Temporary pain around my middle?

Options
I did W4D1 today(killer for me!) and during my last interval of walking and running I felt a pain around my stomach area. It was a few inches above my belly button and a couple inches beneath my ribs. I mostly felt it when I would inhale and it went away within about 30 minutes after the cool down. This 30 minutes included a walk of about 10-15 minutes, mostly uphill, after the workout was done since I usually end up a bit away from my apartment if that matters. Is this just a thing that happens or am I doing something wrong? Is that my core? Where even is your core? Forgive my ignorance haha, I'm just getting back into regularly exercising

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's a side stich, which is a muscle spasm, I think. They happen occasionally and can be quite painful but they aren't harmful and go away quickly.
    They can be caused by weak core muscles (there are other causes but this is one). Your core is your torso muscles, mainly the belly and lower back area.
    Some other causes of side stitches are dehydration and exercising too hard too quickly. Also, they happen to everyone for no reason at all once in awhile.
    Just walk them out, while breathing in deeply. They usually go away in a short while.