W3D1 Completed but SOOO SLOW

Options
Hi, this is my 2nd go around at the C25K program and I quit last time at week 3 because of bad shin splints and I think I was just going too fast (still probably super slow to others). The first 2 weeks I was running at around at 12:20-12:30 pace during the running intervals and was doing great. Today I had to slow way down to almost a 13 min pace during the running interval. Walking pace is about 15-16 min pace. When I am running it almost feels like I am going in slow motion. I am lugging around 80 extra pounds that I need to lose so I know it will be easier as my weight goes down. The question that I have is should I expect to be running this slow until after I can actually run the entire 30 min for awhile?

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Run as slow as you need to be able to talk while running. I also struggle with shin splints, but have noticed since slowing down my knees and shins feel a lot better. You'll have plenty of time to pick up speed as you keep running, but if you push it too far too fast, you might be tempted to give it up before you finish c25k (like I have in the past).

In answer to your actual question, my speed has picked back up over the course of the past few weeks. My original 12 minute pace dropped gradually to a 9:42 pace on my last run ( week 7 day 2). I imagine yours will too, but it will probably be pretty gradual.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm on W6D3, and I'm still at a 14-15 min pace running. You're not that slow; I promise. It just feels that way, but you will get faster over time.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You'll find that you slow down as you progress through the program. The reason is that you need to slow down in order to increase your running time. You're not at the point yet where you can increase your time and stay at the same speed. That will happen later....most likely after you finish the program and continue running.
    Don't be concerned about speed at all at this point. Just concentrate on finishing the run times.

You're doing great. Keep running.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It is much more important to build endurance before building speed.

One of the most important components of training programs for longer runs (half and full marathons) is a weekly LSD (Long SLOW Distance run) where you run a long distance at a speed significantly slower than what you plan to race at.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    It is much more important to build endurance before building speed.

One of the most important components of training programs for longer runs (half and full marathons) is a weekly LSD (Long SLOW Distance run) where you run a long distance at a speed significantly slower than what you plan to race at.

That's what I do over the fall & winter, Rabblerabble. I try for slower, longer runs once a week to help extend my distance stamina. It helped last winter and had me running faster 5Ks by the spring. Summer always slows me down a lot and I'm pleased with my progress if I just keep running 5K at whatever slow speed that requires in the heat.
    With luck, I'll be able to run long, slow 10Ks and reach my goal of running easy 5Ks in 30-35 minutes by spring. I think I can reach those goals.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Going out shortly for my W3D3. I am super excited because i have never made it this far so if I have to run at at turtles pace that is fine with me! Wish me luck!
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm on W6D3, and I'm still at a 14-15 min pace running. You're not that slow; I promise. It just feels that way, but you will get faster over time.

That makes me feel so much better!! I'm running at that pace, and have just completed W4D2 today. Can't bear to think of the 20 min run that's coming up in a couple of weeks :) That's where I gave up last time.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I had to repeat that day 4 times, but I finally got through it.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    I finished W3 and I am so happy. The run was great and I am looking forward to moving onto W4D1 tomorrow for the first time ever!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Can't bear to think of the 20 min run that's coming up in a couple of weeks :) That's where I gave up last time.

Don't give up. You can do it. Slow down but don't give.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I finished W3 and I am so happy. The run was great and I am looking forward to moving onto W4D1 tomorrow for the first time ever!

High five!! Well done & congratulations!