Overweight Refeed Keto?

Options
eraser51
eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
Hi!

I am already down 30kg in 1,5 year of my starting weight but got a stall :/

Should I refeed even with 35%BF?

Someone got infos on that?

I know Insulin and Leptin resistant but also heard to do it anyway to reduce cortisol and jump start metabolism again

Been down to 1700kcal... BMR should be 2200-2500 with this BF.... BUT.. Had LOST 1year ago on 2500kcal!

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Typical short answer is no, its not necessary to "carb up" or anything. The only context where I've seen this be appropriate are for folks on a cyclical version of the diet, but these are really only necessary for the top % of athletic types. Its just not relevant to nearly all of us.

How long have you been stalled for? Stalls do happen, changes in activity level or stress or a change in sleep pattern can cause them, or they can feel like they're happening randomly. One or two weeks isn't really a stall, 3+ weeks and it may be time to examine some things, but I really don't think a carb up is the right answer for most people.

Things to look at:

-- Recalculate your macros (http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/), make sure you have the basics in order.
    -- Make sure you haven't allowed carbs to creep up any. Make sure you haven't allowed yourself to get lazy with portion sizes, weigh everything and verify the accuracy of what you've been eating/logging.
    -- Look for problem foods. Do you eat a lot of things with artificial sweeteners? Some people seem to do just fine with them, some don't. Anecdotally, I can't eat quest bars. I don't know why, tons of people do every day on keto. But my blood sugar spikes like crazy on them.

I hate that damn keep calm meme, but KCKO. Be patient. :)
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Typical short answer is no, its not necessary to "carb up" or anything. The only context where I've seen this be appropriate are for folks on a cyclical version of the diet, but these are really only necessary for the top % of athletic types. Its just not relevant to nearly all of us.

How long have you been stalled for? Stalls do happen, changes in activity level or stress or a change in sleep pattern can cause them, or they can feel like they're happening randomly. One or two weeks isn't really a stall, 3+ weeks and it may be time to examine some things, but I really don't think a carb up is the right answer for most people.

Things to look at:

-- Recalculate your macros (http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/), make sure you have the basics in order.
    -- Make sure you haven't allowed carbs to creep up any. Make sure you haven't allowed yourself to get lazy with portion sizes, weigh everything and verify the accuracy of what you've been eating/logging.
    -- Look for problem foods. Do you eat a lot of things with artificial sweeteners? Some people seem to do just fine with them, some don't. Anecdotally, I can't eat quest bars. I don't know why, tons of people do every day on keto. But my blood sugar spikes like crazy on them.

What he said +

I had a stall for a little over a week (I know that is very normal but I was impatient). The advice I got since everything else checked out was to be patient or try intermittent fasting. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I immediately got back to losing weight.
    This is only my experience and may not be the same for everyone.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Is this two more abbreviations for my list?

meme = ??? or is that a typo?

KCKO = ???

Thanks!

Dan the Man
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    <snip>

Excuse my ignorance, I am a newbie. Could you tell me what a "refeed" is? Is that an exercise term? Or a Keto term? Or?

I am compiling a list of Keto terms and abbreviations, and I want to add this term;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DittoDan/view/blog-10-keto-abbreviations-acronyms-terminology-698398

Thank you,

Dan the Man
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    <snip>

Excuse my ignorance, I am a newbie. Could you tell me what a "refeed" is? Is that an exercise term? Or a Keto term? Or?

I am compiling a list of Keto terms and abbreviations, and I want to add this term;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DittoDan/view/blog-10-keto-abbreviations-acronyms-terminology-698398

Thank you,

Dan the Man

Meme: an Internet culture term referring to a phrase, usually accompanied by a funny image that is repeated and changed. Kind of hard to explain because it is a culture thing.

KCKO: keto term
    Keep Calm and Keto On

Refeed: keto and general bodybuilding term.
    As I understand it, the process of reintroducing carbs in your diet ( usually on a cycle ) to improve performance by feeding your muscles or refilling the glycogen and water. This is an advanced method generally used by athletes or bodybuilders. Some non advanced users do this to break out of a stall or gain a little weigh although I have seen many veterans doubt it's merits.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    <snip>

Thank you,

Dan the Man

you changed your avatar! :smile:

as for a previous post regarding intermittent fasting (I.F.) i have been doing that for a very long time and have incorporated keto into my I.F. lifestyle very seamlessly. i LOVE I.F.

i eat dinner with my family at 6:00 p.m. (eating the very last calorie at 6:00 p.m.) and then do not eat again until 12:00 noon the following day. this gives me a fasting to feasting ratio of 18:6. in the mornings, i take BCAA about 30 min before i go to the gym to work-out, then as soon as i get home (or sometimes in the car if it's noon) i will eat.

HTH :smile: