low(er) carb green smoothie

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
If you're like me, and you like the occasional green smoothie, you probably also want it to taste fruity but not be full of sugar and high in fruit carbs.

Here's what I do from time to time. It's a little unusual, but it fits the bill.

Here's today's variation:
spinach, almonds, flaxseeds, coconut oil, water, and... a tub of berry zip fizz.
(I planned to add a half an avocado but forgot)

I did 2 cups of spinach, so the carbs are a bit higher (but I'm not really low carb).

Basically: whatever you want to put in as the greens and fats, and then a zip fizz for the fruit flavor.

http://www.zipfizz.com/Product-Berry.aspx

Zipfizz isn't the "cleanest", but as far as a multivitamin product goes, it's not bad. The berry flavor does have xylitol, and sucrulose so if that's an issue for you, this wouldn't work. (It's about the only artificial sweetener I get).

I'm sure some of the other powdered sugar free drinks would work, but I like zip fizz because of the VITAMINS. I get it at costco or amazon, and it doesn't upset my stomach.

I've done this with the orange cream flavor too and it turns it into a very creamy dreamsicle.

fwiw, don't know if it appeals to any of the true low carbers here but it may appeal to south beach folks or others.

(since I'm not low carb, I'm hedging a lot as you can see!)

Cheers.

Replies

• I make a green drink daily, 1 1/2 C. Spinach or 1/2 Spinach 1/2 Kale, 1/4 C. Blueberry, 1 C. Unsweetened Almond/Coconut Milk, 3/4 tsp Cinnamon, 1 scoop of Low Carb Vanilla Whey Protein and water to fill rest of blender. It's tasty, I have it for breakfast and there is enough left to drink as afternoon snack!