On heavy exercise days...

Do you ever up your calories or protein? I ran 6 miles + was on my feet a lot throughout the day. Gives me hunger pangs so I ate some "extra" homemade beef jerky tonight. I feel a ton better. Anyone else need to make certain adjustments on their heavy workout days?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    i have not eaten more on days i work-out since i have started keto. (still new)
    i think you'll be fine...if you're hungry, you need it :smile:

**ETA to change wording to make more sense LOL
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    It sounds like you may need to up your protein in general.. I am 5'8 and eat over 100 grams a day.. I exercise hard 6 days a week and do it in a fasted state with no problems..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Do you ever up your calories or protein? I ran 6 miles + was on my feet a lot throughout the day. Gives me hunger pangs so I ate some "extra" homemade beef jerky tonight. I feel a ton better. Anyone else need to make certain adjustments on their heavy workout days?

I sure do :laugh:
    There are some days I just have unreasonable hunger.
    I feed the beast :blushing: Usually with something that packs at least 20g of protein shuts that sucker up for hours :wink:
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    When you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. I try to listen to my body, and not worry too much about calories. There are days I am well below my calorie goal, and days I am way above. I do however try to keep my carbs as low as possible, so if I am hungry I will eat food that is high in fat and some protein, because it will satisfy my hunger.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Nope, I just enjoy the endorphin high

I assume you have a normal pre and post work out food routine ?
  • It sounds like you may need to up your protein in general.. I am 5'8 and eat over 100 grams a day.. I exercise hard 6 days a week and do it in a fasted state with no problems..

Well, I eat proteins set within ketogenic diet guidelines -- between 1.5gm to 2.5 gm/ KG of LBM. I just think i need to make adjustments on days that I burn far greater calories.
  • Nope, I just enjoy the endorphin high

I assume you have a normal pre and post work out food routine ?

Not really, I eat 3 meals a day and spread my calories fairly evenly. I've never been an athlete but I'm trying to ramp up my general well-being with some walking/running
  • When you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. I try to listen to my body, and not worry too much about calories. There are days I am well below my calorie goal, and days I am way above. I do however try to keep my carbs as low as possible, so if I am hungry I will eat food that is high in fat and some protein, because it will satisfy my hunger.

I wish that worked for me but I have found that i really need to track and manage my foods in MFP or I have no idea what I'm doing and go way over or under in any category. Emotional eating is another issue I have so this really helps me stay on track.
  • dcristo213
    I would recommend you eat your exercise calories. The best thing about my lifestyle change to Keto is to avoid being hungry. If I am hungry it is because I have not eaten enough fat and/or calories. On keto, I am rarely hungry, but when I am I know that its time to eat more. I've also noticed that my calorie deficit for the week has nothing to do with my weight loss for the week.

That why I say eat if your hungry, this is not a starvation diet. You need to eat more fat to feel satisfied.
  • dcristo213
    When you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. I try to listen to my body, and not worry too much about calories. There are days I am well below my calorie goal, and days I am way above. I do however try to keep my carbs as low as possible, so if I am hungry I will eat food that is high in fat and some protein, because it will satisfy my hunger.

I wish that worked for me but I have found that i really need to track and manage my foods in MFP or I have no idea what I'm doing and go way over or under in any category. Emotional eating is another issue I have so this really helps me stay on track.

I track and manage everything I eat also. My biggest focus is keep carbs as low as possible. Then I make sure I meet my protein goal and meet or exceed my fat goal. My daily calorie goal is 1900, but I allow myself to go over up to 2400 if I am hungry. Also, if I work out, I often eat back my calories burned, if I am hungry.
  • Thanks.. I will eat up over my macros on those days I feel I need to.
  • Jen_o
    Jen_o Posts: 13 Member
    When I'm hungry, I find the high fat snack is better than the high protein one. Remember, too much protein is just as bad as having carbs. Make sure you're getting enough, but I've found that the fat keeps me from feeling hungry much longer than the protein.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    <When you are hungry, eat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. >

This is what i do, i don't run 6 miles but i am much happier after starting to listen to my body. i do work out sometimes twice a day and have days where i am on my feet entirely.