High protein vegetarian recipes!

Options
What do you eat every morning to kick start your metabolism ? What protein do you add?
My favourite is vegetable oats or oats idli or oats n besan dosa. But these are time consuming! Any easy ideas ?

Replies

• avameva
    avameva Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been eating greek yogurt with chia seeds and some grapes or honey....
    I have also been making quinoa with veges or south indian tadka or like lemon rice tadka- i havn't tried it yet

I haven't really used any oats ever, do you have any recipes that you could point to, i have always worried that oats don't taste good. :)
  • Kundalela
    Options
    In the mornings I usually have a vegan protein shake from Arbonne. It fills me up fast but I find myself hungry again around 10am.
  • Sparklever
    Sparklever Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi !!
    Thanks for sharing ! I will try this out. I have recently started having vegan shake as well from 180 nutrition meal replacement protein but as a smoothie and add fruits (banana, strawberry, mixed berries etc) spinach, chia seeds ,flax meal , celery , ginger. It keeps me full for about 3 hours.. I am really liking it as it's completely natural and has no fillers or soy or artificial ingredients.

I used to hate oats earlier but during weekends I have tried experimenting with it and love it! Try oats idly - the recipe is like rava idli but use oats instead if rava. Add lots if veggies and since it's steamed it's super healthy!
    Ingredients:
    Oats
    Buttermilk/ curd two cups ( dilute greek yogurt to increase protein value)
    Grated carrot
    Peas
    Grated ginger
    Coriander
    Salt

For tadka:
    Mustard seeds
    2-3 tablespoon oil
    Hing

This is how I prepare it-

Dry roast about 2 cups of oats and then coarsely powder it in a mixer.
    In a bowl mix all the ingredients, add about one cup water to make the mixture similar to idly atta consistency.
    Prepare tadka with oil mustard seeds and hing and add it to the mixture. Keep the mixture aside for about 30-45 mins and then keep it in idli stand for steaming like regular idly.

Use this link as well!
    http://www.padhuskitchen.com/2011/12/instant-oats-idli-oats-idli-recipe.html
  • avameva
    Options
    Here is a recipe for a high protein greek quinoa

15 Ingredients

1.0 cup, Quinoa
    1.0 fruit, Avocado, No Skin or Seed
    0.5 cup(s), Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram) - Cooked, boiled, with salt
    0.25 tbsp(s), Organic Chia Seeds
    3.0 tbsp(s), Oil - Olive
    0.25 cup, Cheese - Parmesan, grated
    0.5 cup, crumbled, Cheese - Feta
    1.5 medium, Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw
    3.0 large whole (3" dia), Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average
    0.5 cucumber (8-1/4"), Cucumber - With peel, raw
    1.0 Potato small (1-3/4" to 2-1/2" dia), Potato - Flesh and skin, raw
    1.0 sweetpotato, 5" long, Sweet potato - Raw, unprepared (Sweetpotato)
    0.125 cup, 1/4 Cup Walnuts
    0.5 cup, with hulls, edible yield, Seeds - Sunflower seed kernels, dried
    0.125 C (40 g)1/8 cup, Dried Cranberries

I boiled the quinoa 1 cup with 2 cups water
    I roasted the vegetables at 450F for 45 mins, turned it once in between that time.
    then just mixed everything, i also added lemon juice, salt and pepper for taste. It is a little high on calories, but very high on proteins.

You can add or remove any thing, next time i would not add parmesan cheese and reduce walnuts. It makes 7 cups. Below is the Nutrition information, i added this recipe on MFP and it gave me that info, that was pretty neat instead of guesstimating. :)

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 7.0
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 340
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 17 g 27 %
    Saturated Fat 4 g 20 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 8 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 13 mg 4 %
    Sodium 230 mg 10 %
    Potassium 849 mg 24 %
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13 %
    Dietary Fiber 7 g 28 %
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 11 g 22 %
    Vitamin A 70 %
    Vitamin C 41 %
    Calcium 15 %
    Iron 21 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Thats a great recipe!!! Thanks for sharing Avani!
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Oats cutlet recipe I found interesting and filling!

http://pachakam.com/Recipes/Vegetable-Oats-Cutlet-7691

I added a lot of grated veggies, mashed chickpeas and skipped potato. Added one tablespoon of rice flour to enable the mixture to blend in and it was amazing! On a second thought - I could also add quinoa next time!!

Hope you all enjoy!
  • avameva
    Options
    Is there a way to not fry the cutlets? Do you think we could bake them?
    The recipe is looks yummy :)
  • Sparklever
    Options
    I dont fry the cutlets most of the times. I use non stick tava to make the cutlets and use canola oil spray. I smear a few drops of coconut oil on the cutlets and let the cutlets cook and get brown (low flame gas!)
    Baking is a great idea - I havent tried as I am terrible with it and always end up burning whatever I try! :P Its just me but you could try..

