Chinese food.

I know this is really random, but, I'm ordering Chinese food for dinner. What would be the most keto-friendly thing to get?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    i think soy sauce has a ton of carbs. teriyaki isn't too bad, though. avoid fried rice. no egg rolls. wow, not sure what you can have. LOL maybe someone with more experience has some ideas. maybe you could get beef & broccoli, but ask for nutrition info so you can find out the carbs in the sauce?

sorry, that really wasn't helpful. LOL :blushing:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Thanks- i thought to be safe I would stick with beef or chicken with broccoli. No rice, of course.:glasses:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    This is too late for your meal, but earlier this week I had pork egg foo young. I did some research and it seems to be very low in carbs, as in under 5 grams per serving. I thought this was pretty good for Chinese food. I didn't know soy sauce was high...will have to look into that.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    This is too late for your meal, but earlier this week I had pork egg foo young. I did some research and it seems to be very low in carbs, as in under 5 grams per serving. I thought this was pretty good for Chinese food. I didn't know soy sauce was high...will have to look into that.

Actually I just looked up the soy sauce and found it to be 0 carbs per tablespoon. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • I can totally recommend the foo yung (you can get chicken, beef, prawn or mixed meat), which is basically a chinese omelette. It tastes like egg fried rice without the rice and I pour a little satay sauce over the top. Delish!

It's not complete keto friendly but I think it's the best damage limitation that you will find! :)
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Soy sauce isn't full of carbs, it does contain gluten though

http://calorielab.com/brands/kikkoman-soy-sauce/147/2005086
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Soy sauce isn't full of carbs, it does contain gluten though

http://calorielab.com/brands/kikkoman-soy-sauce/147/2005086

the brand i had in my refrig had 19g/carbs. i threw it out and i am going to find a gluten-free variety.
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    egg foo young (w/o sauce)
    steamed veggies (you can get them with meat too) no sauce i like to eat them @ home with cream cheese for added fat lol
    shrimp or chicken chow mein --- no chips (they don't call 'em chips but they look like little tortilla chips you put on it for a garnish)
    I do wings sometimes, they are breaded but very lightly it's like there's nothing there.

you can google chinese food carbs, and you'll find a list of what's lower
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    In talking about sugar sauce, very few Chinese restaurants that I know have a truly custom sauce for each dish. Most dishes like broccoli beef, kung pao chicken, mushu, anything ginger garlic sauce, and general tso's chicken start off with a soy sauce+sugar base; from there additional sugar, starch, vinegar or chili paste added. I guess it's kind of like a mother sauce. So anything that has the texture of gravy is loaded with starch and sugar.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2ejxc7/keto_insight_on_chinese_food_from_a_chinese/

For future reference, the above is a good example of why I just avoid Chinese food now.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Wow, thanks for the link, Frob. That was an eye opener.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    I just noticed this thread now. On rare occasions my family orders chinese food. Lately I've been getting chicken and broccoli, steamed, with NO sauce at all. They used to give carrots but lately they stopped serving carrots with the steamed broccoli which works fine for me. And no rice of course haha...
    When it arrives I put my own keto friendly sauces and spices on it.
  • Black bean sauce isn't too bad. Teriyaki is high in sugar. Plain soy is good. It's really difficult because a lot of the Chinese restaurants use a ton of starch in their sauces. You really need to talk to someone there that understands and tell them no sugar, lots of oil is ok, no starch. Good luck!
  • I just noticed this thread now. On rare occasions my family orders chinese food. Lately I've been getting chicken and broccoli, steamed, with NO sauce at all. They used to give carrots but lately they stopped serving carrots with the steamed broccoli which works fine for me. And no rice of course haha...
    When it arrives I put my own keto friendly sauces and spices on it.

Probably the best thing to do!