autoimmune issue

i was just diagnosed with an auto-immune thyroid disorder. my dr was not helpful. just wondering if anyone else has auto-immune issues, and if you changed your diet to help?

*also posted on motivation & support. just thought perhaps keto was good for auto-immune issues??

Replies

• Email Dr Volek and Dr Eric Westman at Duke. Ask them if they know of any cases. I would talk to a Dr in this case.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Email Dr Volek and Dr Eric Westman at Duke. Ask them if they know of any cases. I would talk to a Dr in this case.

i plan to follow-up with another dr (this was just my allergist who happened to run the tests) but i thought i might be able to adjust my diet in the meantime. thanks for the info.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Email Dr Volek and Dr Eric Westman at Duke. Ask them if they know of any cases. I would talk to a Dr in this case.

i plan to follow-up with another dr (this was just my allergist who happened to run the tests) but i thought i might be able to adjust my diet in the meantime. thanks for the info.

Hi. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That can be a rough go.

I have type 2 diabetes, hashi's & chronic thyroiditis, and mastocytosis (a rare weird mast cell disease).

I'm currently using keto as one of my tools to get things in line...try to get myself stabilized. #1 being my diabetes. I'm med free now. woot. Also my mastocytosis (there are recent thoughts that its an autoimmune disorder, but the jury is still out) - I try to avoid high histamine foods, and fats and freshly cooked meats are low in histamine. My endo and i are still trying to figure out the thyroid thing...its pretty hosed. right now i take 150mcg synthroid daily, and i'm hoping we can add some T3 next month when i see her, because i'm just not right yet. She is my third one...I've fired the others, and my GP. We disagreed on who gets to give input to and who has the final say in my overall health care. I meet my new GP on Monday. I told him its a job interview :)

There are A LOT of smart people here. Especially on these keto boards, but research and information are key. Good Luck!!
  • La5Vega5Girl

Hi. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That can be a rough go.

I have type 2 diabetes, hashi's & chronic thyroiditis, and mastocytosis (a rare weird mast cell disease).

I'm currently using keto as one of my tools to get things in line...try to get myself stabilized. #1 being my diabetes. I'm med free now. woot. Also my mastocytosis (there are recent thoughts that its an autoimmune disorder, but the jury is still out) - I try to avoid high histamine foods, and fats and freshly cooked meats are low in histamine. My endo and i are still trying to figure out the thyroid thing...its pretty hosed. right now i take 150mcg synthroid daily, and i'm hoping we can add some T3 next month when i see her, because i'm just not right yet. She is my third one...I've fired the others, and my GP. We disagreed on who gets to give input to and who has the final say in my overall health care. I meet my new GP on Monday. I told him its a job interview :)

There are A LOT of smart people here. Especially on these keto boards, but research and information are key. Good Luck!!

i have not heard of high-histamine foods before, thank you for that information. i really appreciate it. so far, my thyroid function is still normal, so no meds are necessary, very thankful for that. i am just trying to do what i can to keep myself as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

good luck with your new dr and i hope they get everything working properly for you really soon! :smile:
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Searching on reddit (reddit.com/r/keto) is probably going to be your best bet of finding other people in the same boat as you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=thyroid&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all <-- a search for "thyroid" there

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=auto-immune&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all <-- a search for "auto-immune"
  • La5Vega5Girl
    JUST AN UPDATE:
    i found a rheumatologist and have my 1st appt oct 14. they have a holistic office - mind, body, spirit. they have "infusion suites" to help with medication treatments. they offer dietician advice and other professionals to sort through things involving autoimmune disease, arthritis and diabetes. super excited!