Advice for getting back into swimming?

Options
terar21
terar21 Posts: 523 Member
I was a club swimmer much of my youth and did high school swimming but once I got into college, I stopped all together. Eight years later, I recently started back trying to swim a couple of times a week and I'm SO out of shape (really out of shape for fitness in general so that's the major problem).

I've come up with my own "plan" as far as things I need to do to get back into shape. I'm doing 1600 meters total and breaking it up into doing 100m freestyles to build endurance, laps focused on building up my breathing (sadly the best I can do is every 5 strokes for 50m), 25m sprints (free and back), and laps with kicking only because I know my legs are what really lost strength. I feel a little all over the place but I think these are the areas I need to focus on to get back into shape. Maybe I should try only focuses on one of those things a session? I guess the problem is that I'm focused on doing 1600 every time and I know I can't do 1600 broken out into 25m sprints because I'll tire out very quickly.

I was never a distance swimmer. Very short sprinter. My races were freestyle sprints (50 and 100, 200 every now and then) and backstroke sprints/relay legs.

Any advice on a plan I should be following? I've looked online but I've found that they segment into beginners and intermediate for workers but no advice on workers for lazy intermediate just getting back into the pool :)

Replies

• Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    fins :) and a kick board

or a pull boy depends where you feel your not working hard :)