Apples, non-soluble fiber, and gut bacteria.

Options

Replies

• radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that - very interesting. I guess I will try a Granny Smith this week.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I eat Granny Smith's <3
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you want good gut bacteria, eat wide variety of fruit and vegetables all the time as well as other sources of fibre, not just granny smith apples. If you want to learn more about Gut Bacteria, i can recommend an excellent show which you can find on youtube called Catalyst - Gut Reaction. This show is an Australia public broadcast science show. There a some minor oversimplifications in the show which can be resolved by reading the wikipedia entry on Gut Flora which i recommend after rather than before because its a pretty detailed entry. Since watching this show, i have paid a little more attention to my fibre content and have benefitted from improved bowel action though i know we can't see or feel the more profound differences that a regular diet of fibre makes to our bodies and health.
  • Jerilang
    Jerilang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOVE apples. I try to eat at least 2 a day. I also drink a teas of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Good for the gut, and I feel kind of bloated if I drink water plain. Don't know why.
  • Jerilang
    Options
    And now that I read the study, I guess I better get some Granny Smith. I don't really care for them, kind of tart, but sometimes you just have to do what's good for you :wink:
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Unless apples are organic (and even if so) they should be cleaned fastidiously with food & veggie wash. Non organic apples are sprayed regularly for a wide variety of insects & disease.

If it's perfect it's most likely been treated in one or more forms with chemicals. Out of season fruit is coated with waxy substance and put in storage which is why you can get a crispy apple in the middle of summer. Wash that off.

Years ago I attended fruit growers seminar at Rodale Institute. USDA expert from NY stated that NE US is most difficult area to grow fruits due to over 250 potential pests. Then there are all the workers who harvest, pack, sort, bag, display foods touching each piece of fruit.

Who knows sanitation facilities & habits of all those people. Clean food is important for clean eating.
  • Jerilang
    Options
    It seems as though all the grocery stores here in southern Oregon are now offering a choice of organic fruits and veggies. I even wash organic oranges off before eating. I have the option of buying organic bags of apples from Costco, but so far they have not been as flavorful as the ones I hand pick at other stores.