Get another trainer?

Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
Hi thanks for taking the time to respond and for all the advice you give. I have been lifting for about two years happily. Lately I plateaued on my lifts( I don't care about my weight it is normal)
But my lifts are all stuck at about 1.3x bodyweight. Bench is the worst but I am female.
So I got a personal trainer who I like. After three sessions I asked her to train me for a powerlifting competition.
She thought about it. And said she had never done one - lets do it together.

Now it is a few weeks later- I've made the arrangements to be off work, I bought the unflattering suit etc.
Do I need a different trainer? She is checking in with her trainer and getting lots of advice. She picked the meet etc.

This is not the most important thing in my life but I want to do it well. Do I need a different trainer???

Thanks again to anyone who responds

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much experience does your trainer have with training the "Big 3" for strength? Is she knowledgeable re powerlifting.

I would not really be concerned that she does not have PLing experience for your first meet - I never had one. However, if you want a PT to help you, they should at least be good at training the 3 lifts as well as become knowledgeable about routines to improve performance in them as well as about PL meets and rules in general.

I suppose it really comes down to whether you enjoy training with them and your expectations.

If you lifts are all 1.3x BW- that's a little odd. 1.3 x BW for a female on bench is actually very high. Usually it goes bench < squats < deads. Your pulls should be higher than bench (although some people have their squats close to their bench or on the other side and near to their squat).

When is the meet?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    The meet is dec 13 in Lincoln city or.
    I don't bench 1.3x body weight , I bench .7x body weight, dl 1.5x bodyweight squat 1.35 x bodyweight. I am really lightweight myself 109.
    I got the trainer because I wanted to lift heavier and I don't want a new one. I was just getting nervous.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Does your trainer have a good understanding of how to teach the big 3 lifts?

Does she know the basic rules of a powerlifting meet as far as commands for the lifts, and what constitutes a "legal" lift vs not?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern would be appropriate programming for peaking at the meet.
    *edit: ..and ensuring your lifts are within the lift federation rules.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    These are all good questions.

She has helped me improve my lifts. Like I didn't know that my traps were failing in my dls so we worked on that

I will ask her these things.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Your run of the mill trainer is probably not appropriate for your goals. Find a trainer that power lifts.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I'm a PT.

I wouldn't trust any of the PT's at my gym to train someone to a powerlifting competition. (except me :laugh: but I actually compete)
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The meet is dec 13 in Lincoln city or.
    Are you sure it's in Lincoln City? There's a meet that day in Newport but I didn't know about a Lincoln City one...
    I agree that you should try to find a trainer that powerlifts, however, depending on where you live that might take some searching. What town do you live in? Corvallis has a powerlifting gym and Portland has some amazing ones too. Also, congrats on entering your first meet!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Hey I am in Portland
    It is in Newport- will you be there??I am a light weight and a newbie, just old ( over 40)
    - So my trainer power lifts- she is just young and has not competed before. I work out in a large commercial gym, just needed some more motivation so I signed up for the meet. I am going to continue with her, but I will get other advice inevitably.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'll be there... glad to know I won't be the only newbie! I'm definitely not lightweight class but apparently we'll both be competing in Masters? You should definitely review the USPA rulebook as it has a ton of information about what's legal to wear and the guidelines for good lifts. Even if your trainer is familiar with the regulations it helps if you know what they're looking for too. If you don't have a copy I can send you a link.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This new version of forums is doing odd things ...my original post is not showing up...unless SS decided to delete ;-P