Need clarification - confused

Options
I have been researching the paleo diet for a while (online - websites, forums etc) and have understood it to mean that you cut out dairy and grains and that it advocates fat, nuts, protein and fruits and veggies. I just got a copy of Loren Cordains book from the library and have started reading it and looking at his recommendations it looks like he is advocating more of a low fat paleo diet with lean cuts of meat etc. Also I noticed that a lot of his recipes use olive oil to cook with instead of coconut oil which I thought olive oil should only be used on salads etc. and not for cooking. So just wanted to know should I be doing paleo and also low fat? Also which oil is best to cook with? Thanks in advance

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Morning, Cordain has retracted the belief of a lower fat content in what we eat, it was based on some bad information he had in his hands. If you go to his website you can find updated information on how his presentation has changed. That being said if you read much on this lifestyle you will find variations and recommendations that may seem contradictory at times but the spirit is usually about eating "whole" foods, minimal or non-processed from better fed animals and organic if at all possible. The grains and dairy being excluded along with legumes is pretty standard stuff, but there are some who can consume these groups it is a practice to eliminate them for a month or so and then try to slowly introduce them until they can determine what is a reaction food.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that detailed explanation I sort of found the information after I asked but your answer just confirmed what I was thinking so thanks. My nutritionist wanted me to adapt to a more fat based nutrient dense diet rather then grain based so thought paleo/primal would be a great way to do this as after researching it for ages her confirmation was the push I needed. Thanks once again for clarying it all for me
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's common that people come to think that nuts are an acceptable food. Perhaps for some, but in moderation. Quality and preparation matters (most of mine are raw, sprouted, then dehydrated). Nuts should not be a staple but many people who have come to Paleo feel the need to justify nuts so that they can still make baked treats aka Paleo Substitutes.

Dr. Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" was my first resource when I looked into Paleo unfortunately. His anti-fat stance drove me away for 3 years- not necessarily his fault but I already knew low fat was a fail for me. However, there are many great resources out there and yes a high fat diet is necessary for health imo.

I cook mostly with animal fats or coconut oil. Occasionally, I'll use olive oil in an Italian dish at lower heat but I do usually stick to olive raw.

It's awesome that you have a better informed nutritionist than most.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Options
    Thanks so much. Yes the nutritionist I see calls herself a natural nutritionist and while she says she doesn't consider herself paleo she eats naturally gluten free grains on occasion and legumes because she says she tolerates them okay.She does however think the paleo diet is a great starting place though and then you can make your adjustments from there depending on what you can tolerate but you should always be gluten and refined sugar free. Very much believes in nutrient dense foods lots of veggies and good sources of protein which is great and the reason I went to her in the first place. I also was able to get a copy of your personnel paleo code from the library but read the cordain book first do you think that book is worth reading the size of it put me off :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like your nutritionist, these kind are rare
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "Your Personal Paleo Code" is a good read but I'm less of a Chris Kresser fan than I used to be. Everything I read I take what's useful to me and leave the rest. I have it on ebook and read it in just a few days so I had no idea it was a big book (which never deters me anyway).

"The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson
    "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas (one of my absolute faves)
    "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
    "Cure Tooth Decay" by Ramiel Nagel (it's a book about nutrition! reading this one now)

And I'm about to read "The Paleo Manifesto" by John Durant.

There's lots of reading recommendations in Suggested Reading.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations and your reply. I'll give it a read just to see another persons perspective and then take it from there. For now I'm just sticking to the basic paleo rules of no grains, no sugar, no dairy. As I read more I may or may not tweek this depending on how I feel. Today I convinced my husband to go to a paleo cafe that is nearby and he couldn't believe how delicious the food was so that's a good start in slowly transitioning my whole family to a more paleo style diet.