Non refrigerated fat bombs?

Options
I'm new to LCHF and very pleased so far. I'm finding that occasionally I'd benefit from a fat bomb/snack on the go or at work. What do you keep on hand that doesn't need refrigeration?

Maybe this is a bad holdover habitfrom using Medifast where I'd always have a bar or something on hand, but the bars I've found all have way too many total carbs if I'm trying to work my way down to 25g a day. Currently I'm at about 50g per day but can really see that with carbs less is more!

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    the only recipe i have found so far requires a freezer. i am new, though. if i find anything, i will post. :smile:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    For fat bombs, there are macadamia nuts. Just be careful you measure them accurately.

Are you just looking to have snacks on hand, or do they have to be "fat bombs"? I keep almonds, protein powder, coconut oil, and Atkins bars on hand at work. I know a lot of people don't like the Atkins bars, but my ketosis isn't affected by them. I keep the protein powder for a snack or for a meal if I bring nothing in and can't go out and then I melt some coconut oil and blend that in to get more fat in (but that can get weirdly chunky if you aren't careful).

I also keep coconut oil on hand to mix with my morning coffee (but I don't mix in the butter like others do for bulletproof coffee).
  • annenm416
    annenm416 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So far it's been hard to get enough fat due to decades of telling myself "You can't eat that! It's fatty!"

So any sort of high fat, low carb and med-low protein snack would be good. I seem to be great at getting enough protein...so it's the fat itself that's lacking.

I'm really liking low-carb/high-fat. I feel like I'm cheating but really I'm just getting the proper balance of macro nutrients. And I'm almost never hungry or having cravings.

Thanks!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    So far it's been hard to get enough fat due to decades of telling myself "You can't eat that! It's fatty!"

So any sort of high fat, low carb and med-low protein snack would be good. I seem to be great at getting enough protein...so it's the fat itself that's lacking.

I'm really liking low-carb/high-fat. I feel like I'm cheating but really I'm just getting the proper balance of macro nutrients. And I'm almost never hungry or having cravings.

Thanks!

This is my issue as well and I take parts of fat bombs and introduce them into foods I make such as making sure to add in oil while cookingor having cream cheese on hand to incorporate it when I can to up the fat. It does take time to adjust to eating the full fat dressing instead of the fat free, adding cheese to things you eat, or eating the higher fat content ground beef.
  • annenm416
    annenm416 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great; thank you MelRC117! I was planning to get some coconut oil today, as I've got to go to the store for more Torani syrup for coffee, and for flavoring the real fat bombs I plan to try to make this weekend. Will try the oil in coffee tomorrow morning.

I'm so excited that this is working so well; I know a lot of week 1 loss is water, but I'm down 6 pounds in 8 days, and best of all, I've stayed with LCHF easily for this whole time. And it's WAY cheaper than other things I've tried. Thank you MFP!!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with fat bombs....too easy for me to go over my calorie goal with those bad boys. If you want something easy , on the go...toss your jar of nut butter in your bag, with a spoon, or maybe get those little to go cups. just make sure to allot for the calories/carbs/sugar and such.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited that this is working so well; I know a lot of week 1 loss is water, but I'm down 6 pounds in 8 days, and best of all, I've stayed with LCHF easily for this whole time. And it's WAY cheaper than other things I've tried. Thank you MFP!!!

The other day I started a post with black pitted olives as fat bombs. I would think they wouldn't need refrigeration if you put them in small containers. I wouldn't leave them in the car all day in the sun, but they are something I think you could leave out at room temp for a long while.

BTW, there are all kinds of coconut oils. Some taste strong and some don't. Somebody on this list recommended LouAna, (Wal-Mart) it is supposed to have a very light coconut taste (I'm going to try it this weekend). I have used Trader Joe's, it has a little bit stronger taste, but still pretty mild.

I hope this helps.

Dan the Man
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If I am spending the day out in the mountains

I take string cheese as it last a while in moderate temps.
    Almonds
    Salami similar to string cheese as it last ok in moderate temps for awhile

Maybe not fat bombs per say but they get the job done
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    HB eggs!
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep peanut or almond butter handy plus a spoon and some macadamias, roasted almonds, pecans etc and put one or 2 nuts on to a spoonful of the butter .. or coconut oil.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ruled.me/ a keto website has some great non-refrigerated fat-bombs. :smile:

http://www.ruled.me/maple-pecan-fat-bomb-bars/

http://www.ruled.me/pecan-butter-chia-seed-blondies/