this is awesome.
  • CherylCalmConfidentCapable
    Options

^this one for sure! I'm trying to build my hamstrings too, and the hamstring curl on the ball usually leaves them sore

This is a serious toughie, I do three sets of 12 in a superset with clams and roll ins and they diffinatley hit the spot.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    All of the exercises mentioned and Good Mornings.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

This is a serious toughie, I do three sets of 12 in a superset with clams and roll ins and they diffinatley hit the spot.

YES! I did all three of these today within my lower body workout....and yes, those with the ball are great for hammies. I swear my legs are going to just drop off today! I use those in sequence with hamstring curls (sometimes the ones where you lie down on the bench, sometimes the ones you sit and press legs down).