fun question - just out of curiosity

Options
Did you eat when you were in labor?
Today we were at IHOP and I swear the woman at the table next to us was in labor. She was obviously in pain and doing her breathing exercises but eating steak and eggs and chugging ice water.
With my daughter, I tried to drink a sip or two of water and threw it right up. This was in very early labor. I never had the urge to eat or drink with her while I was in labor.
With my son, I was surprised that in early labor I did feel like eating. I had some eggs with cheese and I was fine. I can't remember if I drank anything or not. After he was born I was SOOO hungry though!
Wondering about that lady at IHOP and if she's at the hospital yet!

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well the hospital I had my boys at doesn't allow you to eat anything during labor. Maybe she was getting her energy supply before going to the hospital? I had a donut before I checked into the hospital with my first and was in labor for 27 hours. They didn't let me eat a thing during that time and I would have killed for an IHOP breakfast!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I ate in early labour with all of mine. I ate a chocolate bar with my first for some reason, but later threw it up! When I was induced with my 2nd I had a cappuccino and flapjack from the hospital café and again threw it up after a bit too much gas and air. I had some curry in early labour with my third and puked up again after gas and air!

At the point where labour affected my breathing I definitely didn't feel like eating, but everyone is different.

I did have a cup of tea while in the birthing pool with no.3!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had a PBJ before heading to the hospital, and I was given a meal of lasagna, cesar salad and garlic bread at supper time (before the epidural). After delivery I was given toast with PB and some OJ to refuel.

Currently waiting for #2 to arrive (1 day late so far!) and was hoping to do gas/air like Dawn, so her puking experiences is making me wonder if I should eat before heading out the door? I guess we'll see when it happens!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I had a PBJ before heading to the hospital, and I was given a meal of lasagna, cesar salad and garlic bread at supper time (before the epidural). After delivery I was given toast with PB and some OJ to refuel.

Currently waiting for #2 to arrive (1 day late so far!) and was hoping to do gas/air like Dawn, so her puking experiences is making me wonder if I should eat before heading out the door? I guess we'll see when it happens!

Lol. I puked in my first labour before gas and air, I was still at home. After I puked once with the gas and air, I was fine with it. I think I just puke at a certain point in labour.

Hope your baby is here soon!

Yep, after delivery I was starving. My first was born at 3:34pm so I'd missed lunch, and they didn't bring me anything, so my dad got me crisps and chocolate from the vending machine. I've never been so happy to eat junk! My 2nd as born at 3:16pm and hubby had bought a pastry from the hospital café then I had hospital dinner which was disgusting! My 3rd was born at 2:31am and I got tea and toast, but I had her in a midwife lead unit so it wasn't as busy.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I had a couple popsicles. But I was in the hospital overnight (started at midnight) and it's just weird to me to eat meals around that time. If I was home during the day I think I probably would.

I devoured food when baby was born at 2 pm.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    I ate a TON of pizza about an hour before I went to the hospital. I was stocking up because I knew they wouldn't let me eat when I got there.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Both times I went into labor at 11:30 on a Wednesday night, so eating wasn't really on my mind. Sorry for TMI, but I had diarrhea while I was timing contractions with my first, and I vaguely remember having some loose stools while I was timing contractions with my second. So yeah, I didn't feel much like eating!

The hospital didn't let me eat or drink while in labor, but they did give me ice chips. I was in major, major pain the first time (back labor), and they couldn't give me an epidural for a while, so I was literally in agony for hours. Definitely not eating! The second time I got the epidural pretty quickly after going in, plus the whole thing was so fast, there wasn't much time. I was munching on the mini ice they had (it was like ice from Sonic) because I like chewing that ice even when I'm not in labor :wink:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I had a couple popsicles. But I was in the hospital overnight (started at midnight) and it's just weird to me to eat meals around that time. If I was home during the day I think I probably would.

I devoured food when baby was born at 2 pm.

