I gave up my weekly cocktails so this better work!

Options
Hi there!

I just found this group and I'm SOOOO glad I did. Nobody IRL understands much about the Keto diet. Backlash of how un-natural it is or how bad is for my heart, blah, blah, blah. Nevermind the countless studies on how GOOD saturated fat is for you. Some Bread People are so discrimminating!

I've been doing Keto (10c/20p/70f) for about month and apparently survived the withdrawal headaches so here I am. I've had to do a lot of fine tuning since I fell into it without researching so much in the beginning. I've chosen this lifestyle diet after denying years of being allergic to wheat. I've built up an insulin resistance, arthritis, hypothyroid, cardio vascular disease, and moderately high cholestoral levels (currently on statins-booo!). My goal is to become healthy and ideally without the use of so much flippin' medication. I'd rather live as holistically happy as possible.

Anyway, I have a ton to learn, perhaps some trouble putting it in action (like my strenght training). Machines scare me. I hope to find support here and insight--maybe a little pushing when needed.

Replies

• klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar to you- started by eliminating gluten- hypothyroid, insulin resistance, high triglycerides... Been on Keto a little over a month and feeling pretty good. My husband is doing it with me and we've both lost around ten pounds. I don't lift heavy, but I bike heavy (two largish kids on a cargo bike) and I also enjoy a vodka with diet coke on occasion- it's been fine. I also had a glass of dry red wine the other night. Good luck!
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Nice to have someone going through something similar. I was spinning up until a few weeks ago and stalled my weight until recently. It was overkill I guess. So it's back to walking the dogs a few nights a week and draggin my butt to the gym for strength train ( I have yet to establish a routine on the latter).

My drawback to drinking is that I MUST eat otherwise I'll be very sick the next day. Being on keto has its limitations when you're surrounded by chips, bread, and pasta. Next time I'll stash beef jerky in my purse.