refeed

do you refeed? yes or no? if yes, why and how often? if no, why not?

TFS!!! :wink:

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Great question. Looking forward to the answers.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    No I don't I still have too much weight to loose and my BMI is around 29.

I will "refeed" once I'm at my goal weight, but only to allow me to cheat once a week or I know I won't keep up with this lifestyle.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Nope. It's been almost a year. I am at my current goal weight (although still losing slightly). And I've never done refeeds. I have no intention of ever starting them either. I see no point to them.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    thanks everyone :smile:

i do heavy-lifting and have read alot of "pros" of refeeding when trying to build muscle. i appreciate your input.
  • FIT_Goat
    If you're into heavy lifting, you should watch the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O9duM9hOw&feature=youtu.be

It's unlikely you're lifting heavier than he is. If you listen, he talks about a period where he was trying refeeds to improve his lifting. He stopped because he didn't find them to be beneficial. These days he's gone to targeted carb-ups (measured doses of carbs about 30 minutes before heavy lifting sessions).

Edit: If you are, somehow, lifting heavier than darthluiggi, you should experiment and see what works best for your results. But, there are people who lift without any sort of carb loading ("The Art of Low Carbohydrate Performance" book gets into the details of that).
  • I don't refeed and I lift 2.5 times my body weight. I personally don't see any benefits of reefed because my body loves to run on fat. I tried to have carbs before/after workouts for a week and my body would recover slower. I personally wouldn't bother refeed unless I am doing 4-6 hrs lifting sessions per day. If you are new to low carb/keto its normal to have less energy at the beginning when body is adapting to fat as fuel at high intensities, but after few weeks it gets better. Read the book, Art and science of low carbohydrate performance for athletes. What type of lifting do you? compound? isolated? How much do you lift compared to body weight? If you are not close to twice your body weight, its probably not that heavy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    I don't refeed and I lift 2.5 times my body weight. I personally don't see any benefits of reefed because my body loves to run on fat. I tried to have carbs before/after workouts for a week and my body would recover slower. I personally wouldn't bother refeed unless I am doing 4-6 hrs lifting sessions per day. If you are new to low carb/keto its normal to have less energy at the beginning when body is adapting to fat as fuel at high intensities, but after few weeks it gets better. Read the book, Art and science of low carbohydrate performance for athletes. What type of lifting do you? compound? isolated? How much do you lift compared to body weight? If you are not close to twice your body weight, its probably not that heavy.

Oh goodness no - i don't lift twice my body weight. LOL when i use the term "heavy lifting" i just mean that i do low reps with high weights and increase each week. i am not trying to be insulting to anyone, but i have never been the type to "lift like a girl" with little 5 lbs weights or something like that.

i really appreciate everyone's input and i will be watching the video for sure and reading up on the subject. my husband told me to expect to be "weaker in the gym" at first and wow was he right. but i'm sticking with it. i haven't "carb'd up" or done a refeed, as i am still very new to keto (one week) but i wanted to find out what others were doing.

thanks so much! :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    If you're into heavy lifting, you should watch the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O9duM9hOw&feature=youtu.be

It's unlikely you're lifting heavier than he is. If you listen, he talks about a period where he was trying refeeds to improve his lifting. He stopped because he didn't find them to be beneficial. These days he's gone to targeted carb-ups (measured doses of carbs about 30 minutes before heavy lifting sessions).

Edit: If you are, somehow, lifting heavier than darthluiggi, you should experiment and see what works best for your results. But, there are people who lift without any sort of carb loading ("The Art of Low Carbohydrate Performance" book gets into the details of that).

thank you for the info - i really appreciate it. i am def. going to watch the video. i am not ready to experiment yet as i'm too new to keto. i was just really curious about what others do. it's amazing how much info there is out there on refeed. i told my husband about it and he had never heard of it, and he was thinking about trying (he's been doing keto much longer than i) - but i think i am going to give him all this info first. TFS! :flowerforyou:
  • FIT_Goat
    I think it all depends on how your body reacts to things. I would wait at least 2-3 months of keto before attempting the first refeed, if you're interested in experimenting with them. You want to make sure you have fully adapted to keto (not just past the keto flu), so you can really judge whether or not the refeed is having a positive effect.

I don't lift heavy. The most I do is pull ups, body weight squats, incline push ups, and leg lifts. So, I have no experience with heavy lifting on low carb. Leonidas is obviously a better person to listen to. And, we both recommend the same book (make sure you grab the one for performance, not living). I do know that my running and biking performance was not great at the start. I actually got frustrated enough with it that I just stopped for about 3 months to let my body adapt.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    I think it all depends on how your body reacts to things. I would wait at least 2-3 months of keto before attempting the first refeed, if you're interested in experimenting with them. You want to make sure you have fully adapted to keto (not just past the keto flu), so you can really judge whether or not the refeed is having a positive effect.

I don't lift heavy. The most I do is pull ups, body weight squats, incline push ups, and leg lifts. So, I have no experience with heavy lifting on low carb. Leonidas is obviously a better person to listen to. And, we both recommend the same book (make sure you grab the one for performance, not living). I do know that my running and biking performance was not great at the start. I actually got frustrated enough with it that I just stopped for about 3 months to let my body adapt.

i was on my last lift yesterday and couldn't do it. i was SO MAD!! :grumble:
    i thought about stopping but i just couldn't walk away. so i sat there for about 2 minutes, then lifted that last one! it felt great but wow i couldn't move my arms last night! LOL

i truly appreciate your input :smile:
  • I don't refeed and I lift 2.5 times my body weight. I personally don't see any benefits of reefed because my body loves to run on fat. I tried to have carbs before/after workouts for a week and my body would recover slower. I personally wouldn't bother refeed unless I am doing 4-6 hrs lifting sessions per day. If you are new to low carb/keto its normal to have less energy at the beginning when body is adapting to fat as fuel at high intensities, but after few weeks it gets better. Read the book, Art and science of low carbohydrate performance for athletes. What type of lifting do you? compound? isolated? How much do you lift compared to body weight? If you are not close to twice your body weight, its probably not that heavy.

Oh goodness no - i don't lift twice my body weight. LOL when i use the term "heavy lifting" i just mean that i do low reps with high weights and increase each week. i am not trying to be insulting to anyone, but i have never been the type to "lift like a girl" with little 5 lbs weights or something like that.

i really appreciate everyone's input and i will be watching the video for sure and reading up on the subject. my husband told me to expect to be "weaker in the gym" at first and wow was he right. but i'm sticking with it. i haven't "carb'd up" or done a refeed, as i am still very new to keto (one week) but i wanted to find out what others were doing.

thanks so much! :smile:

You have the right approach, it gets better every week as your body adjusts. Refeed for most peoe I know is more of an excuse to eat carbs.
  • La5Vega5Girl

You have the right approach, it gets better every week as your body adjusts. Refeed for most peoe I know is more of an excuse to eat carbs.

yea, i would kill someone for a do-nut right about now. LOL
    i thought about if i did a refeed that i would probably eat a banana because it just looks so darn good! and a tortilla chip.
    but then i thought about how hard i have worked all week and i don't want to ruin my work! so i am making keto fudge instead!
    :love: