Salad dressings recipe!

Options
All,

I must confess - I do not enjoy salads and am very apprehensive about the store bought salad dressings as I am constantly haunted by thoughts like - these might have several fatty fat fat ingredients, this smells weird, may be this has eggs / fish or etc etc!

Last week, I attempted to prepare my own salad dressing and loved it! Want to get creative with this and I welcome all ideas, website links , recipes!

Here is what I tried!

One tablespoon fat free greek yogurt, 4-5 mint leaves, hal;f teaspoon dill seeds, two tablespoon roasted sesame seeds, ground pepper a pinch, 2 tablespoon olive oil, half teaspoon chopped garlic, salt, water / buttermilk if required.

Replies

• jasneet12
    jasneet12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love salads and often experiment with the dressings! I usually just add individual items that i like and its always tasty!

A regular favourite is: olive oil, lemon juice or orange juice, honey, mustard, salt & freshly ground pepper

A good salad that we really enjoy as a family:

Reg Cabbage and Apple Salad:

Chop up red cabbage into long strips. Roast some coriander seeds. Crush in a mortar pestle along with black pepper corns. in a bowl add curd, crushed roaster coriander seeds, black pepper, mustard sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, salt. Mix well.

Add chopped onions to the cabbage. Also grate an apple or two into the cabbage. Immediately add the dressing and mix!

Lots of flavour and texture.
  • Sparklever
    Sparklever Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Jasneet! That sounds yumm! Thanks for sharing.. I really need to start trying different combinations! Grated apple, orange juice - I must try!!

dumb question though - when you say mustard - do you mean mustard sauce?
  • jasneet12
    Options
    yes i do mean mustard sauce. i like the honey + mustard sauce combination mainly because of the sweetness of the honey and punch of the mustard sauce.
  • jasneet12
    Options
    2 more salads that we get in office:

1. Carrot with Tadka: Grate the carrots. Prepare a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and toss into the carrots. You can add roasted peanuts to the tadka.

2. Pachadi: This is more like cucumber raita; but its super tasty. Grate cucumber in a bowl of curd. Add salt and pepper as per your taste. Roast and coarsely grind peanuts. Make a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves & green chillies. Also add the roasted peanuts and then add to the raita. I find it a very cooling dish.
  • Sparklever
    Sparklever Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    2 more salads that we get in office:

1. Carrot with Tadka: Grate the carrots. Prepare a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and toss into the carrots. You can add roasted peanuts to the tadka.

2. Pachadi: This is more like cucumber raita; but its super tasty. Grate cucumber in a bowl of curd. Add salt and pepper as per your taste. Roast and coarsely grind peanuts. Make a tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves & green chillies. Also add the roasted peanuts and then add to the raita. I find it a very cooling dish.

Yumm!! The first one sounds more like the southindian carrot palya! I so have forgotten about this.. Thanks Jasneet!
  • balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Southwest Salad at Trader Joes is the worlds best salad. Dare to miss it.