Power/Squat rack and Olympic Weights

Options
RachelX04
RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
Recently I purchased a power/Squat rack. Here's the link: http://www.fitnessavenue.ca/item.php?id=263

I have never lifted with anything but dumbbells. After three days of assembly, I finally had time to try it out. I am finding the olympic bar very challenging to lift with as I am not used to it. Its sometimes feels unbalanced when I lift. I recognize that I have a lot to learn, but I am excited to learn to lift properly.

I am hoping to find videos with proper form. good websites would be helpful too. Tips would also be greatly appreciated.
Squats are quite challenging as its diffiicult to get the bar in the proper position. I attempted frontal squats and low bar squats.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• RachelX04
    Options
    Those ere great resources. Thank you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I found this really helpful re bar positioning -

Helped me a lot when I transitioned from high to low bar.

It takes a while to get used to a barbell - just keep practicing - get some time in.

And whoot re powercage - I love having one at home - I basically only lift there. It is so convenient.

If you want to post some videos for form check, please feel free.
  • RachelX04
    Options
    Thanks Sara. i will check it out. Yes, I agree getting used to the bar positioning is taking time. I have a lot to learn when it comes to lifting.
    I have no idea how to post videos. is there a tutorial for that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara. i will check it out. Yes, I agree getting used to the bar positioning is taking time. I have a lot to learn when it comes to lifting.
    I have no idea how to post videos. is there a tutorial for that?

You can upload to youtube and post the link.

You may find high bar is more suited - but give low bar a go for a while. For me, it was about finding the 'sweet spot' of where to position the bar - now it feels pretty natural.
  • RachelX04
    Options
    Thanks Sara, I just watched the video and I like that grip better. I will try it tonight. It seems more natural.