Oh, yeah, baby #1 was born around 10:30AM, and I could NOT wait for lunch, and baby #2 was born around 4AM, and breakfast couldn't come soon enough! I remember being psyched about drinking coffee because for whatever reason during my second pregnancy coffee had completely lost its appeal (the whole time, too, not just the first trimester). Suddenly coffee was awesome again, and I was happy to have it because I had been up all night!
  • RBXChas
    Options

Lol. I puked in my first labour before gas and air, I was still at home. After I puked once with the gas and air, I was fine with it. I think I just puke at a certain point in labour.

Hope your baby is here soon!

Yep, after delivery I was starving. My first was born at 3:34pm so I'd missed lunch, and they didn't bring me anything, so my dad got me crisps and chocolate from the vending machine. I've never been so happy to eat junk! My 2nd as born at 3:16pm and hubby had bought a pastry from the hospital café then I had hospital dinner which was disgusting! My 3rd was born at 2:31am and I got tea and toast, but I had her in a midwife lead unit so it wasn't as busy.

Yeah, both times my sister brought me snacks in the hospital (not mini snacks, but entire boxes of crackers and such) because you never know when the hospital is going to feed you. Dinner can come at 4:30 or 7:00. When you're BFing, you need to eat!

Also, during my first labor, my husband had to run home (10 minutes from the hospital) to go let the dogs out and feed them for the morning. (I told him go ahead because there was no way he was going to miss anything based on how slowly I was progressing.) On his way back to the hospital, he stopped at Burger King for breakfast. At least he had the presence of mind not to bring any evidence back with him.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For my first I had a scheduled induction and didn't get to eat anything all day except for broth and jello and that was miserable. With baby # 2 I stayed home as long as I could (contractions were 1 min apart when I got to the hospital :>) and I ate. With baby #3 I plan to eat if I can stomach it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had a muesli bar and some potato chips when in labour but was seriously discouraged from eating more for fear of me puking. Once baby arrived I sent hubby out for double salmon double avocado sushi and practically inhaled it when he got back.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    With my first, I was induced, so my husband and I enjoyed a nice big meal before heading to the hospital. With my second, I left for the hospital around 5A, and I did not think to eat before I left. Once I was checked in, they told me I could not eat anything except some ice chips. By the time my baby was born at 9:51P, I was absolutely starving, but since I had an emergency c-section and was put fully under, I wasn't allowed to have anything except a little ginger ale and some crackers. Fortunately, the nurse said if I handled that well, she would order me a regular breakfast. Needless to say, I inhaled everything the next morning!
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    My first labor started early afternoon and we had my husband's military ball. I ate the supper and then we went to the after party at the bowling alley. I had a bag of Cheetos at midnight before we headed home. Ended up at the hospital at 3 am and threw that up. I have not been able to look at Cheetos the same. Baby #1 delivered a little after noon hour, so I never felt up to breakfast but was starved for the lunch meal. He was the first grandbaby on both sides of the family, so I remember everyone in the room and me shoveling food in as fast as I could.

Baby #2's labor started around 3ish pm and he delivered at 9pm. We went to the hospital around 5:30ish. I don't remember if I ate or not, but I am thinking I did not. As I remember sending my husband to run to McDonald's for food while in labor as he was hungry and the hospital kitchen was closed. I know he brought me something back to eat after I delivered.

Baby #3'a labor started at 9pm and she delivered at 3am. Not a meal time so I was not hungry but was starved after I delivered. When we got back to the room, I had the nurse bring me toast with peanubutter and milk. I could not wait for the kitchen to open for a real breakfast meal.

The only baby I was sick with was my first, and I remember having a glass of water beside me for all three labors but don't necessarily remember drinking anything. I was too focused on what was going on and trying to keep breathing under control.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Filiberto's Super Nachos at 6:00am... then nothing after that. No appetite! Noticeable early labor started about 4:30 am. Delivered around 8:00pm.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I ate in early labor, breakfast and lunch, and then she came before dinner time, 5:23 p.m. I didn't get to the hospital until about 3:30, but I never puked from it.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    So it turns out I didn't have to wait long to find out what I'd eat during labour with baby #2. She was born the day after I wrote my reply about what I ate the last time I was in labour!

