My Keto Trap

Options
Every time, I know why I fail ......

One of the best things about keto is my food cravings decrease to the stage where eating actually becomes such a chore. This is wonderful however when weekends come around, I have no motivation to create a keto friendly treat because I'm just so "meh" about food. I need to feel inspired to cook and when I feel inspired I think I do a really good job. But when I'm in keto there is no foodspiration, I just want something cheap, quick, easy and tasty - and there lies the problem!! The only foods I find in those categories are the crap that I am trying not to eat. So the last few weekends I have really, really struggled!

Any tips?

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, but I would add some carbs back in.... maybe a la Atkins OWL
    I found I'm still in the 2.2 ish equivalent range of beta-hydroxybutyrate at nearly 25 gm carb a day average (I fast 3 days a week, so really like 45 gm carb on each of my 4 feeding days.)
    I find that adding this level of carbs back in has helped me feel hunger more appropriately again.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    * Hard boil and peel a couple dozen eggs (or just one if you're not into eggs as much as I am) before the weekend.

* Precook some bacon and store it to pick at.

* Make some of the above two into devilled eggs with bacon chunks in them.

* Pork rinds, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese is a great easy snack.

* Deli meats wrapped around cheese and/or cream cheese.

* Burgers and steaks are really quick and easy to grill and eat.

* Once in a while, I like iced coffee with protein powder and heavy cream on the weekends.

etc.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    * Hard boil and peel a couple dozen eggs (or just one if you're not into eggs as much as I am) before the weekend.

* Precook some bacon and store it to pick at.

* Make some of the above two into devilled eggs with bacon chunks in them.

* Pork rinds, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese is a great easy snack.

* Deli meats wrapped around cheese and/or cream cheese.

* Burgers and steaks are really quick and easy to grill and eat.

* Once in a while, I like iced coffee with protein powder and heavy cream on the weekends.

etc.

Brilliant advice , these are my weekday staples but could you imagine, hubby suggested steak tonight and I was just so not fussed? Sometimes I think keto would be easier if I just lived on shakes because I completely lose interest in food!

I am looking to pick my exercise up more this week so maybe the OWL approach would be better. To be honest I have been more <50g the past few weeks anyway but when I work out a lot I still end up in K.
    Red wine and dark chocolate being what keeps me "on plan" over the weekends.

I like the not wanting to eat feeling though it's a polar opposite to what I am like when I eat moderate-high carbs!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

One of the best things about keto is my food cravings decrease to the stage where eating actually becomes such a chore. This is wonderful however when weekends come around, I have no motivation to create a keto friendly treat because I'm just so "meh" about food. I need to feel inspired to cook and when I feel inspired I think I do a really good job. But when I'm in keto there is no foodspiration, I just want something cheap, quick, easy and tasty - and there lies the problem!! The only foods I find in those categories are the crap that I am trying not to eat. So the last few weekends I have really, really struggled!

Any tips?

What treats are you looking for? I find it very cheap and easy to eat Keto with out cooking.
  • ElliieMental
    Options

Any tips?

What treats are you looking for? I find it very cheap and easy to eat Keto with out cooking.

I guess the old weekend crap that I used to fill my face with, pizza, curry, mexican. I know I can get a keto fix of all of these but it requires cooking and not many of those recipes are freezable. Those which are I tend to live on during the week.

What stuff do you treat yourself to on a weekend? I am quite happy with my same old, same old during the week because I am so busy, I have a system which just works for me. But on the weekend I am looking for something which is a bit different, a bit special - or it just feels like any other day!! lol :bigsmile:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, but I would add some carbs back in.... maybe a la Atkins OWL
    I found I'm still in the 2.2 ish equivalent range of beta-hydroxybutyrate at nearly 25 gm carb a day average (I fast 3 days a week, so really like 45 gm carb on each of my 4 feeding days.)
    I find that adding this level of carbs back in has helped me feel hunger more appropriately again.

PatChE,

I see a new abbreviation: OWL, what is it? O = ??? W= Weight? L = Loss?
  • ElliieMental
    Options

PatChE,

lol - Ongoing Weight Loss, it's a stage of Atkins you move to once you have completed induction and lost a decent amount of weight. Or did you know that and are just being silly?? :laugh:
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

PatChE,

Atkins OWL = Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss

A period after induction, where you add carbs until you find your weight loss stops. And then keep your carbs below that number.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options

PatChE,

Atkins OWL = Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss

A period after induction, where you add carbs until you find your weight loss stops. And then keep your carbs below that number.
    Exactly.
    I added carbs back in because I was overly ketogenic (>4.0 mmol/l blood), and it was difficult eating. Adding a few ore carbs (I was eating about 8 grams a day), it helped re-ignite my hunger cues that were obliterated by the ketosis (not that it's a bad thing, only if you can't get your food in from disinterest).
    But, whatever works for you. :)
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Tricky isn't it!! What would suit me is if we could just click a button to refuel when we need it....... instead of these stupid subject blurred lines of hunger......

