I need to get back on track!

Options
Guys, I have not been eating so well lately. The main problem is a lot of "on the go" stuff, which is junk. I'm trying to get back on track (making up a big batch of Well Fed Chocolate Chili as I type this), but can y'all help me out and give me some ideas for stuff I can grab really fast, maybe on-the-go, that is Paleo/primal. I actually ate a street vendor pretzel for lunch yesterday. Blech. It felt like hitting rock bottom. Lol. Time to pull myself back up.

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always encourage people to check out the hot/cold deli section of their local grocery store for food on the go during a busy day. You can almost always find hard boiled eggs, Cobb, Caesar, Chef salads packed and ready, or some sliced meats. When we road trip, I've had to eat beef jerky and nuts from gas stations.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Easy things when times get desperate: can of salmon, oysters, avocado, jar of coconut manna (stored in desk, don't eat the whole jar lol), pack of ready cut up veggies/fruit, bacon puffs, nuts, seeds, jerky.... I've eaten things from street vendors (albeit not often with where I live) and I just throw out the bread. So, I eat the filling of the wrap, eat the burger and toppings toss the bun, eat the toppings only of a pizza, etc. Even better, most places will put whatever they serve on a bed of salad.

But even a little cook up on the weekend makes everything so much easier, even if it's just a dozen boiled eggs and some baked meat.
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely the jerky, dried fruits (especially apricots), and nuts! I also try to make primal bars regularly for a great snack that will hold me over until I can eat a real meal. This is the recipe I use:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/
  • Kristina115
    Kristina115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here are my 'on-the-go' items (the stuff I keep at work in the freezer or at my desk):
    - cans of wild salmon (sardines are another good option)
    - whey protein powder (I prefer unflavoured protein and blend it with almond milk and a banana and add whatever flavour I want like cocoa or berries)
    - frozen berries and organic coconut milk (in a can)
    - nuts and seeds
    - 72% chocolate or higher
    - cheese (I used to eat quite a bit of dairy but not anymore - example would be Balderson extra old cheddar packets)
    - plain greek yogurt
    - beef jerky (if you can find one that is clean)

If you find yourself getting trapped often, it's worthwhile doing some food prep on Sundays to make sure you have enough to grab at home for snacking and quick meal making. Cut up veggies, dividing fruit in smaller portions along with some nuts, making beef jerky in a food dehydrator, hard-boiling eggs AND shelling them, making a big pot of chilli (or anything in the crock pot) and freezing individual portions.

If you have to choose from fast food, I'll normally get a shawarma plate but only ask for tahini (a sesame dip) and sometimes the garlic as a treat and of course, omit the pita. Subway is easy - get a salad with double steak (not chicken... it's not real chicken, and the dressing will be a challenge too but canola oil once in a while won't kill you).

As primal/paleo is all about the 80/20 rule, you should just try to make the least-bad choice possible, as opposed to just caving altogether. For example, instead of a pretzel, go for a hot dog with mustard (no bun).

Hope this helps :)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the great ideas!!