This time - I had a PBJ (again) around 5am while timing contractions. Ate a full breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, coffee) a few hours later. Just before heading to the birthing centre (noon-ish at this point) I had a bit of yogourt, and then finished DD's ginger molasses cookie from Starbucks during the car ride. Baby arrived at 3:15, and I was brought my choice of a meal - curry salmon with pad thai rice and snap peas, and yogourt and apple juice on the side. Nice perk about delivering at the birthing centre instead of the hospital was that I had a huge menu to chose from, and the meal was brought when I was ready, not when it was convenient for the kitchen (the fact that it was supper time was a fluke).

Oh, and I had gas and air while being stiched, but didn't get sick. Just loopy! :laugh:
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    So it turns out I didn't have to wait long to find out what I'd eat during labour with baby #2. She was born the day after I wrote my reply about what I ate the last time I was in labour!

This time - I had a PBJ (again) around 5am while timing contractions. Ate a full breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, coffee) a few hours later. Just before heading to the birthing centre (noon-ish at this point) I had a bit of yogourt, and then finished DD's ginger molasses cookie from Starbucks during the car ride. Baby arrived at 3:15, and I was brought my choice of a meal - curry salmon with pad thai rice and snap peas, and yogourt and apple juice on the side. Nice perk about delivering at the birthing centre instead of the hospital was that I had a huge menu to chose from, and the meal was brought when I was ready, not when it was convenient for the kitchen (the fact that it was supper time was a fluke).

Oh, and I had gas and air while being stiched, but didn't get sick. Just loopy! :laugh:

Lol. I love gas and air. It was quite weak with my third and didn't make me crazy, but with my second I was talking a load of crap to my husband. It's a bit like being drunk.

My 2nd was born at 3:16!

The birthing centre I had my third in had a little kitchen with sandwiches, crisps, fruit etc provided and a kettle, tea, coffee..... The lunch menu was pretty good too, loads of choice. I didn't stay in long enough for dinner.

All this talk is making me want another baby lol.
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to eat anything. I went to the hospital because of bleeding and my water broke while I was there. They admitted me and I wasn't able to eat. And it was 10 PM when I went to the hospital so I wasn't able to sleep, either, for about 48 hours.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a normal labour. I was uncomfortable and having irregular contractions for more than 24 hours. I also had a steady pain in my back, which is why I went to the hospital. When they hooked me up to the monitor I was having regular contractions but I couldn't feel them, just contant pain.
    Before we went I ate a huge meal. I didn't mean to eat so much, but I was hungry and it was really good. I immediately regretted it and regretted it later. It was so hard lying down with a full stomach.
    We packed snacks for the hospital for after since I wasn't allowed to eat once admitted. The hospital did have a little kitchenette with crackers and biscuits, juice, ice cream and popsicles. I ended up having a section so I had a couple of biscuits and jam when I was feeling up to it. They warned about eating too much too soon. By then I was able to order from the kitchen when I was ready to really eat.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My first was induced. I think I ate breakfast and lunch in the hospital and didn't have him until the next morning.

My second I woke up in labor at 4 am. Ate breakfast (cheerios with milk), missed lunch at the hospital (I wasn't dilated enough to stay until after lunch, even though I got there before but I wasn't admitted). Pushed during dinner (born at 5:36 pm) and didn't get food until like midnight when I realized I was STARVING. That leftover turkey sandwich and chips and yogurt was one of hte best meals of my life.

My third I woke up in labor at 4 am. Ate breakfast 3 toaster waffles with syrup (usually don't have syrup but I thought why the heck not I had a hard day ahead of me). Was admitted to the hospital at 11 I think? So I got lunch. I don't remember what it was but I ate the protein part of it (pork maybe?) had her at 2:38pm. Ate chicken fajitas for dinner (over like an hour or two because I wasn't starving like last time).