I splurged and now a headache!

lulalacroix
lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
After 4 weeks on lchf, I spontaneously decided to splurge. I had a thin piece of chocolate cake, which tasted pretty boring. And about 3/4 c.of butter pecan ice cream. (I didn't measure for a change.) The ice cream tasted good but severely lacked pecans. :(

Now, about an hour later, I'm developing a headache. wtf? Any ideas? Sugar maybe?

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Probably the sugar spike is affecting you, yes. LCHF is hard to cheat on and feel okay especially the longer you live a ketogenic lifestyle. I went away for a weekend in August after 5 months of keto and ate what I wanted - felt pretty crappy the whole time (sluggish, bloated) and got a wicked flu for a day or two once I returned to keto. Hopefully you feel better soon!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Try eating some extra fat today- coconut oil, MCT oil. It will help get you back in balance.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Insulin spike. This is why I don't cheat. I really don't like feeling sick and I feel so good when I'm on plan.
  • Not sure about this or anything, but i wonder if it has to do with dehydration due to increased water from the glycogen storage (kicked out of ketosis and needing water badly).
  • lulalacroix
    Try eating some extra fat today- coconut oil, MCT oil. It will help get you back in balance.

Thank you. I definitely will!
  • lulalacroix
    Even though my piece of cake was small, I wonder if it's a gluten thing. I woke up with a sick stomach and bloating. I always wondered what would happen when I cheated with processed flour products - now I know.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Same thing happens to me if I cheat. I get a headache. I sometimes also feel vaguely like I'm drunk (sluggish thinking, not as sharp mentally). It's not a good feeling. It's an incentive not to splurge on very sugary food.