Also, how about adding a little besan and some soda to this and making this in the form of dhokla cakes? Should experiment this sometime! :)
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Eating our own dals in different forms provide a burst of much required protein! Check out the link to see the nutritional value.

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/nutrition-lentils.html

Do you all shuffle and change the type of dals you use? keen to hear.. :)
  • avameva
    Options
    Yes. Earlier i used to make a lot of daal and eat it for 3 days and would get bored. Now, I make small quantities. I dont eat daal everyday but every other day.

toor daal as sambar,
    yellow moong daal with south indian tadka,
    green moong daal with a tomato base
    Black chickpeas
    white chickpeas
    Rajmah
    blackeyed peas

I also sprouted 1/4 cup of each -green moong daal, yellow moong daal, black and white chick peas, i then ground them, added some bread crumbs, onion, green chilies and some other spices and made lentil patty out of it. Its a little dry, so you may want to add potato(1-2) to make it more soft.
  • Sparklever
    Options
    Yes. Earlier i used to make a lot of daal and eat it for 3 days and would get bored. Now, I make small quantities. I dont eat daal everyday but every other day.

toor daal as sambar,
    yellow moong daal with south indian tadka,
    green moong daal with a tomato base
    Black chickpeas
    white chickpeas
    Rajmah
    blackeyed peas

I also sprouted 1/4 cup of each -green moong daal, yellow moong daal, black and white chick peas, i then ground them, added some bread crumbs, onion, green chilies and some other spices and made lentil patty out of it. Its a little dry, so you may want to add potato(1-2) to make it more soft.

Thats a great snack!! Thanks Avani!

One question though - I find brown chick peas really boring :( (sorry!) Have tried making a sabzi / curry out of it but still find it tough to like it. Started adding a scoop of cooked brown chickpeas to my salad these days. Would reallllly be happy to know of any interesting ways to use this!
  • avameva
    Options
    I have made the brown chickpeas two ways:

Sprouted it and made Chaat (add onion, tomato, potato, cucumber, some chaat masala, etc)

Pressure cooked it, evaporated 95% of the water, added- red chili powder, mango powder, salt, coriander seeds crushed, and garam masala. This is the north indian style made during navratri ashtami. I made it yesterday, it is really enjoyable.

Try and see if you like any of the above ways. :)
  • Sparklever
    Options
    I have made the brown chickpeas two ways:

Sprouted it and made Chaat (add onion, tomato, potato, cucumber, some chaat masala, etc)

Pressure cooked it, evaporated 95% of the water, added- red chili powder, mango powder, salt, coriander seeds crushed, and garam masala. This is the north indian style made during navratri ashtami. I made it yesterday, it is really enjoyable.

Try and see if you like any of the above ways. :)

Great! Sounds yumm .. Thanks Avani!
  • Sparklever
    Options
    I am excited to share my experiment to create super healthy high protein recipe yesterday.
    This is very similar to the famous dip hummus. We all know hummus is a great dip, protein rich etc etc. I think we eat chickpeas (white and brown) in many forms chana masala, two -three recipes avani mentioned above, regular use of besan in dhokla, dosas etc. I replaced chickpeas with pre-soaked horsegram in the hummus recipe and it turned out really yummy!!! have made a good box of this dip and plan to eat this with carrots, cucumber sticks, mutigrain crackers, wheat thins etc. You can use any recipe of hummus but I made it this way:

1. dry roast sesame seeds (2-3 teaspoons)
    2. add roasted sesame seeds, two garlic cloves, one green chilli (this is my addition as I love spicy food), olive oil (2-3 teaspoon) into a mixer and blend it into a smooth paste
    3. add 1 cup of pre soaked horsegram (pre-soak horsegram for about 8 hours) , salt, one more garlic clove if you like and olive oil (2-3 spoons) and little water and blend well untill its a smooth paste.

When I shared this with my mom, she said she does this with a twist - she makes this as a chutney and adds little tamarind and roasted onions (half onion roasted with one-two drops of oil) to this just to add some flavour. Well.., no recipe is new to moms are they?!!

BTW, horsegrams are super nutritious, has a lot of medicinal value but are terribly underused. I never liked it in the past as the usal made out of horsegram is not as tasty as moong or chana ka usal. Found it in an Indian store recently and was reminded of my mom's words where she kept talking about how 'shaktishaali and sleek like a horse' I would become if I ate it! *phew* . Happy with this chutney / dip experiment!

Try out your version and enjoy :smile: