What are your thoughts on Aspartame?

Options
I mean, I know in general it's not great for you. But I mean in terms of stalling weight loss. I've read that it can bring on a stall if you have too much of it.

The reason I ask, is I was making this amazing concoction where I folded soft set, sugar free orange jello in with whipped heavy cream and let it set. It was like a carb free creamsicle. *drools* I stopped making it when I was stalled, because I thought it may have been a contributing factor......however quitting it didn't affect my weight loss at all.....and I'm having a craving for something that isn't meat or cheese and is fresh, sweet, and carb free.

Replies

• CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You know.....I think I know the answer to this one on my own.

I think it's "It will be ok to eat the jello as long as, this time, you use some moderation with it. You know, as opposed to standing there with the fridge open, eating it directly out of the serving bowl with an extra large spoon until it's all gone."

:wink:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners can be different for each person and their reaction to it.

If you ate the whole bowl, which includes whatever amount of whipped heavy cream...that's a lot of calories. 1 tablespoon of heavy cream that I have is 50 calories.

Preportion them out. To help with it you could start making them in muffin tins and then put each individual serving in a small tupperware container. I have them on hand from when I made baby food and they barely are big enough to fit two ice cubes in them.
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    MelRC, I love your ideas! I will have to try that myself!!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    it makes my head hurt... I like raw stevia
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners can be different for each person and their reaction to it.

If you ate the whole bowl, which includes whatever amount of whipped heavy cream...that's a lot of calories. 1 tablespoon of heavy cream that I have is 50 calories.

Preportion them out. To help with it you could start making them in muffin tins and then put each individual serving in a small tupperware container. I have them on hand from when I made baby food and they barely are big enough to fit two ice cubes in them.

OK. I have a sincere question (as in I'm not intending to be sarcastic or snarky because tone is hard to read online):

It was recommended to me before that increase my fats.....how do I do that and still limit calories?

I was actually thinking the jello with HC was a good way to increase my fat. It's not, then? Or maybe, more accurately, it IS, but don't go overboard. <--- thinking this is probably the answer :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

OK. I have a sincere question (as in I'm not intending to be sarcastic or snarky because tone is hard to read online):

It was recommended to me before that increase my fats.....how do I do that and still limit calories?

I was actually thinking the jello with HC was a good way to increase my fat. It's not, then? Or maybe, more accurately, it IS, but don't go overboard. <--- thinking this is probably the answer :smile:

Well, it depends on the nutritional breakdown of each serving and how well that meshes with your goals :wink:

I made a delicious cheesecake the other day that was about 325 cal per slice & about 30g of fat each.
    While I'm still trying to tap into my fat stores, I'm eating a slice every day, but cutting fat elsewhere so that I don't exceed it.

For me, I've discovered macros make a bigger difference than calories, especially because of my goals.
    I aim to lose body fat & maintain muscle while I continue progressive lifting.

So far so good. I aim to meet or exceed my protein requirement per day, stay under fat by about 40-50g and stay under 20g net carbs per day.....calories be damned :laugh:

When I decide it's maintenance time, I'll bring my fat back up to whatever is left after I hit my protein & carb amounts.
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Hmmm....it would seem I need to look into macros. Thanks!
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Also, I just now went and bought The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, so hopefully I can stop with the dumb questions soon!
  • hookilau
    Options
    Hmmm....it would seem I need to look into macros. Thanks!

Someone recommended to me, 'Optimal Ketogenic Living' (a group on FB).
    I'm using their program (based on Phinney & Volek) for recommended macros & was able to break through a multiple month long stall.

I'm also looking different & I'm adding more weight to my lifts at the gym every week.

As I understand it, dietary fat is burned in a proprietary fashion. I got stuck in a high fat cycle and ended up burning the fat I was taking in, while protecting that jiggly mass I thought I was tapping into -___-

I'm not a fan of FB, but if you join the group, there's a chart & a slightly more structured program to help you get on, if your goal is to lose fat.
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    I will confess I have a love / hate relationship with FB. I think social media is turning us into mental midgets....but I work at home, which means I'm here alone most days of the week, so I am also on there quite a bit because I need the socialization.

I will check out the group and see what I think. THANKS!
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Found it! Thanks again.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Higher fat doesn't necessarily mean higher overall calories. Usually eating low carb keeps your hunger in check and you end up eating fewer calories leading to weight loss. I think finding your macros will really help, and those can be different for each person. Eating what you did is good if you're looking at increasing your fats, but it should be then reducing your carbs/protein.

And don't worry about asking questions! It's also trial and error...you may find that yes, in fact, you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Once you get the LCHF macro down, you can look into also watching calories but in my experience (especially with a higher amount of weight to lose for me) that calories fell into place when I focused on keeping my macro ratio on point.
  • CARoberts73
    Options

Higher fat doesn't necessarily mean higher overall calories. Usually eating low carb keeps your hunger in check and you end up eating fewer calories leading to weight loss. I think finding your macros will really help, and those can be different for each person. Eating what you did is good if you're looking at increasing your fats, but it should be then reducing your carbs/protein.

And don't worry about asking questions! It's also trial and error...you may find that yes, in fact, you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Once you get the LCHF macro down, you can look into also watching calories but in my experience (especially with a higher amount of weight to lose for me) that calories fell into place when I focused on keeping my macro ratio on point.

Ahhh, gotcha! Thanks :D
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did Optimal Keto for awhile and stalled. Too much protein. I didn't gain, but no loss for awhile. I backed off the protein and upped my fat and now I'm losing again. I'll up my protein when I reach goal which is real soon now. The most important thing is stay under on the carbs. If you do that, eventually the fat will come off. Eating at a deficit helps too. But some will say otherwise.
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Thank you. I am losing right now, I went off over the weekend and restarted Monday. My net carbs have been under 20 each day this week. Today.....er well TMI WARNING.....I might better have moved my desk into the bathroom. So the water weight is coming back off, and the scale agrees with this assessment.

I feel like, I need to get the water out and once my weight stabilizes from that, I will see if the weight loss stops again. If it does, then I will know for sure that what I thought was a "stall" last time, was really me just not losing anything more than water. That's when I'm really going to start looking at my macros and fats.

In the meantime.....I need to get that book read. ;)
  • hookilau
    Options
    I did Optimal Keto for awhile and stalled. Too much protein. I didn't gain, but no loss for awhile. I backed off the protein and upped my fat and now I'm losing again. I'll up my protein when I reach goal which is real soon now. The most important thing is stay under on the carbs. If you do that, eventually the fat will come off. Eating at a deficit helps too. But some will say otherwise.

How long did it take before you stalled?
    I don't have a lot to lose, about 10-15 pounds left (maybe less). I don't know if it's the weight training, but before I increased the protein, I wasn't able to add weight to my lifts. Now I'm going up every week :wink: