Duathlon Saturday...Maybe?

Options
dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
I figured I'd come to the "pros" here to get some advice. I did my 1st Duathlon on August 2, and I think I kinda jumped the gun with excitement by signing up for my 2nd one, which is scheduled for Saturday.

There was only about 6-8 weeks of training between races, & I ended up getting injured (my right heel) so I haven't really been able to run for a good several weeks. Somehow my eating level has really fallen, & I've been wanting to eat everything! I have been letting myself down, & mentally I'm just not "with it". I've already decided to scale back the "multi-sport" training and focus just on running & weight training; I recently found out I get 5 free sessions with a personal trainer through my work insurance, so I plan on contacting 1 of them & getting an official "plan of attack" to improve & refocus. I guess a year of going solo, & I need help now!

My training has been slacking, my nutrition is lacking and my mental game is wavering. I don't want to skip the race (already paid for) and regret it, but I don't want to go, and either give it a half-hearted attempt or get injured.

So what advice do you have for me? Go ahead & go and try my best, of just say good-bye to the money and just focus on training for the next race I'm entered in (Tampa Police Memorial 5K)?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I, and I stress I, would go and just have fun. Run the initial segment nice and easy to see where you're at health wise, blow out the bike, and then see where you're at on the final run segment. If you feel good pick the pace up, if not just enjoy the atmosphere.
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    Thanks!

It's funny how many "signs" I've been getting saying the same thing. And, have to admit, getting a bit ramped up now as I begin to prepare my tack for it. Still have 3 triathlons on DVR to watch to help get my headspace forward....who knows what tomorrow brings!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I, and I stress I, would go and just have fun. Run the initial segment nice and easy to see where you're at health wise, blow out the bike, and then see where you're at on the final run segment. If you feel good pick the pace up, if not just enjoy the atmosphere.

^^^ This.....Take it easy and just have fun.
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would go. See what you think of the race and if it is one you really want to train hard for next year. Plus there things you can learn while just going at a fun pace. Practice transitions, see if there are pre and post races foods that do you good. Have fun!
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    Well I did go, and thank universe I did!

I felt great in the morning, and while the 1st "mile" was actually a little under (.88 according to my phone app), I did set a pace time PR for it! I did better in the transitions this time than I did in my 1st Du, and even though there was a strong wind on the bike, I set a PR pace time in that, too! This time I actually passed a few people, believe it or not. (Right now I ride a $160 Wal-Mart bought Schwinn mountain bike. Currently scouring Craigslist for a good road bike...) I jumped off the bike, and straight into the run...and kept running. Even I slowed my pace down, and even though I felt one of my headaches coming on (I suffer clinical migraines), I kept going. I ran the whole 5K, as opposed to last time where I had to walk a good portion of it.

The downside to it was the migraine that moved in at the end of the race & knocked me out really through this morning, but the important thing is...I didn't flake out on myself, and do what I have done my whole life: let 1 little thing determine everything. (Eg: Oh, I stubbed my toe, that means I can't leave my house today...) I've proved to myself I can do it, and can call myself "an athlete"

Thanks all!