Resistance routine for a cardio boy

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi Guys,

Just rejoined the gym after a few years absense. In meantime only resistance work has been from rock climbing and P90X. I cycle a LOT (20 miles a day work commute). I also run, but at the moment thats taken a step back due to achiles injury.

I'd like to get back into lifting, since I know that a good resistance routine along with some cardio, nutrition and rest are the keys to success. However, i can't see myself able to do much less cardio, the 20 mile a day (10 each way about 35 mins) won't stop, might do 3-4 days as winter comes and drive the rest though.

I'd like to do a 3 day a week weights routine while on a calorie deficit, I'm 29 and 200lbs/~29%BF and would like to lose about 35lbs. I've looked into various strength routines such as 5x5, 5/3/1 and Starting Strength, but a lot of them are geared towards maintenance and calorie surplus for strength gains, I'm guessing due to the low reps. Having trouble finding something decent thats likely to work for me that won't absolutely ruin me since I'll be doing the cardio on my on and off days aswell for my commute. (except maybe weekends). I'm pretty savvy with all the moves and the lingo. I'd love to do a squat/deadlift/bench press/overhead press/row type routine maybe with some pull ups (even though I can only do 1 or 2 atm). But all the ones I can find are the low reps like 5x5, which if I'm honest I'd actually love to do, but its so leg heavy with squats every workout, I just don't think thats possible with all the cycling I do.

Any tips would be ace.

Replies

• n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 will suit you fine. Just start very light on the lower body work and give yourself time to adapt. Don't worry about lifting on a deficit for now, start worrying about that when you start stalling.

Have fun.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Thanks for the response, its funny a lot of things I've read and people i've spoken to have reaffirmed the 'dont worry about it until you start to stall'. If that is the case, would it be bad to just do 5x5? I only ask because I really like the simplicity of that program, and that damned good app they have, while everything I've read is that 5/3/1 is more of an intermediate program (while I've been on P90x and had some experience with lifting, I would consider myself quite amateur in the 'power lifting' scene').

My issue with 5x5 is more the emphasis on constant legwork and if that will massively affect my bicycling, or if the bicycling will massively affect my squats. But if I was to approach it with the attitude of 'dont worry till I start to stall', should that also be relevant with stop worrying about the effect of riding and squatting on my legs until i've stopped progressing?

I hope that makes sense! Thank you for your response.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, its funny a lot of things I've read and people i've spoken to have reaffirmed the 'dont worry about it until you start to stall'. If that is the case, would it be bad to just do 5x5? I only ask because I really like the simplicity of that program, and that damned good app they have, while everything I've read is that 5/3/1 is more of an intermediate program (while I've been on P90x and had some experience with lifting, I would consider myself quite amateur in the 'power lifting' scene').

My issue with 5x5 is more the emphasis on constant legwork and if that will massively affect my bicycling, or if the bicycling will massively affect my squats. But if I was to approach it with the attitude of 'dont worry till I start to stall', should that also be relevant with stop worrying about the effect of riding and squatting on my legs until i've stopped progressing?

I hope that makes sense! Thank you for your response.

I understand and agree with you for the most part.

You could start with 5x5 and just see how it goes. If you need to reduce squatting frequency or if you stall out you could modify from there and in that case 5/3/1 could be reasonable.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Thanks SideSteel (and thanks for this group and all the great info you've put up, I've been a lurking fan!), I'm quite tempted to give it a go, maybe even having the one of the 5x5 days being on a weekend so I wouldn't be riding on that day.

And actually on that note, what's more conflicting in my goals, riding on same day as squatting or riding on my rest day from squatting?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks SideSteel (and thanks for this group and all the great info you've put up, I've been a lurking fan!), I'm quite tempted to give it a go, maybe even having the one of the 5x5 days being on a weekend so I wouldn't be riding on that day.

And actually on that note, what's more conflicting in my goals, riding on same day as squatting or riding on my rest day from squatting?

I would tend to put them on the same day so that you can recover adequately for your next session but I'd not make that a universally true claim. So example would be squat, eat a bunch, ride later that day, rest day, repeat, or something along those lines.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Thanks, sadly that bring it onto my gf also wanting to start a resistance routine but wanting us to go together as she is scared of the gym. And she can only go in evenings. So that'll be workout after a full days commute. Maybe I will drive on those days! Or convince her to start in the morning.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Start reading through Jay DiCharry's (out of Bend, OR) work. He works with a lot of endurance athletes and is a huge proponent of lifting heavy.

I think going through a progression of 5x5 would probably be a good choice for starting out. I've found as a guy that does Ironman distance races that I can follow the protocol with 1 heavy day of squatting and deads per week, and if my volume is low for the block of training I can fit a lighter day of squats in that helps flush out the legs.

As far as whether to schedule rides and squats on the same day I think you're just going to have to play with it a bit. For instance I wouldn't schedule a ride that includes tons of climbing on the same day as a heavy squat day. One is going to suffer. Same with a low RPM/high watt day on the trainer. However a heavy squat day and a nice light ride in the afternoon, or cadence building workout might flush the legs. Again everyone is different. Just play with it.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Thanks very much. Think I will give it a go. At least until either the cycling or the squats start to suffer. I still have the issue that for at least weekdays I'm most likely going to be working out AFTER work. Which means on an average day it'll be wake up, cycle 10 miles (mostly flat), work, cycle 10 miles home, then go to gym.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. Think I will give it a go. At least until either the cycling or the squats start to suffer. I still have the issue that for at least weekdays I'm most likely going to be working out AFTER work. Which means on an average day it'll be wake up, cycle 10 miles (mostly flat), work, cycle 10 miles home, then go to gym.

That's not too bad, if the 10 miles after work can be kept gentle, then it'll be like an extended warm-up. Especially if you have some time between getting home, and then getting to gym.

I've found with similar routine you gotta do the snacks right. Snack prior to ride home so not digging too badly in to glucose stores, and then another snack in-between to replenish what you did use.
    Just experiment.

Maybe every 2 weeks as the weight lifting progresses, make that leg day a drive to/from work, and compare how the workout goes to when you ride to/from work.
    If not noticeable, doesn't matter yet. If you can't believe the difference, test out the food idea, or indeed drive on squat days.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Thanks Scott for the Jay DiCharry recommend, some good stuff.

And thanks heybales aswell. I think I have to let go and realise that I don't have to get it 100% right before I start, I should just do what I can and see what works and how I feel.

I might repost a similar but perhaps more refined question on the main forums, if I do I want you guys to know I'm not doing because you haven't given me good information. It's just I know there are some very good people on the forums that might not see this group and having more opinions certainly doesn't hurt. But I'm certainly encouraged by what I read here so thanks very much, looks like I'm gonna be feeling it in my legs!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    How fast are those 10 mile rides? If you're going 12 mph, then you aren't really doing more than walking and you can lift as much as you want and it won't affect you. If you are riding at 25 mph or 300+ watts, then that 10 miles is like a real workout. Still don't think lifting would have a big negative impact. Only way to know is to start 5x5 3x a week and see what happens.