Looking for Keto MFP Friends

Options
MirandaB24
MirandaB24 Posts: 54 Member
Hello there,
I started Keto 3 weeks ago, and I'm looking for some Keto friends. I've been on MFP for a long time, but don't know a lot of folks in the Keto community. Keto has been going well, but a little slow for me. I'm not sure if I need to up my fat or cut my calories or what? I lost 4 lbs the first week and have been at a stand still ever since (lost .2 this morning, fingers crossed). I hurt my back last week and was taking pain medication, so I think that's part of the problem. Anyhoo just curious about the habits of the uber successful and looking to make some new friends.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like.

The first thing I would try is up the fat. Do that for a bit. If it still isn't working at that point, then try a little bit of a calorie deficit. I'm one of those who need some deficit to lose on keto after a certain point. I did fine the first month and then had to get tracking and watch the calories.

Have your measurements changed though? That's my soap-box point, and I'm sure people get tired of me saying this, but keep taking your measurements. Often things are going on in the body while the scale just sits there or bounces. The scale is really only part of the story.

And pain meds can cause you to retain water. Sore muscles retain water. Empty fat cells retain water while the body is deciding if it can live with the lost fat. So, there could be something going on there, too.

KCKO! (Keep Calm and Keto On)

Best wishes!
  • MirandaB24
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My measurements have pretty much been the same, however I feel like my face looks thinner. My diary is open, so feel free to take a peek, and don't worry, I will Keto on.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Just keep on keeping on and as this becomes more and more routine it becomes easier.

Good luck! It appears you and I have similar amounts to lose!
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You weight loss on scale will stall or even increase once in a while. Don't worry about the daily or weekly fluctuations, focus on the long term.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    you can add me :smile:
    i'm new, too.
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I sent you a request, I've been going at it over a month now. I don't get on scale often because It drives me nuts, it doesn't add up to how I feel and how my clothes are fitting! So keep on keepin on & you will see results for sure!
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Pick me! I'll be your friend! <raised hands waving to and fro>

:tongue:

I started around the same time you did and slipped into ketosis this morning. No fat lost yet. If your body is like mine, and many others, it's a stubborn little brat at times. Some fine tuning on your macros is a good call. Maybe change up your exercise level. I found I was doing too much cardio.

Welcome!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new too, so feel free to add me!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My measurements have pretty much been the same, however I feel like my face looks thinner. My diary is open, so feel free to take a peek, and don't worry, I will Keto on.

Not just measurement measurements, but also non-tangibles like how are you are sleeping, energy levels, appetite, moods...

There's so much more going on than just weight loss.
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sent friend request
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Sent FR. :flowerforyou:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Looks like in the past 2 weeks your carb count has creeped up some. To get into ketosis in the first place, carbs need to be under 50g. And a great many need to be even lower to get in there. I think once you were as high as 72g so you might have gotten kicked out. I keep mine under 30g. That's gross carbs not net carbs. And once the fat-adapted-burner is cranking, some people can kick them back up to 50g and stay in ketosis.

So I suggest, this being what I would personally do, is bring those back down to a low level for a week to make sure you are in ketosis, then inch them back up no higher than 50g. That's from a pure ketosis perspective. Keeping the fat high and the protein moderate. It's not keeping an average, it's keeping an even level under the threshold. But of course YMMV.

Just my thoughts and the "What would baconslave do?" perspective. You can take or chuck it as you like. :smile:
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Happy to be friends with anyone living keto. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Not just measurement measurements, but also non-tangibles like how are you are sleeping, energy levels, appetite, moods...

i agree with this. i have noticed other things (someone commented on my face glowing!)
    over time, weight loss will occur, but in the meantime, try to use other milestones for inspiration :smile:
  • MirandaB24
    Options
    Looks like in the past 2 weeks your carb count has creeped up some. To get into ketosis in the first place, carbs need to be under 50g. And a great many need to be even lower to get in there. I think once you were as high as 72g so you might have gotten kicked out. I keep mine under 30g. That's gross carbs not net carbs. And once the fat-adapted-burner is cranking, some people can kick them back up to 50g and stay in ketosis.

So I suggest, this being what I would personally do, is bring those back down to a low level for a week to make sure you are in ketosis, then inch them back up no higher than 50g. That's from a pure ketosis perspective. Keeping the fat high and the protein moderate. It's not keeping an average, it's keeping an even level under the threshold. But of course YMMV.

Just my thoughts and the "What would baconslave do?" perspective. You can take or chuck it as you like. :smile:
    I did have a couple high days, but I was under 50g net both days most days I'm between 20-30g net. Should I be under 20g gross? Because I like veggies, and I already feel l'm restricting them a lot. I use the ketostyx, and as far as I can tell I did not go out of keto. Also, should I be counting calories. I used the keto calculator to calculate my macros and calories. How big of acdeficit do you recommend? Should I be counting at all? Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.
  • MirandaB24
    Options

i agree with this. i have noticed other things (someone commented on my face glowing!)
    over time, weight loss will occur, but in the meantime, try to use other milestones for inspiration :smile:

And yes, I do feel better, and I've noticed an improvement in my mood, sleep and skin. I'm in it for the long haul, I'm just looking for some input to make sure I'm on the right track.
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just starting keto, feel free to add me!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the lchf for just 4 weeks now, so I don't feel established enough to give advice yet. But I did friend request you.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been strict keto for about 5 months now. Under 20g of carbs most days. 46lbs down. Add me if you want :)
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Boop a doop! 20g a day net. Feel free to friend! :)