What is hunger when you are overweight?

Options
This morning I offered to make my (extremely lean and muscular) husband breakfast, and he innocently said, "I'm not really hungry. Are you?"

And I replied, "With 40 extra pounds of fat on me ... am I technically 'hungry' ever?"

So then my mind just went every which way -- fasting, calorie counting, digital weight scales, is whiskey paleo?, --

But really what I want to know is: What is that "hunger pain" I'm feeling if I'm not technically in NEED of food due to the storage units I carry so conveniently on my thighs, hips, and abdomen?

Replies

• Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a funny thing.

We are biologically programmed to store energy (fat) for when the lean times/famine comes.

So if you are undereating a great deal (losing 2 pounds a week is actually a lot in these terms) your body will try to defend its fat stores and you will be hungry. Your body wants to keep its fat.

On the other hand, WHAT you eat can really affect hunger. Sugars and simple carbs make you hungrier because you get a quick rise in blood sugar, then a surge of insulin to deal with the sugar, then a rapid fall in blood sugar, which your brain interprets as EAT EAT EAT.

Other hormones are involved in hunger regulation: ghrelin, peptide Y, cholecystokinin......

What we know is that high volume, high fiber foods like veggies help with hunger; sufficient healthy fat helps with hunger, and protein helps as well. Exercise also can help with hunger suppression in some people. (It does for me) Others get hungrier.

PLUS...don't forget eating isn't all about energy balance (calories). You also need to supply your body with essential fatty acids, amino acids, and micronutrients like Vit. C, none of which we can manufacture in our bodies---we are obligate consumers of such things. Which makes you hungry. My own personal theory is that my hunger tends to towards the physiologic the more I eat real food and move around like a vagabond. Meaning I don't get cravings or that mad I HAVE TO EAT NOW feeling.

Rosey
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Of course a person gets hungry when they are over-weight! Firstly, people with excess fat are not burning it, they are mostly using carbohydrate for energy and are not "fat-adapted". They will likely be hungry all the time. Secondly, hormones are triggering the response that food is needed. Thirdly, it is my experience and opinion that obese people are usually very malnourished. So if a person is not getting all the micro-nutrients they need for bodily functions will not one be driven to eat constantly? That's what happened to me.

Why would you think a person shouldn't be hungry just because they are over-weight? If a person stops fuelling the body the metabolism does slow; it's not a myth, it is a real strategy to prevent starvation! I see people in my town that live on barely any food; why do they not die? Because the human body is an amazing system designed to weather all kinds of adversity, including starvation.

Do not under-eat in an effort to lose fat. You will lose lean body mass, which looks terrific judging by the scale but not by the mirror and measurements. You will also slow metabolism. I lost weight rather quickly in my first year, and now I'm paying for it. I have body fat that won't budge (I'm not active enough) and the metabolism of a slug.

Don't struggle with hunger. Eat the healthy foods as much as needed; watch the carbs/sugar if they stimulate cravings and over-eating.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow Rosey, that was very informative and a great reminder about WHAT we eat can make us feel hungrier. As soon as I read the OP's question I started wondering why, being as fat as I am, am I hungry all the time- you answered that well so thank you!!