Major milestone: exercise!

KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
I wrote this first on my blog but I don't think it'll get that many visits and I just had to share! I'm so happy! This is a HUGE event for me!

I woke up with the wish to move! To move for no reason, to move to stretch my body. Anyone has any idea just how unusual that is?!?

It has been more than 10 years since the thought of moving with no objective has entered my mind. And don't tell me "getting fit" is an objective because it never was. Still isn't. Between running and reading a book I'll always choose the book. Every time I exercised (when I was very young or on very few occasions during the last 20 years), it was because I had fun doing it.

I was already very self conscious when I was half the size I am today. Joining a gym is out of the question.

But today a revolutionary thought entered my brain: I could have fun, a time for myself, and do this at home. I work from home 80% of the time, I could make this work IF I really wanted to.

Enter youtube search. Lots and lots of exercise videos, featuring very energetic people smiling and spending in 5 minutes more energy than I use to live in a day.

And then I found it! Bollywood dance! I know, I know, but I like it. I love Bollywood movies, all the colour and happiness. I chose this:
http://youtu.be/nXMXUjX5wCM

I waited for my husband to leave, turned the AC to blasting cold and started following the movements with all the grace of a drunken elephant. In 5 minutes I was sweating as if I was in Delhi. And that was just the warming up!

I lasted 20 minutes. But what's extraordinary is, I had fun! I laughed at my vain attempts to emulate the women easily shaking this and that part of their bodies. I laughed imagining me in one of the Bollywood movies I love.

When I gave up I was almost unable to breath, my legs and arms shaking so much I had difficulty getting in the shower. And then, as I felt the water falling on my skin, a powerful wave of emotion took control and I started crying. Not of happiness and certainly not of unhappiness. I don't know what happened but I just stayed there, shaking and crying for no reason.

While I was still under the endorphins of exercise, I added an exercise goal: 15 minutes of Bollywood Dance, 5 days a week. Such a very modest goal and yet I'm so proud of myself for daring assume it.

My next goal will be to last the whole one hour video!

Bollywood Dance is supposed to burn an enormous amount of calories, but not at my pace I think, lol. So I entered 1/3 of what the online estimates were. Even that may be generous but I have to hope I'll be able to improve.

I think all the people here sharing their exercise goals and accomplishments have planted the seed in my brain! Thank you!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    That is phenomenal! Keep up the good work! It doesn't matter WHAT exercise you do as long as YOU enjoy it enough to STICK WITH IT! Moving your body is the important thing. Such an awesome story. I love it!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    What I love about these boards, I am constantly finding inspiration!! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your accomplishment!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    That's awesome!!! Stick to your goal!! It is so worth it, I promise!
  • ScottLynn98
    ScottLynn98 Posts: 13 Member
    Congratulations! I can feel the emotion in your writing. You have much to be proud of! Mark it on the calendar!!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    GIRL - i am so proud of you! that is awesome!!! don't worry about if you are burning as many calories as someone else...you are burning more calories than when you sat and read the book, and that is what matters!

i am very excited for you. i know what a huge step this is for you. i noticed you had posted the bollywood dance on your home page as exercise and i thought, "wow how fun!!!"

KEEP IT UP! YOU ARE AMAZING! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Thank you all for your kind words. You're such an inspiration!

:flowerforyou:
  • That's awesome!! I'm even more inspired today to tie up my running shoes!!
  • Yay KetoGirl! I understand the miracle of feeling like movement! That's huge. There are many interesting and powerful changes afoot! :)
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    That's awesome!! I'm even more inspired today to tie up my running shoes!!

Exactly this ^^^^^^

You were inspired and you have now inspired others to take that extra step! Ultimately, life is about feeling good and embracing the health we have. Thank you for sharing, I am delighted for you xx