TDEE Settings

Options
I am reposting this from the general forums in hopes of getting some feedback:

I am using the TDEE method (-20%) but am unsure how to set the activity level.

On the scooby calculator it has options for light, medium, heavy etc activity.

My exercise: MWF - Stronlifts 5x5 plus 2 additional 5x5 supporting exercises (usually arms and core)
TTh, mountain bike riding (45-75 minutes, 14mph - between 800 and 1200 calories measured with HRM)

Basic counting would put that at 5 days of moderate exercise. However when I choose that setting on scoobys it gives me almost 600 calories more a day. Counting the actual calories burnt (assuming ~200 for lifting days) should only give me 350/day.

Which setting is more realistic... or would you go with the actual 350 off of the base?

Yeah - I know I am probably overthinking this over 250 calories... but hey - thats a half pound a week.

Replies

• samammay
    Options
    43/m/72"
    CW: 227.2
    GW: 195
    Current Calories/Day: 2312
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I prefer to start with a bw multiplier of 10-12. So at your current weight starting at the higher end would be 2700 or lower end is 2270. Give it a few weeks and adjust if necessary :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Doesn't scooby ask for hours of exercise, not days?

Oh, the Light, Medium, ect isn't in regards to the type of exercise, but the amount in the week.
    Also it's assumed sedentary daily activity type job.

Because would 3 days of walking 30 min each be equal to 3 days of biking 3 hrs each?
    Even when doing it by hours - is 1 hr of walking the same as 1 hr running as 1 hr of lifting?
    Obviously not in either case.

That's why the spreadsheet on my profile page uses an activity calculator for minutes of different types of exercise in a week, just pull an average for time. And that's based on study from WHO in 1985, and Durnin, Passmore in 1967, and Bubb, Martin, Howley 1985.
    Not from a study in 1919 by Harris.

And as a guy, Chris's idea works well too for short time period. Just get valid weigh-ins to minimize expected known water fluctuations, and don't go changing the workout just prior to the 2 week weigh-in.
    Valid weigh-in - morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.
    So probably your Mon morning if Sun was normal eating day.
  • samammay
    Options
    Doesn't scooby ask for hours of exercise, not days?

It does - and I exercise roughly 4.25h/wk.

My confusion comes in with calories burnt. I'll burn 1000 calories riding pretty consistently, but I also only ride twice a week. I know weight lifting doesnt burn nearly the calories as intense cardio.

Let me take a look at that spreadsheet. It sounds a lot of what answers I am looking for.

Thanks!
  • samammay
    Options
    I downloaded the spreadsheet and it gave me the results I was more or less expecting - basically split the difference between Scooby's light and moderate settings.

Works for me. I'll give it a month or two and see how things go.
    Thanks!~