Will see what this next week brings xx
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my hubby doesn't get bored with the same foods and it drives me mad. he is like the perfect keto candidate. he hated food anyway, hated eating, only ate to live, never ENJOYED food the way i did/do. so if i pack him the same lunch day after day, he doesn't care. i have to have variety! LOL for example, today i wanted cold cereal. craving it so bad! i cut-up a South Beach Diet peanut-butter & chocolate "granola" bar (5 carbs) and put it in a bowl with half&half - instant cereal with 5 carbs instead of 30-40 like traditional cereals. that was so satisfying, and was different than what we usually do.

anyway, sorry you're having trouble. there is great advice above! :smile:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Any tips?

I guess the old weekend crap that I used to fill my face with, pizza, curry, mexican. I know I can get a keto fix of all of these but it requires cooking and not many of those recipes are freezable. Those which are I tend to live on during the week.

What stuff do you treat yourself to on a weekend? I am quite happy with my same old, same old during the week because I am so busy, I have a system which just works for me. But on the weekend I am looking for something which is a bit different, a bit special - or it just feels like any other day!! lol :bigsmile:

Pizza: I use Chicken breast as crust, very easy and takes 15 min to make. I use bacon, mushroom,pepperoni etc as topping with lots of cheese. You can use tomato based sauce or add sricha to spice it up.
    Curry: Pretty easy to fit in Keto, add spices and you have a curry. I cook fried or scrambled egg with curry powder and ginger garlic paste along with onions when ever i want to eat curry. It takes less than 15 min.
    Mexican: I eat everything mexican except Tortailla, rice and beans. If you want you might eat some beans.

I drink heavy cream shakes and do make ice cream sometimes which hardly takes 15 min. I usually don't make anything which takes more than 20 min. Keep it simple so every day is like a cheat day with out going off track.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (...)
    I drink heavy cream shakes and do make ice cream sometimes which hardly takes 15 min. (...)

@Leonidas_meets_Spartacus

:noway: Ice cream?!? :noway:

Please share recipe! I love ice cream of all kinds, when I was a teenager I tried to freeze soup! :laugh:
  • ElliieMental
    Options

Any tips?

Pizza: I use Chicken breast as crust, very easy and takes 15 min to make. I use bacon, mushroom,pepperoni etc as topping with lots of cheese. You can use tomato based sauce or add sricha to spice it up.
    Curry: Pretty easy to fit in Keto, add spices and you have a curry. I cook fried or scrambled egg with curry powder and ginger garlic paste along with onions when ever i want to eat curry. It takes less than 15 min.
    Mexican: I eat everything mexican except Tortailla, rice and beans. If you want you might eat some beans.

I drink heavy cream shakes and do make ice cream sometimes which hardly takes 15 min. I usually don't make anything which takes more than 20 min. Keep it simple so every day is like a cheat day with out going off track.

You are totally right of course. If I read all that stuff yesterday when I was in keto I would have still felt "meh" at the thought of cooking it all (even though it's minimal) but now the thought of making those things makes my mouth water!! I think I might just need to keep my carbs up to 50g so I can maintain my appetite as suggested. It will help with me upping my training too.

Thank you all for the advice, you lovely lot! :heart: :bigsmile:
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    (...)
    I drink heavy cream shakes and do make ice cream sometimes which hardly takes 15 min. (...)

@Leonidas_meets_Spartacus

:noway: Ice cream?!? :noway:

Please share recipe! I love ice cream of all kinds, when I was a teenager I tried to freeze soup! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • MartinaTVS
    MartinaTVS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I get to that point I lean on a carryout option. Usually BW3 hot wings and celery and ranch or a steak salad from a Greek place. There are times when I'm just not feeling it but I will end up on a binge if I give in even a little.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    What about sugar free jello with whipped heavy cream on top? Put them in a muffin tin for single servings.

Or if you're looking to up your carbs a little on the weekends like a pp mentioned, eat some carrots, grape tomatoes, cottage cheese or flavored or unflavored almonds. They aren't very carb heavy and allows you to easy count/measure out a serving so you don't eat too many.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    What about sugar free jello with whipped heavy cream on top? Put them in a muffin tin for single servings.

Or if you're looking to up your carbs a little on the weekends like a pp mentioned, eat some carrots, grape tomatoes, cottage cheese or flavored or unflavored almonds. They aren't very carb heavy and allows you to easy count/measure out a serving so you don't eat too many.

Even better, make sugar-free jello and replace half the cold water with cream. It comes out fantastic.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Even better, make sugar-free jello and replace half the cold water with cream. It comes out fantastic.

ummmmmmmmm YEA i WILL be doing this today!!!!! :love:
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing and in ketosis at 50 g of net carbs and exercise, I say keep going and increase those carbs by 5 per week and see if your appetite comes back. If you continue to lose, eat at the higher net carb amounts, and consider yourself VERY.LUCKY!!!