Vegetarian meal ideas?

Options
Hi all! I became a vegetarian a bit more than a year ago, and I really need some inspiration for vegetarian recipes, I'm running out of ideas to get excited about.

(Also, good soup recipes are encouraged now that I'm getting into the fall spirit. Maybe a vegetarian French Onion that someone has tried).

Thanks so much for the help!

Replies

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have lots of ideas!

Butternut squash soup:
    Serves 3-4.

Ingredients
    1 medium-large butternut squash or two small (fresh, organic, and local if possible)
    1 box (950mL) of organic low sodium vegetable broth (and possibly more)
    1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1-inch piece of fresh ginger, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    1 tsp sea salt
    thyme
    cinnamon
    fresh ground pepper
    sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds, roasted
    Directions

Heat oven to 350°F.
    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Cut the butternut squash in half and remove seeds. Lay the halves facedown on the baking sheet.
    Bake the squash for a half to one hour depending on the size of the squash. It should be easily pierced with a fork when done.
    In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Sautee until just the onions are opaque.
    Add 4 cups (1 box) of vegetable broth.
    Add the baked skinned squash, and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Using a blender, puree the mixture in batches, adding more vegetable broth as needed to get a smooth thick creamy soup. Depending on the size of the squash, you may have to add more veggie broth.
    Toast the almonds or pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet in a 300 oven for 18 minutes.
    Serve the soup topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh ground black pepper and toasted almonds pumpkin seeds on top.

Vegetarian Chili:
    Serves 4.

Ingredients
    2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 celery stalks, chopped
    1-2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1-3 tsp garlic powder) – optional
    3 carrots, peeled and coined
    1 Tbsp dried oregano
    1-2 tsp cumin
    1-2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp sea salt
    ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
    ¼-1 tsp chili pepper flakes
    2 tins (2x 400mL) diced tomatoes
    1 can (14oz) kidney beans
    1 can (14oz) pinto beans
    1 can (6oz) tomato paste
    1 cup frozen organic yellow corn
    Directions

In a large pot, sauté the oil with the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots until soft, about 10 – 15 minutes.
    Add the spices (chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and optional chili pepper flakes) and sauté for another minute.
    Add the canned tomatoes, beans and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for ½-1 hour.
    Add the corn, simmer 5 more minutes. Serve with a small fresh salad to start.

Not soup, but one of my favorites:
    Zippy Kale Stir-fry:
    Serves 4.

Ingredients
    1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper, sliced
    1 can (398mL) diced tomatoes
    1 can (398mL) chickpeas
    1-inch piece of ginger, grated
    1 tsp turmeric spice powder
    dash of red chili peppers
    1 bunch of washed kale, torn into pieces
    ½ cup hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)
    Directions

Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet.
    Sauté onions and peppers until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes.
    Add diced tomatoes with juices and chickpeas along with the grated ginger, turmeric spice powder, sea salt and red chili peppers. Mix everything together well.
    Add kale and heat just until wilted and bright green.
    Remove from heat and add hemp hearts
    Serve warm, optionally over rice or potatoes.

Let me know if you want more/others. Hope this helps.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You can make a french onion soup using miso as a base instead of beef broth. It tastes really good
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Easy veggie soup...

Look in your fridge or garden to see what veggies you have. things that work great include carrots, celery, onion, kale, spinach, beets, potatoes

Put half the veggies in the blender with a bit of water, run until not quite puree.

Chop rest of veggies into bite sized pieces. Saute these in a bit of olive oil.

Add pureed veggies and a big bottle of V8 juice (64oz). Add garlic, salt and pepper if desired and a bay leaf. Sometimes I'll add a dash of turmeric, rosemary, thyme or whatever sp9ce jumps out at me that day.

Cook on medium until hot, make sure it's long enough for the bay leaf to add its flavor.

This freezes well, so make a big pot and freeze individual portions. or eat it for days, it just gets better and better.

If you want, you can garnish with fresh basil, parslwy or even cilantro or a wedge of lemon or lime.
  • archiebrowns
    Options
    Hi, Archie Browns here, new to this group and looking for friends! <3

We have a health food shop and vegetarian cafe in Cornwall, UK, so our passion is whipping up tasty vegetarian recipes. One of our favourites is our Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry...it has lots of medicinal herbs and spices that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and cardio-protective properties. It's a great way of enjoying food as fuel, but also as medicine.

10369748_10152154045864422_2554017770022793954_n.jpg

The recipe can be found on our blog here: http://www.archiebrowns.co.uk/blog/2014/08/28/sweet-potato-spinach-curry/)