Bike opinion?

Options
dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
So the 2 duathlons I've done, I used my trusty Schwinn mountain bike. I like her a lot & have no plans to get rid of her, but I do need a road bike to be a little more, well, competitive. So I started looking on ole Craigslist, and this one just caught my eye:

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/bik/4666271754.html

I'm planning on going to take a look @ it tonight, if the weather holds (been having a ton of rain here lately, with more forecast tonight!), so what does everyone think? I know it' not a Cannondale, or a spiffy tri-bike, but as an entry-level, 1st road bike...?

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I can't see where it says what size the frame is - that's my number one consideration for a bike. I'd rather have the cheapest piece of metal going that is the right size, than the most expensive bike in the world that is the wrong size.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I can't see where it says what size the frame is - that's my number one consideration for a bike. I'd rather have the cheapest piece of metal going that is the right size, than the most expensive bike in the world that is the wrong size.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    So an update: I went out & looked @ the bike. Rode it & did a few other tests...and I like it., Really like it Bought it for less than the asking price. Brought it home, then today washed it (ok, them both actually), lubed it up & finally got to "play" with it.

I love it! Moves quick, and is a smooth ride. Just has regular pedals on it, although it did also come with clip less ones. (I have time yet before I work up to those. For now, I ordered toe clips like I have on my mountain bike today, hopefully they will be in soon!) My son rode with me today (He on my mountain bike & me on the road bike, although I'm sure he would have preferred it the other way around!) so I had to slow down a bit for a good portion of the ride so he could keep up, and when we got home & I told him that, he said, and I quote: "That was you riding SLOW?" - I'll take that as a NSV! - I'll still take it to a bike shop in the not too distant future to have an expert have a look at it, after all, I'm still learning, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Even the seat seems to be at a good level, the only thing I see I'd like to change is the "slope", it is kind of even, and I kind of like it tilted back a little. But other than that, I'm a happy biker - no more "fat tire" ...on to the age groupers for me!